Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

My partner and I have played it twice now, and I’ve really been enjoying it. She was apprehensive after our first play (where I accidentally crushed her), but after a close second game she seems more eager to get back to it. I love that the game seems purpose-built for player interaction, and does it with a lean ruleset. You need to win with cunning, not trickiness. Both of us can acknowledge we’ve been playing the game much friendlier than is necessarily optimal, too.

I’ve taken a look at the rules for the solo mode and deemed it too much trouble to bother with. This is a game where I want human opposition and I’m more than ok with that.

Oh, and it plays great at 2.

2 Likes

I’m assuming the B word (rage!) that we do not speak of caused the delay.

Cryo does look pretty but wondering if it is always a slow burn engine builder.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t describe Cryo as an engine builder whatsoever. It’s a worker placement game with an area control element for scoring. You do get to build up your recall action, but that’s just a side perk to the WP action.

What really shakes the game up, and provides the juiciest action, is the multi-use cards. For my tastes that’s always a winning mechanism, but here it really shines since it’s a tiny deck with only 8 unique cards (5 of each). So, when you play a card, the choice you make might be the one chance you get.

4 Likes

I call everything an engine which others may call an efficiency puzzle. @VictorViper has it correct though it is not an engine builder per standard definition. still if you don’t plan your actions right you’re going to get stranded with Verlegenheitsaktion.

2 Likes

A lot of catching up here on posting, but I have a few thoughts on recent plays. First off, the disappointments.

In a delightful turn of humor, my sister-in-law and I each got each other Wingspan for Christmas. She is a gamer and a birder, so it seemed perfect. I’d passed it over based on reviews and that I prefer Race for the Galaxy to Race for the Owlaxy. It only got better when we found out her cousins were ALSO going to send us Wingspan, until they got wind that she was giving it to me. It’s a birdy Christmas!

After finishing the quickstart tutorial, I was really pleased. Seemed better than I’d anticpated and I saw a lot of potential. After finishing a game, though, I was decidedly lukewarm. For one, the cards didn’t seem very variable - there aren’t enough things going on to make a meaningful variety. Second, the combo potential in the tableau didn’t end up that exciting. I’ve no doubt it improves over further plays, but most tableau builders I’m spending the first couple games theorycrafting - ah! What if I put these two cards together! Amazing! Here I wasn’t really seeing it, and the forced ordering of card triggering makes the rare, unimpressive combos even harder to pull off.

The real nail in the coffin was the plethora of tiny text. Despite the card powers being common and simple, each card describes its ability in small text. The game dragged on as we were constantly passing and re-passing the market tray and reading and re-reading our tableaus. There’s a non-stop upload of information that is slow and high friction.

Despite Quinns’s complaints, scoring was fine.

All in all, 5/10 after one play. I can see it growing to a 6 or 7 with repeats but I’m pegging it now at “middling.”

Second disappointment, Red Cathedral. Caveat here, I played solo and I’m not sure it’s the best bot or best played at 2 (or simulated 2). But, for my money, Bruxelles 1897 is a far dominant “big game in a small box” experience.

It’s got three things going on - the dice rondel, the workshop upgrades (and then combos), and the race/area control on the cathedral itself. Each of those ended up being a little less exciting than I anticipated. The rondel is on rails with the dice mechanism - either what you want is there or it isn’t, and it’s pretty quick to see your options. Due to the random rolls, you also aren’t much anticipating what your opponents might want and blocking them.

The combos are also out of your control. You put a special power on each die, but where that die will be and how you will use it is completely unpredicable, so you’re just randomly pairing two things and later seeing where and when it helps. Lastly, the area control dynamic is a slow, flat thing. Yes, it’s interesting, but the game state only makes a few changes across the hour your are playing. 6/10, though I’m prepared to be surprised with an 8/10 score if I can play against two other humans and get the full experience.

However, Bruxelles is just so good. While each of Red Cathedrals hooks was a little disappointing upon scrutiny, Bruxelles was constantly surprising me with unexpected textures and new depths. It also has the area control, but each column and crest battle happens quickly and is reset each round, so it’s more like a trick of cards where you contest, reset, contest, reset, and that cycle was more appropriate for the simple mechanic. In Bruxelles, I was constantly assessing my opponents, what resources and money they had, where they could and could not play, and what opportunities each of my moves would open or close for them. There was also a push-your-luck edge with how much money you invested in each architect placement and when you went to the city… I realize if you haven’t played it, then all this means nothing. Suffice to say, Bruxelles was a more dynamic, controlled, and interactive experience that consistently reveals hidden depths, while Red Cathedral was chaotic, solitary, and (at first glance) underdelivered.

