Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Last night saw us down a player for Imperial Assault’s final mission of the campaign, and the other two players were not up for anything new and complicated, so we broke out Sentinels of the Multiverse - some would argue that that’s a fairly complicated game but to me it isn’t, they’d both played at least once before, and I’ve played dozens of times and can track virtually the entire game in my head so handled all the math and turn-processing type stuff. My girlfriend played Chrono-Ranger, my friend Liz took out Haka again (a fairly uncomplicated starter, for sure), and I lived life dangerously and randomized my pick from the fan Cauldron expansion, ending up with The Stranger. We fought Plague Rat (muuuuch easier than Kaargra Warfang, who I made the mistake of trying with this group last time.) inside the Freedom Tower.

The Stranger is an interesting character that I ended up quite liking. Heavy support, very little offense. The gimmick is that it has Runes and Glyphs. Runes are ongoings you play next to other things - heroes, non-character cards, non-hero targets - to buff or debuff them, including allowing extra card plays, redirecting damage dealt to them to the highest HP hero, dealing toxic damage to a target when they take damage (once per turn), dealing extra damage, healing when they deal damage (once per turn), doing less damage, taking more damage, and the weirdest card in the Stranger’s arsenal - Mark of Destruction, which goes next to a non-character card with five HP and when one is destroyed, the other is also. But if it takes damage from non-heroes, that redirects the damage to the heroes instead. So it’s basically an explosive you attach to cards like villain ongoings or environment cards or whatever, and then you whack it until it goes off. The drawback to most of these runes is that every time you start your turn, you have to choose whether to destroy the rune or deal one irreducible toxic damage to yourself. So your buffs are either very temporary, or hurt you to maintain. Which is where the four Glyph cards come in. Each Glyph lets you ignore one instance of self-damage on your turn. Which, baseline, lets you maintain one Rune indefinitely. But it can also, e.g. shield against Plague Rat’s Infection cards making you hurt yourself. But that’s not all they do. Two of them give additional powers (the default character card power is playing a Rune). One lets you play a Rune and do a toxic damage, the other draw a card. A third lets you react to villain and environment targets entering play (IIRC by playing a Rune). And a fourth lets you do fire damage whenever your Runes or Glyphs are destroyed, so there’s some percentage in swapping out the buffs or debuffs. Plague Rat doesn’t do a lot of ongoing destruction, but The Stranger seems well positioned to deal with villains that do. The final piece of the Stranger’s toolkit are one-shots, which give additional card draw, fish Runes or Glyphs out of the trash or deck respectively, shuffle runes back in, chain additional Rune or Glyph play and heal, generally a combination of two of the above.

Unfortunately, one of Plague Rat’s big things is that he can become immune to toxic damage and I only got the Glyph that does fire damage on the last turn of the game, so I contributed almost no damage to the process. Making Chrono-Ranger able to play two, then three with hat cards per turn was surely a big help, though, as was later buffing his damage, and then buffing damage against the Rat. And I was quite happy to blow up a couple of his obnoxious ongoings with Marks of Destruction, though the toxin immunity popped up again later. Sigh

Chrono-Ranger and the Plague Rat are nemeses, so between that and the Ranger’s card that buffs damage from and to him based on his bounties he did the vast majority (probably 50-odd HP worth) of damage to the Rat, but was our first and only casualty, Thankfully Haka was able to pick up the slack, especially once Chrono-Ranger could give him another power use on Chrono-Ranger’s turn. We won with a reasonably comfortable margin, without the Rat ever flipping.

1 Like

Had our usual gaming couple over to celebrate my birthday (which was over a week ago, but who’s counting?), and got a couple of games in after letting the kids run wild in their new inflatable pool.

First up was Treasure Island, our second time playing it, and our friend as LJS, since he was the winner of the first game of it we played. I played as Charlotte de Berry, and her special ability is a huge help (get two more district maps for an action, once per game. Considering the first hint LJ gave us, which has to be true, I had almost half the island eliminated as possible hiding places for the treasure really quickly. I narrowed it down even further after another hint let all us pirates share our district maps with our neighbors and I was given the special token which lets me know the treasure is not in my current district when I searched.

I checked a couple of spaces that looked promising in one area, but soon did the full gallop action to move to the far north. My wife was already around there and our other friend was not far off, but I got lucky and found the treasure myself, just a turn or two before LJ would have escaped. Such a fun and beautiful game.

We followed that up with Quacks of Quedlinburg, without using my new expansion because our friends have only played once before and because I have not yet punched everything out or even read the rules. Our LJ player from the last game managed to take the win, just 2 points ahead of me. Still a very fun press-your-luck game and I am looking forward to the added variety of the Herb Witches.

8 Likes

Bamboleo – this is probably my favourite dexterity/balancing game. Its pretty simple, take a shape from the circular board and dont make it fall. Its another one of those games where you barely bother to score it, well we dont anyway. So much fun.

