Self-help from games

Someone I was reading on the Fediverse got given an official D&D5e self-help book. (Very dull, apparently.) But he was inspired to consider what better RPG-inspired self-help books might look like, so…

• Flash Point: the house is going to burn down. Remember that your job is not to save it, but to get the people out.
  • Mysterium: don’t read too much into other people’s messages. Sometimes a red ball on a seal’s nose just means the colour red.
3 Likes

I often point out to people that people who engage intentionally with gaming develop interesting skillsets that might not be obvious or ordinary.

Co-operative games have absolutely taught me about both effective communication (I basically won’t play co-op games where some communication is not allowed; it should be all or nothing, in my book), but also, as a result of the way co-op games are often structured, how to develop heuristics and prioritize tasks. It really ties into what I learned professionally about differentiating between “important” and “urgent”. Things can be important but not urgent, and things can be urgent but not important.

As a result of this, I look for gaming (and/or many sporting) hobbies in potential new hires. Voluntarily applying brainpower to recreational pursuits speaks volumes; way more than someone who sits on couch and has to decide nothing more important than which flavor of potato chip to eat while watching 3 hours of television every night.

That said, there is also something to be said about someone who can consume hours and hours of television/movie content and then present an interesting opinion about it. Of course, the “interesting” portion of that is harder and harder to come by.

10 Likes

Roll and Write Your Life’s Story: Making the Best of What Life Gives You

2 Likes

I saw a CV today where the person had listed “Dungeon Master” under their skills.

After the initial amusement I can see why someone (in this case someone on the younger end of the scale) might put that on their CV.

4 Likes

The real question, though, is whether the players returned for session 2. In my experience, anyone can be a DM/GM/Ref for one session.

7 Likes

Unlock/Exit series of games: Given enough time, you can figure out a solution to any problem.

Jenga: Eventually everything falls to pieces, but you can build it back up.

2 Likes

Every game ever designed - Focus on resources early game, and pivot to collecting VP late game

1 Like

…but don’t jump too early or too late. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This may be somewhat confidential, but my group at my company is straight up creating a product and certification that allows gamers to turn stats into Resume-able bullets. Guild leadership, coaching, tournament administration, raw stat accomplishments. All of these things DO take real life skills but a) kids don’t know how to articulate it and b) companies don’t know how to value it.

It’s an interesting product.

6 Likes