But I played other good things this last month too! Will post later.

6 Likes

We finally played the first November game of Pandemic 2… after we didn’t get to the campaign four at least 3 months I think, we lost momentum and got beat badly. Well, we have another November game which we’ll play in the next couple days, we left the board out.

I haven’t had a loss like that in a while. We got 3 epidemics in close succession and despite having a not terrible draw for set-up we just couldn’t prevent the outbreaks. We managed to get a route build to Shanghai where we have to execute “The Plan” so there is that. We even fixed up a permanent bunker to protect whoever is in the city. So next game we’ll hopefully just put one person into Shanghai and send over cards while keeping the world alive. That’s our game plan anyway.

One way or another we’ll finish the campaign soon.

4 Likes

Goodcritters - it’s been years and it’s still great.

So Clover - first time playing it. I love it! It’s pretty simple too. I bought a copy as it is something to show to my non-gamer friends. Sincerely will kick out Just One.

Siege of Runedar - oh wow. I thought it’s gonna be a lame co-op game. Forgive me Knizia for doubting you. However, not as good as Ghost Stories or Spirit Island. I love the ideas here. The communal ways of building weapons and how your deck will always be 12 cards. You scrap a card the moment you buy a card. Putting a strong emphasis on refining aspect of deck building.

The Key: Murder at the Oakdale Club - real time deduction game. Nice! Always love deduction games

Agra - more Agra! I still love how you can be so creative in this game, but I found it a bit too much nowadays. I don’t think I can keep this with my goal of reducing down to 20 mid/heavy games. I would prefer to err toward mid weights. Plus, I have 3 Splotters, 2 Lacerdas, Terra Mystica. That’s way more than enough for me.

4 Likes

I’m another couple of missions into HeroQuest now, having taken out the dread orc Ulag and recovering the King’s treasure. I’m still having a blast with it, though the last mission was a slog thanks partly to the old-school design, mostly due to the app.

I remembered this one as a kid since it was probably the first truly notable example of a hard and fast house rule coming into effect: your task is to recover three chests and return them to the stairs. No biggie, except the map is essentially just a long tunnel, so by the time you recover the chests, the way back is totally clear. Theoretically you could spend your trip back searching for treasure (and surely spawning monsters), but we didn’t do that back then, and I didn’t want to do it yesterday. 3/4 heroes need to roll one D6 to move instead of two, so your reward for finding the treasure is to spend the next 20 minutes rolling to move.

Needless to say, we didn’t do that crap back in the day; we ended the mission and moved on. That’s what I wanted to do last night, but the app forced adherence. I spent the next 15 minutes moving all figures (not actually rolling) one by one on the app so I could log the win and save my progress. What a drag.

Furthermore—and this is less a complaint as it is an expected shortcoming—this is one of those missions that really wants you to roleplay, but of course you really don’t get that option using the app. This particular mission identifies your reward, but also teases at the contents of the stolen chests. I have fond memories of deviating from the “story” at this point in a campaign when we looted the King’s bounty and let our Morcar player decide the repercussions going forward. Little opportunities for emergent gameplay is what this game is all about, so I missed that here and I don’t anticipate it’ll be the last time that’s true.

Just the same I’m enjoying my solo time with the game and it’s amazing how fast you can crack through a session this way. I’m eager to play as Zargon against my nephews soon.

5 Likes

We had a boardgame night with some cousins for New Year’s, and took turns teaching games to each other. I got to introduce Unmatched and played Herbaceous and Patchwork for the first time.

We also got to looking over our shared Roll Player collection, which led to me buying picking up Roll Player Adventures this week. Lovely Wife and I played through the first adventure this evening, and were very happy to see mechanisms from several of our favorite games. A great start to a new year of gaming.

5 Likes

Yesterday my wife went in for a tonsillectomy. While we were waiting, we played two games of Royal Visit and one game of Batman Love Letter (though I later realized we played incorrectly by forgetting to put out three face up cards), and I managed to win all three games.