Donning the Purple, first play. This is a 3 player game, which is a little unusual. There are variants for 1-2 players. Its a king of the hill game, where the easiest way to score points is to be the Emperor. Whoever the Emperor is gets to take an extra action each round, and is the only one who can train and move legions around the map. At the start of a round, enemies start in random provinces, and then move towards the capital city. If the capital is taken, the area cant produce food, which is needed to keep the population happy. The happier the population, the more victory points the Emperor scores each round. The emperor can be assassinated (of course). Theres a few things going on in this game, and I’m not absolutely sure we played everything correctly, but it was an interesting game.

Awkward Guests, had my chance to take the win, but had to guess on the murder weapon, and got it wrong. Eventually we all solved it correctly on the same round.

Drop It, another excellent dexterity game where you drop coloured shapes down the board, trying to reach higher and higher each time. It seems simple, but it can be a bit tricky, shapes often dont fall where you want them to.

The Crew, got thru a few more missions, in spite of my poor play (twice made stupid mistakes).

Silver and Gold

5 Likes

Good post. Want to try this one and Time of Crisis

Ok so got some 2 player games played today.

Condotierre - I love this game, it has the perfect amount of light strategy and control. It’s one of my most worn games for a reason.

unmatched - first game of this played Bruce lee vs big foot. Not sure yet about it. Seems to definitely be an element of understanding your characters deck and how to most effectively use it. As such Bigfoot felt a little overpowered against Bruce lee. Liked it enough to bust it out again.

land, air and sea - first time with this. Ooft! It’s a belter. Couple of tricky nuaunces regarding flipping cards but more of my issue due to skimming the rules rather than reading them. It’s gave me a big problem though. This blows hanamikoji out the water completely. A few more games then I can decide if hanamikoji needs to find a new home.

8 Likes

I also played Air, Land & Sea for the first time recently (on TTS), and I really like it. Definitely going on the purchase list even though I don’t get to play that many two-player games.

5 Likes

Big day today. Finally in a game of Spirit Island beat England level 6. It’s taken so many attempts. 2 players, Ocean’s Hungry Grasp and River Surges in Sunlight. It was incredibly close. Managed to get the last fear card out and scare the invaders off in the fast phase just before we’d have lost all the blight from the card with the ravage. Yes!

7 Likes

Wheeled out small world for the first time. Was not sure what to expect really. On the one hand the main actions of the game are nice but the combos available are wild in number. You look at the rule book and there is something like 20x20 combos some of which are clearly better than others but without the grounding of a game it’s theoretically a bit paralysing.

Actually just to play the game is pretty damn fun you sort of pick up and plop your monster down and keep going until you don’t and then start again. Very enjoyable.

5 Likes

I’m wildly incapable of properly assessing the value of different combos. It probably makes it both exciting but also anticlimactic to be my opponent… Still, I always enjoy a game of Smallworld.

3 Likes

My first modern board game 5 years ago. (Thanks to Tabletop) I still have it and all the expansions :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of Small World. I have all the expansions (some are much better than others) and the almost infinite variety of combinations possible means every game is completely different.

Just played Feast for Odin with my husband Joe. He beat me, 187-155. No surprise there as according to my BG Stats app it’s something like a 66%-33% win ratio in his favor on that game. I still love it and count it a minor victory for me as long as I get the English Crown from raiding, which I did this time. You’d think as I lose so often I’d maybe try a new strategy, but what’s the point in being a board game Viking if you’re not raiding?

This was our first play with the mini expansion with 1 square pieces and randomized harvests. That changed things up a bit and I enjoyed the uncertainty it added.

6 Likes

“Viking” literally (or close enough) translates as “pirate raiding”… So very little!

2 Likes

This surprised me, so I looked it up:

Viking: from Old Norse víkingr , from vík ‘creek’ or Old English wīc ‘camp, dwelling place’

What translation are you referring to?

2 Likes

There are many conflicting sources. Wiktionary, for example:

Old Norse víking (“marauding, piracy”) itself is from Old Norse vík (“inlet, cove, fjord”) + -ing (“one belonging to, one who frequents”) (the -r is the nominative desinence). Thus, “one from or who frequents the sea’s inlets”.

1 Like

Yup, that’s what I got, but your links don’t take me to anything about “marauding, piracy”.

1 Like

So, based on my vague understanding, viking, i.e. “to vik” meant simply to go out in the world, explore and bring home resources (firewood, hunted food, or spoils from raids; not exclusively piracy). But it was the subjects (such as those of the British isles) of those raids that started associating “Viking” with “pirate raiding”.

OK, so we are on the same page =)

PS: My grandma was Danish. But not a viking.

1 Like

Such a pretty picture :heart:

11 Likes

Wow - I’ve played a fair bit of Patchwork and I’ve not seen anyone finish their board yet! Super impressive :o

2 Likes

I still haven’t managed to locate a copy of Condotierre in Australia. :frowning: which is a shame - I’d love to give it a whirl - it sounds excellent.

4 Likes