Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Star Trek: Ascendancy face to face - first of these gatherings at home where everyone had played at least one prior game, though for some of them it was pre-pandemic.

Cardassians (me), Romulans, Federation, Ferengi, Vulcans. Romulans quietly hoarded culture and got an Ascendancy victory; Vulcans fell one world short of their ten-worlds public objective, and I fell one culture short of Ascendancy next turn myself (9 dice for 4+ in a planetary invasion gave me only 3 hits so I destroyed rather than capturing the culture node). A great day.

8 Likes

You might say the Romulans kept up with you.

2 Likes

Got two games in today with my wife. First up was Red Cathedral, only our second game of it, so I am not sure either of us has really grokked a strong strategy yet. My wife claimed more structure cards than I did early on, and managed to cost me a point when she finished one above one of my unfinished cards. Both of us seemed to have shortages of materials we needed due to the randomness of the rondel.

We each had locked in a small column, and she had locked in one of the two tall ones when only the base of the other was finished. With those cards being all that was left, it did not take long for those to get claimed and my wife built her last one to end the game, though at least I was the one who controlled it.

After all the scoring, we were tied at 41 prestige points. However, the tie breaker is the person who built more sections of the cathedral, so she took the win.

Then tonight we played Orleans. After a few turns, I had a bad feeling I was not going to win, as I kept failing to draw out certain character tokens that I needed to get more, or even to build a guildhall.

I finally did get my engine going, but Inwas a good 3 or 4 guildhalls behind at the end of the game, and she had 2 or 3 more citizen tiles. Only things in my favor were that I got to the 6 development point space, to her 4, and I had a lot of goods, mostly silks due to getting the Tailor tile.

Alas, I still lost, as expected, 119 to 103. My wife appears to be unbeatable when she is tired, and with our lives the way they are, that is virtually all the time. Oh well, it is still fun playing.

8 Likes

The Princess Bride Adventure Book Game , chapter 4. Went pretty easily. This chapter we were going through the Fire Swamp, dodging hazards and killing ROUS (Rodents of Unusual Size, of course). Itā€™s an ok game I suppose. But every challenge is just ā€œplay these coloured cardsā€.

Blackout: Hong Kong , hadnā€™t played this for ages, so it was a slow start as we went through the rules again. With that out of the way it was pretty smooth. But took us forever, like four hours. I was checking the rules to see if we were meant to remove some cards from the deck or something, but no. The deck running out is the only trigger for game end. Maybe we werenā€™t going through the cards quickly enough? Still, it was enjoyable. The puzzle of hand management, resource gathering, and area control is pretty cool. And I won, which was a first for me for this game. Got a bit lucky, some things just worked out. My hospital was full of people (every time you scout, you lose a random card to the hospital, and they donā€™t count for points at the end of the game).

The Key: Sabotage at Lucky Llama Land X 3. Lost the first game, 27 to 22. Lost the second by 34 to 18. And lost the third with 34. I really need to select cards a bit better, Iā€™m getting to the answer, which is fine, but using too many cards. We donā€™t take many of the 4 value cards. I was confused by the difference between the swing ride and the swing boat ride in the park. I restarted, code was wrong, so rubbed everything out and did it again. Not strictly in the rules, probably because you could see a code close to yours, maybe one digit off, and just redo that digit. I didnā€™t check the colour of any of the close codes on the board, so didnā€™t know if I was close.

The Key: Murder at the Oakdale Club X 3. A bit trickier, since you need 4 numbers for the code now. I got 46, winner was 38. Second game I managed the win, score tied with another player, but I had used less lab cards (the 4 value ones). Missed the code on the third game, just one digit wrong.

Furnace X 2, with just one other player. This game is just so easy to teach, but thereā€™s a bit to think about. Both games were close, won the first 66 to 62, lost the second 104 to 100. Didnā€™t think my score in the second game would be so good, had a terrible round where I had no resources, just upgrade tokens. So no money for a round, which is not good news in a four round game. Picked up a bit later, and sold my upgrade tokens for good money. And I had the capitalist that could run a card twice for two coal, that came in handy. This is really a solid engine builder. Two player uses a dummy player, who places his discs at random, from lowest to highest. So you could be on course to get a card, and then have the dummy player play a higher disc, just bad luck.

Had another two games of The Key: Sabotage at Lucky Llama Land at 2p. Lost both, just couldnā€™t put the information together.

Fantasy Realms , a quick game to end the day. I think weā€™ve played this every gaming day since I bought it.

6 Likes

We tried out a new local games club yesterday, which was fun. I started off with a game of Betrayal at House on the Hill while my husband abandoned me to play Magnate: the First City. I won our game by summoning a witch and turning all of the other players into frogs :frog:

After Betrayal we played a quick game of point salad, before breaking out The Search for Planet X. We lost one player before we even started because they objected to the app integration, but the rest of us carried on and all managed to locate Planet X on the same turn. The winner had published far more theories than anyone else, so thatā€™s what Iā€™ll be doing next time! Iā€™m quite keen to try a few solo games today, but first I need to finish building my insert for Pipeline which is currently occupying the tableā€¦

On Friday I played a few games online with some friends: Skull, Welcome to, Codenames, and The Crew 2

12 Likes

Played a game on Friday night! Woohooo!

Took Splendor out against my better half. Even though she had a glass of wine with dinner, she trounced me twice, before I asked if I could be first player on the third play. And I trounced her then.

