Technology will make your life easier

Oh, I especially liked the Sprint/Scrum/DevOps posts! That was the final straw with me!:joy::sweat_smile::joy::sweat_smile::joy::sweat_smile::joy::sweat_smile:

Edit: Scrum not srum. Weā€™re now at MVP level for the post! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

3 Likes

Back in the day, one of the Monastery denizens switched jobs to gardening. ā€œNobody ever calls you at 3am with a lawn care emergencyā€.

7 Likes

The topiary emergencies, on the other hand, are pretty epic.

3 Likes

Two of my team are off on holiday this week. Another two have each emailed in to say they have COVID. Suddenly not feeling so bad about a lack of Sprint Backlog considering my lack of team.

Edit: Make that three with COVID.

7 Likes

We were aiming to start another software release on Wednesday but absences have delayed that. Iā€™ve spent most of the week finishing off various team membersā€™ loose ends. It has been a lot of work.

Two days later than planned the builds are now running. I think Iā€™m going to spend my last hour or so of the day watching them run. :wink: (Especially as Iā€™ll likely be checking in on them over the weekend.)

3 Likes

Well a week later itā€™s 23/14 ā€“ but next week is actually looking achievable as ā€œthe final weekā€, and might even end up being the normal number of days long!

:crossed_fingers:

I am definitely going to take a 4-day weekend when this is over, and will use much of the remainder for film-festival leave next month. What with the pandemic and all, itā€™s been quite a while since Iā€™ve spent a week or two living at the cinemasā€¦

In the meantime I shall enjoy a regular weekend, and maybe even play a game(!).

2 Likes

Sometimes though technology would make life easier.

My dentist forgot some of the paperwork for the second implant and guess what: ā€œwe need the original so please snail mail it, weā€™ll expedite the rest of the processingā€

Funnily, my insurance is called ā€œTechniker Krankenkasseā€ and they recently added a ā€œfax functionā€ to their app. Anybody remember what a ā€œFax Machineā€ is? oO

On my way back home from the appointment which had to be canceled, because the paperwork has to be done before the actual work, there was an interview in the radio where they were talking about Ukraine and how Ukrainians coming here now find Germany quite backwards in the ways of digital processing ofā€¦ well, everything. All, I could do was nod. #neuland

The other day I was at the bank. At least I was able to upload all the paperwork before going there, though I had to do it in 3 parts due to upload restrictions and I had to send the photos they needed of the house as unencrypted email because they were still too large even as ā€œsmall jpgsā€. At the bank, my banker tells me: ā€œso I have to download all the files onto my computer and then reupload them to 3 different locations for thisā€ (3 seems to be a magic number for unnecessary steps)

At the same time, during the pandemic suddenly my work contracts became completely digitized (Yes, Iā€™ve been getting paid). The future is here but only in polka dot sized pieces?

Ah, it is frustrating how slow technology rollout is here.

5 Likes

My perception of technological adoption in pre-computer industries (and government) here in the US is that nothing changes until a fancy new startup in San Francisco gets several million dollars to disrupt that particular industry.

But that particular company may or may not be the market leader after everything shakes out. They spend millions of dollars ironing out the policy/bureaucracy/legal hurdles so that such-and-such industry can emerge from the stone age directly to Web 2.0. But then, once theyā€™ve done that, the marketplace will be flooded by other startups riding their coattails.

So, as I was reading your post, I was going to say that I was shocked about how much I can do online that I never could before. I have a bank account with a bank that Iā€™ve never even seen one of their physical locations. I bought a house using the Internet for everything except the title paperwork.

But Iā€™m not shocked. Itā€™s just angel investors and professional ideators.

2 Likes

I looked at a thing too hard. Now I have to fix it. It is at least a thing I can fix (by writing a replacement, probably, sigh.), unlike the reason we have to have this tool. Yay.

2 Likes

We have an issue with CI/CD runs being stored longer than they should.

I just wrote a Python script to delete them all. Nothing could go wrong surely?

Wish me luck.

4 Likes

find /path/to/backups -mtime +7d -print0 |xargs -0 rm -rf

ā€¦what do you mean the find on this system doesnā€™t have an mtime option and just returns everything?

(I think that may have been a late SunOS/early Solaris. Been a while.)

4 Likes

I just got given a layout for a data center expansion. An excel spreadsheet of a datcenter expansion. Where the columns of the sheet I am interested in are racks and rows are rack positions. Gah.

1 Like

I just translated a patent application in which they described, as if it were totally normal, an office printer sending a notification of a virus infection to an admin by fax.

4 Likes

I only did 3.5 days of work last week!

Thatā€™s because I caught a cold last weekend, and ended up taking 2.5 days of sick leave during the week (half of Monday, and all of Thursday and Friday). I could have worked on Friday (I was feeling better than I had done on Thursday), but Iā€™m very happy that I chose not to (especially as Iā€™ve been feeling pretty rubbish again so far on Saturday).

Enough was enough. Hopefully next week is low-stress.

3 Likes

Working from home today:

1. Try to work for a bit, get too hot.
  2. Wander around room for a bit before ending up next to the window.
  3. Stare across the room at my computer monitor.
  4. Begrudgingly go and sit down again.
  5. Go to 1.
7 Likes

I needed to print something from my work computer today. Except, I realized, I have them attached to a wifi dohicky that gives my computers direct access to the office network. My printer, of course, being mine, isnā€™t allowed to be on that network. So I had to disconnect from work wifi to connect to my wifi. Of course, Iā€™ve had this set up for 8 or 9 months, and this is the only time Iā€™ve wanted to print something.

2 Likes

Do you live somewhere where aircon is not often required? Like, the heatwave in the UK recently was probably hellish, because no-one has aircon. But equivalent heatwaves here are mostly fine, as long as you donā€™t have to go outsideā€¦

3 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: The Living Quarters et al

When you are fitting SFF-8087 connectors

they can in at least some cases appear to be connected but not have gone in that last crucial 2mm.

But that having been done, the main storage server at home has now gone from 85% full to 49%. (43.6Ti to 76.4.)

2 Likes

I just want to say: I am starting to have a thorough dislike for ElasticSearch. I had an entire changeset of only database changes today just to be able to introduce a new field into the stupid searchdocument via 5 levels of indirection.

1 Like