Star Trek Ascendancy (recruitment)

Last game we played, the Federation pushed forward several Ascendancy due to very, very extensive exploration. I managed to push off their victory by one turn, only to have the Klingons snag the victory the following turn when a last-minute Domination victory slipped through my fingers.

I don’t think any of us had 4 Culture Nodes. I think we all had 3?

1 Like

SUBJECT: Mystery Turn Order
I think we could do it if we had a 6th non-player available. (one method) That person would only be needed at Turn Initiative.

2 Likes

Marx is great at turning the screws of paranoia :grinning:

1 Like

I’m regard to turn order, it didn’t really come up in the three player game as at least two of us bid each turn.

Thanks yes going to be more problematic here, because say I bid 1 Culture, with humble beginnings there are probably not a lot of players who would want to bid.

I’m sure we can rope in a random volunteer from the forum to allocate turn orders. What do people think?

1 Like

Klingons had 5 culture nodes last game, I think Fed may have too.

I’ll look at writing a dicebot extension for random turn order, but that won’t happen soon.

2 Likes

I think I was on 4.

Had a great Culture generating machine. Just needed one more turn…

1 Like

:astonished: oh yes… by all means, if you’d like to spend a culture for turn order, we wouldn’t be upset. :slightly_smiling_face:
Anyways, for the first couple of turns it doesn’t matter if players know the turn order. It might play a factor when/if things get hostile in the later part of the game.

2 Likes

OK, so this is my understanding of how turn order works (I’ll include Borg for completeness). I don’t find Mattias’ version entirely clear.

• Everybody commits their resource bids, in previous-round turn order.
  • Shuffle cards 1-9, discarding down to (no. players + 1) in the unseen stack
  • Highest bidder looks at the stack, picks a card from it, keeps it secret.
  • Next bidder etc. until no more bidders
  • Cards are distributed randomly to non-bidders and non-First Contact players
  • Borg and any Assimilated players get random cards, and the Borg card proper is handled by an Assimilated player or by the last-playing non-Assimilated (which would mean revealing that, not ideal).
  • During the round, someone counts off 1, 2, 3 until someone says “I have that card” and takes their turn.

If that all sounds right, then while there are bot capabilities which might help, I agree that a human co-moderator would probably be the best bet. They can be given an autogenerated list of available cards, show them to bidding players, and distribute what’s left to non-bidding players.

2 Likes

But you need to remember, the cards shown to the second player is minus the card(s) taken by the previous player(s). So that person has no idea what card was (previously) taken.

2 Likes

Yup. so something like

submod to player A: “cards 1 4 7 9”
player A: “take 7”
submod to player B: “cards 1 4 9”

If all players are involved in bidding then that could be done with a bot which would send the cards to A, A would send what was left to B, etc., but if there’s more than one non-bid or non-contact player then there still needs to be randomisation after the bidding players have chosen.

1 Like

Now is probably a good time to post another Columbo fact.

The final episode of Columbo was written by Gul Dukat.

1 Like

Mark Alamo?

Wow. That’s amazing! Very talented villain.

1 Like

@RossM Can you put Rura Penthe further South? I’m hoping to eventually connect it to the Paulson Nebula.

Thanks!

(If I can do this? I don’t know? Then yes!

Anybody can swing a singly-linked system at any time. (That’s why I was asking about Bajor and Kurl last round - I could have moved either of them to connect to Vulcan space.)

Sorry! Sorry. I tagged the wrong person, I meant to ask Roger to rearrange the map slightly.

OK, remind me when you’re taking the action.

For some reason I had it in my head that you could exhaust a command to move a research token from your pool to an advancement, but I can’t see this in the rules anywhere.

Did I imagine this, and the only way to add tokens is 1 per advancement in the building phase and collecting them from phenomena?

I believe your second para is correct (some factions’ advancements may change this but I don’t think the Fed have any that do).

3 Likes

I agree with @RogerBW

2 Likes