The best of roll n' writes

Has anybody here played Fleet: the dice game??

2 Likes

I’m just reading the rules now, as it turns out. Will report back!

1 Like

I got the new printing this week! Will report back once I have laminated.

1 Like

Yeah I’d love to say yes. Local stores have it slated for May here :frowning:

If this were my copy (it isn’t), I’d be looking to make the two sheets into a single, foldable leaflet when laminating. Feels like the nicest approach (though might restrict how thick you can go).

[EDIT] Hoping to take it for a spin today (2P) or tomorrow morning (solo).

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m planning :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Laminate as a single piece, then scour the fold with scissors. Hopefully it’ll work!

Could even laminate it with the expansion sheets, but think that would be a bit much. Don’t think I’ll be touching the expansion for a while

1 Like

I got a solo round in sooner than expected (partner and I are taking a mental health day). There’s a lot to digest in the base game, I would be in no rush to add the expansion either.

Anyway, wow. Wowwee. There’s a lot to chew on here, and the sense of escalation is just excellent. I bought, enjoyed, and ultimately sold Troyes Dice for being a bit too dry for my tastes, and I’m getting none of that from Fleet Dice. Bonus actions come frequently, it has a great ramp up, and on first glance there appear to be several viable paths to victory.

I can’t say anything about multiplayer yet, but I can already guess this will be one of the more interactive R&W’s out there as well. Just based on the dice selection mechanism I can see how important it will be to pay attention to your opponents and select accordingly (read: your optimal play isn’t always going to be the most optimal personally, which is great!).

That said, the solo mode is outstanding. The ruleset is simple, you don’t need a second set of sheets, it forces tough decisions constantly and works well as a general foil. Notably, it really makes you think hard about what die you select or don’t, and which you can leave for the common die.

I really like this approach; given my thoughts about multiplayer interaction above, I think it was a really savvy choice to opt for a “challenge mode” here. Rather than explicitly act as an opponent, the AI actively destroys your maximum potential in the various fields of play. Because of this you are constantly forced to make your die selection with the opponent’s next move in mind. You might take the die you care little about just to ensure they can’t wreck your opportunity to make a big end game VP haul, for example.

You can probably see why I like this, despite generally disliking solo modes with a simple high score chase. Sure, you miss out on the direct competition, but the game’s singular big decision point remains unsullied. I’ll need to compare when I sit down with my partner, but I suspect I will need to play/think in precisely the same way against her, and that’s pretty neat.

3 Likes

I think my group/family might like this!

Just finding a vehicle for this thing I saw on twitter.

So the idea is that the plastic sleeve part of a DVD case can be used as a dry wipe surface and the sleeve can also have interchangeable inserts

I wonder if instead of laminating one could use this technique for roll and writes and then store dice, extra sheets and pencils in the case?

1 Like

They’d need to be quite small dice - 14mm standard external depth for a full-thickness DVD case.

1 Like

VHS case? Available for pennies from your local charity shop

1 Like

Try a boxset…

1 Like