Spiel des Jahres 2021 Nominees (and winners)

Micro Macro won Spiel
Paleo won Kennerspiel

No big surprises. And I still haven’t played either. But I will eventually if not this week then next. Our gamenight friends have both.

1 Like

We played the start of micro macro. (For some reason I pronounce it mee-cro rathe than my-cro) and it felt okay. I wish I could see what others do.

I really want to try paleo though.

1 Like

I think I’m in the ‘micro macro is an activity not a game’ group. It’s fine, but it’s just an expensive Where’s Wally book - there isn’t enough above and beyond the established conventions to truly wow. Doesn’t help that it’s all one picture, so you can see most of a later case while searching for an earlier case. Happened to us a few times.

1 Like

My partner and I played the first 5 missions of MicroMacro in one shot, and we had a really lovely time.

Whether it’s a “game” or not is kinda irrelevant to me (I would argue that the “Exit” and “Unlock” games aren’t games either…), but I do think it’s a lot of fun.

My only complaint is that I usually recommend the SdJ winners to customers as great family games… and I think there is too many mysteries that aren’t kid-appropriate in MicroMacro. But that’s maybe just pearl-clutching.

1 Like

You’re certainly not the only person to feel that there should perhaps have been a warning on the box.

3 Likes

Somebody from my gaming group sold Paleo a few weeks ago. I bet she is kicking herself now…

Or she just didn’t enjoy it so much. The alternative is: this game has finite replayability as far as I heard from the reviews… so maybe she was just done with it.

1 Like

I am just talking about how much more would she had made on it now… I believe she said after a few plays it was a bit “samey”

1 Like

I love Crime City, I think it’s a great game, happy that it got the SdJ. Played Paleo once, and it really didn’t grab us

1 Like