Then when I visited her that evening, after the procedure, we played Patchwork using the Android app. Same great game, barely any table footprint! She won that one.

She is home now and healing up, but in quite a bit of pain. :frowning:

Edit: Oh yeah, and the night before her surgery, we played Quacks of Quedlinburg, with my newly coin-capsuled tokens. They are just a bit too large for the board now, but it is easy enough to arrange them in a way that works. I am just happy the tokens won’t keep wearing away, or getting a bit sticky over time from people’s fingers. I won that game, by a decent margin.

8 Likes

I hope @superjaz recovers quickly!

8 Likes

Friday night games online yesterday. We had 10 people so started off with 6 nimmt, followed by a couple of rounds of Codenames. Then we couldn’t get online Dixit or Telestrations to work (boo) so we split into smaller groups for LAMA, Sushi Go, Skull, and Papayoo. I’m dangerously tempted to re-buy Sushi Go, but I expect the feeling will pass…

4 Likes

A couple of games of A Feast for Odin on BGA. It’s in beta now so publicly available. It’s surprisingly easy to play, even on a phone (although some of the tile laying is a bit janky). You can lay out your boards when it’s not your turn which smooths things along.

It’s a giant, sandbox worker placement game with about a billion placement spaces. Anything viking related is there - whaling, pillaging, hunting, farming, fishing. As it’s so open it’s a pretty chilled experience. Something for a long Sunday afternoon. I’m own it, plus the Norwegians expansion (not on BGA yet) but didn’t get it to the table last year.

I am rubbish at it.

7 Likes

Another play of the Patchwork app with my wife this morning. Managed to pull off the win with a lucky grab of the last leather patch to fill the one missing square for the 7x7 bonus, which guaranteed my victory, 18 - 11.

3 Likes

Sadly my plans to conclude my 12 Gamedays of Christmas on schedule were scuppered by work and personal matters, although I was able to complete my games a day or two late. Days listed are more in order played than exact dates.

Day 9 (January 2nd*) gave me a chance to replay Architects of the West Kingdom for the first time in months with a solo challenge as Caroline against bot Helena. It proved one of my most comfortable games due to a fortunate exploit of capturing and imprisoning many of Helena’s workers (if I got those rules right) so that she often had to waste turns to recover pawns from the board. The end result was a win by 44 points to 20, mostly through specific buildings rather than advancing the cathedral.

Day 10 (January 3rd*) was a much anticipated playtest of my own work in development: cricket strategy game Bat on Ball. A solo game replaying the T20 World Cup final of a few months ago, with Australia facing New Zealand. Time constraints meant that I had to play each innings on consecutive evenings, and New Zealand batted first and made what seemed like a low score of 144 for 7 in their 20 overs - but that proved enough as Australia could only make 140 for 5 in their 20 overs. I only used the quick scoring sheet to test gameplay time/length and it ran longer than I had hoped, but otherwise all went well. I’ll have to examine the scoresheet in detail but some notes from the Australia innings was how often Steve Smith gave catchable chances on no balls (3 or 4) and how spinners Ish Sodhi and Mitchell Santner kept things surprisingly close in the death overs when the batters couldn’t find many gaps or hit boundaries. More playtesting to come in the weeks ahead!

Day 11 (January 4th*) saw a long overdue solo game of Viticulture Essential Edition against the autonoma cards. I have the Tuscany Essential expansion but as I haven’t played the game for so long I wanted a reminder - and remembered how much I love the game. I couldn’t get any high value vine cards though, only drawing 1 and 2 value vines and was looking at a spanking after the sixth round when I only had 8 points, but courtesy of a couple of visitor cards, some high value wines in the cellar and a handy order card, I made up 12 points in the final round so scored 20 in total. I think that is technically a loss but in the weeks ahead I will try the elements of the Tuscany expansion in full.

Finally - belatedly! - Day 12 (January 5th*) gave me a chance to play Pandemic Iberia again. A four-hander solo game with the Rural Doctor, Sailor, Royal Academy Scientist and Railwayman taking up the challenge. I managed to complete the research for the blue and black diseases fairly early and build a good railway network so felt confident as I was keeping cube levels down as well. Perhaps I was getting too comfortable though, as two Epidemic cards came out back to back, really threatening to derail my chances but the Good Season event card came in handy to ease the tension of the second epidemic. Cube management meant I only had one outbreak all game, although the final disease was only successfully researched with two cards left in the play card deck, so really close. Great game and I prefer it to original Pandemic.

