Technology will make your life easier

Today or yesterday in 1985, Windows 1.0 was released.

2 Likes

I have quite a few software tools I use sporadically.

I have an intense dislike having to update these every time I use them. This would not happen on Linux where I would simply do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade once a week. This is the worst part of being on Windows.

The worst offender is my tax/accounting program which updates itself and after a restart needs to update the banking interface. every. single. time. I want to use it. And of course it requires another restart after the 2nd update. And it waits for me to click continue.

Todayā€™s winner though is Evernote. Which incidentally also blocks a number of Keybindings my IDE wants to use. And surprise surprise those are the ā€œrefactor into variableā€ or ā€œextract methodā€ which I use all the time.

edit: after looking for a bit in the options I found the ability to block all Global Keybindings in Evernoteā€™s Help Menu. Now I can at least leave it running in the background for editing purposes. Once upon a time I used Evernote extensively and I am still dealing with the leftovers. I was going to move everything to my nextcloud as text files and use a good editor but I have not been able to find the time to complete the move. I am so sad that it turned out all those neat Web2.0 tools just ended up sucking.

1 Like

FWIW Iā€™ve been seeing a lot of ā€œhereā€™s how to export your stuff from Evernoteā€ posts lately. I donā€™t know whether thereā€™s anything particularly going onā€¦

2 Likes

My least favourite is Filezilla, which will bug you for an update but wonā€™t do anything but download a new installation file, so you have to manually run the update yourself.

3 Likes

Theyā€™re being acquired, by an Italian app compny, bending spoons. I know nothing more than that, but I suppose people are worried about policy or pricing changes,. I know a friend who uses it heavily switched a year or so ago (I donā€™t know what to, rhough) because the new version of the desktop app was garbage-fire slow.

3 Likes

6 Likes

My latest commit message for my docker-compose.yml: ā€œletsencrypt somehow works for blogā€

oO :smiley:

(traefik configuration is not made easier by the fact that a lot of pre-2.0 configs are floating around and I keep forgetting to check the version when copying stuffā€“because copying I am)

PS: Iā€™d forgotten over the years of using plesk how much fun server configuration stuff can be when you OWN every configuration on the server and can add and destroy at will :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Sudden memories of starting up a screen session that would do

(enable new network config)
sleep 60
(change back to old network config)

because if the server dropped off the network Iā€™d have a two-hour drive to fix itā€¦

3 Likes

itā€™s a virtual server now and I can just get a root console from the provider to gain access to the file system and fix my foobars. (mostly Iā€™ve accidentally firewalled myself out).

2 Likes

Geoff

3 Likes

Beats spending three hours on the phone with a plumber reconfiguring a router.

2 Likes

For years now on my windows 10 PC Iā€™ve had this thing where every 30 minutes or so sound stops for second. Everything else carries on as usual, so itā€™s not too annoying except when a second of crucial dialogue drops from a film.

Any ideas on potential causes?

1 Like

I would check for an audio driver update from the manufacturer.

1 Like

Done already, thanks. Like I said, this has been going on for years now.

1 Like

That does sound familiar, canā€™t remember more than that unfortunately.

Iā€™ll let it percolate for a bit.

1 Like

While weā€™re at it my laptop is not playing nice with graphics-mode changes over thunderbolt. Probably need updated drivers or something. My external display goes black when for example I got to boardgame arena which uses some extra graphics rendering I am sureā€¦ this only happens when I have the external display connected.

Andā€“luckilyā€“this seems to be only affected by changing modes which doesnā€™t happen gaming.

Now that I am thinking about this maybe I should just tell my graphics driver that firefox isnā€™t allowed to switch to the nvidia card for rendering (the bane of laptops having multiple cards)

PS: WSL crashes when my laptop goes to hibernate/sleep mode while a logfile is filling up the buffer and when I reopen the laptop the next day vmmem is running at 100% cpu all the fans go off in the laptop and I cannot even kill it because it needs to process the buffer (it is my guess because I though it was just docker containers but it also happened while I left ssh open to my server and watched a logfile there and I am surprised the connection isnā€™t cut butā€¦

1 Like

My dad has been having issues with his laptop. The screen wouldnā€™t come on unless he pressed the case in a certain position. Even with that ā€œfixā€ heā€™d then get BSODs. Heā€™s not had it all that long.

My mother has the same laptop and last Xmas I had to replace the screen hinge after it stopped opening.

Without me to help fix it, heā€™s gone out and bought a new one for Ā£250. No doubt heā€™ll be replacing that in a couple of years.

I do wish theyā€™d spend a bit more for something that is a little less disposable.

2 Likes

This reminds me of all the times my dad complained about the cheap laptops he bought from Aldi. They were mostly a problem because of all the pre-installed softwareā€¦ they arenā€™t that bad that they break on the hardware side.

I finally convinced him after the last iteration to switch to Dell. Heā€™s been very happy since.

Dell may have its issues but they have decent enough support and the pre-installed stuff is there for helping Dell support the customers.

1 Like

Several laptops ago, my brother convinced him to buy a ThinkPad. That was one of the better laptops he owned, but was stuck on XP/Win7.

2 Likes

Thinkpads are nice.

But Win7 not so much these days.

2 Likes