So I finally got there. Hopefully next year things will be easier for my plans but life does get in the way. Due to that I had some bigger games I had hoped to play but didn’t get time too - Eldritch Horror and A Touch of Evil were strongly considered for the end of the run - and might have to find some other shorter solo games for future options too. I would have like Sprawlopolis more if I knew what I was doing, and some other solo games I have like Tiny Epic Galaxies and One Deck Dungeon were considered too but I decided against them this season. Always next year! Happy New Year everyone!

12 Likes

My feeling with it at a point was: I don’t care if I am winning this, I am enjoying myself (besides de polyomino bit, that is challenging, but in a good way)

2 Likes

Played some Five Tribes , hadn’t played for a while. Even though we don’t play it much, it’s an easy game to revisit, quick run through the rules and we’re good. And it’s a pretty good game.

Snowman Dice , first play. This is a pretty simple game, I think I bought it to get free shipping on Amazon. You have some very nice, chunky dice, which you roll, trying to make a snowman. Once you have a snowman, you have to roll an arrow, and then you can use your finger to move your snowman to the middle of the table. And if you roll a snowball you can flick it at other peoples snowman to destroy them. And…that’s about it.

Picture Perfect , first play. This is one of the most unique games I’ve played. You have 14 characters, and you have to position them around a table so that everyone is happy. Each character envelope gets three cards. Cards might show where around the table that character wants to stand, or who they want to stand next to, or even which character cannot show their face. In a four player game, each player gets three envelopes, and you’ll swap or pass envelopes around in each round. After six rounds, you take a picture of your scene, and then you go thru each character to see how you have scored (according to the cards in their envelope). If each card is correct, you get six points. If none of the cards are correct, you get negative points… Its a funny sort of game. A good memory helps. It was fun, not sure how much I want to play again.

Dune: Imperium , first play. This is a worker placement deck building game. You all start with the same deck of cards, which are played either to allow you to place your worker on a space and do its action, or you can reveal and then you use the currency on each card to buy a new card. Its a pretty fast moving game. There’s a bit of action too, some places allow you to move your troops into the conflict. Each round, a new combat card is turned up, which tells you what rewards you get for winning or placing in the conflict.

So Clover!

7 Wonders , a blast from the past!

Nova Luna

4 Likes

Some games this evening:

Imaginarium, a friend brought their copy of this one. It was pretty decent - fairly simple engine building game but with multiple distinct paths to victory. We played with 5, not sure I’d rush to play it again at that count, which meant it moved a little slow, but kept my attention well enough. I did win though, so that may be affecting my judgement.

Coatl, when we were down to 2, we played a game of this. It’s a lot of fun. My final coatl sucked so my opponent won, but it was close.

Calico, continues to be super tense and interesting, particularly with 2 (and the lower variance option).

4 Likes

This sounds like it should have been themed around working out the socially-acceptable seating arrangements for a 19th century formal dinner party.

4 Likes

Won our second November game of Pandemic 2. But barely… so we messed up the thing where players can skip an epidemic by pulling it a turn too early. We had one outbreak left and one epidemic in the deck when we finally accomplished “The Thing”. What saved us was my partner insisting on finding the Topaz lab in Wellington (yay we have NZ on the map) which allowed us to discard cards to prevent infections it’s really uncanny how realistic NZ is what with being isolated and free of virus… ha!

Game is still on the table we hope to play December sometime next week. Wish us luck. We have only lost Los Angeles, Denver and Dehli so far and still need to connect Riad, Manila and Tokyo to the grid. But our vaccination efforts are failing especially in North America.

In other news, I am teaching a friend Beyond the Sun on BGA after he complained that he had never played in any of our games. Well he never asked to play so far. Who am I to badger people into playing games?! Me? Never… :stuck_out_tongue:

I also played Under Falling Skies one more time before it went on the sell pile and decided that I might as well try the campaign. So down from the sell pile onto the table and starting that hopefully soon.

My “play streak” ran out on Friday because I just didn’t have the energy even for Sprawlopolis on “tax day”. Or rather I completely forgot about it by the time I was done. Oh well, two more days would have made it a full month.

3 Likes