Am I right to think that this game between two is a bit similar to chess in that aspect? First player has the initiative?? Second player is like starting with black pieces?

Anyway, it was nice to play a game on the table after quite a while.

5 Likes

I think thereā€™s a bit of first player advantage, but my impression is that the luck of card draws tends to predominate. Hmm, now I want to play again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some games with my mum and wife today:

Cascadia, a game of this with Mum - itā€™s great! Easy to teach and play but with plenty of good decisions to make in it. I think itā€™s probably just ahead of Calico in my estimation (though I really like them both). Helps that itā€™s gorgeous too.

Takenoko, first game of this in awhile - Mum had an early lead but I managed to catch up and ended up winning it by a hair! Iā€™ve played it a bunch on BGA so was super thrilled to have a close game - last time it hit the table I kind of dominated the whole game, which was not ideal. Problems from playing too many games - whoā€™d have thought :stuck_out_tongue:

Go Cuckoo, despite my wife trying her best to ruin my chances, I came away with a win in this one. Fun dexterity game, though I kind of wish it had less of a luck factor with drawing the sticks and being allowed to play eggs.

Love Letter, my wife made up for the last game by completely dominating in this one.

3 Likes

Finally got to play Beyond the Sun. Great game!

Summary

I was playing the Nishida Ostergaard, a humble little multi-trillionaire start-up. I was last of 4 in player order, so I realised I couldnā€™t follow everyone else into space. I could clearly see I was in a queue behind everyone else for everything I wanted to do. So instead I focused on the rubbish blue tech in the corner that no one wanted with an eye to carve my own path. My ability was in having more ore starting off, so capitalised on that to make sure I got sweet sweet tech upgrades.

I invented hyper-computing and human experimentation. In the process I got a bonus that let me make a tech 1 ore more expensive to research, so I tagged it onto hyper-computing to scare anyone off my branch of the tech tree. It worked! No one could be bothered to pay the cost when there were other ways to advance! With me being the one to research both arms of the tree, I had plenty of warning for when someone else might encroach my space so that I could secure the level 3 tech. So I could sit and wait

Entering the 2nd act I realised with the other players now colonising planets and returning their spaceships, now was a great time to enter the space race! I jumped on all the tech I could and did a pretty good job catching up in getting ships on the board.

As I started my space colonies, I got the ability to buy people for 3 ore, which was great for me since I had almost maxed out the cog track but wasnā€™t really getting anywhere with the leaf track. So from here on in I maxed out the cogs for 5 ore a turn (plus any bonuses) and bought all the workers I could ever need.

I researched my level 3 tech no one else could touch - planetary commerce! So I could upgrade the tech tree for cheap up at the level +1 of the planets Iā€™d colonised. I had colonised 2 planets so I focused on getting 1 more to allow me to research level 4 for cheap. I also started an arms race - more VP for spaceships in space. At this point I had quite a few spaceships up there, so I was pretty happy.

Then space wars began. A planet gave a free private level 3 tech for colonising it. I got in there early. Then one of my opponents got more spaceships on using his wormhole tech. So I completely went all in and got 9 value of spaceships on there. No one could take it from me!!! Colonising the planet gifted me a capital ship, so I got a level 4 ship to take over ANOTHER planet. The other players werenā€™t happy with my business expansions.

Then we were entering the end game. I stupidly didnā€™t think to turn my huge wealth into workers to score the ā€˜only 2 cubes left on the player boardā€™ achievement, so the next player along took that one. I had 2 turns left. I knew my only chance was in the level 4 tech, so I researched wormholes just to open the level 4 on my final turn.

I had the choice of blue or yellow tech. I had the most spaceships in space so yellow seemed a good choice. I flipped over Galactic Empire that gave me a max of 8 points for each disc on planets or max of 7 points for something I canā€™t remember. 8 is bigger than 7, so I made a Galactic Empire. It seemed fitting and I had 12 discs out and about so more than enough. Scored the extra 4 VP for researching a level 4 tech achievement, and it gifted me another spaceship to take over another planet (which another player had taken from me the previous turn). I controlled most the planets at this point.

Ended up on 59 points. Everyone else was in the low 50s. WOO

NB: I NEVER USED HUMAN EXPERIMENTATION ONCE OKAY, IT WAS JUST A PHASE I WAS GOING THROUGH. (And besides, I never had enough people spareā€¦)

Got to admit, I got very lucky. Each research bonus either strengthened my existing strategy or gifted me the thing I needed to reduce my weakness. I was really nowhere good in the first half of the game, but turns out the little tricks of getting my own early tech no one wanted so I could choose my own research branch was mega strong in the late game. Gambling on the level 4 tech on the last turn felt bad (especially as I had never played the game before so had no idea how many points it provided), but it shot me into a confident 1st. Without it I think I would have been maybe 3rd? Though I couldā€™ve colonised planets instead to maybe squeak out a 2nd or tight 1st. I think at the end players were struggling to see how to capitalise on points in their final actions, so I was lucky that I still had one more big set up to go.

5 Likes

Saturday I played the first chapter (three quick games) of My City with my husband. Itā€™s a light legacy campaign game of placing polyominoes under set conditions and rules with a little variation for three games then opening an envelope to get a big new rule for the next three games. Itā€™s alright so far. Iā€™m definitely interested in seeing how much complexity the later chapters add. I already know the main thing that is added in chapter two but not all the tweaks of the rules for each game and what comes beyond that. My husband and I arenā€™t expecting to be super wowed by it but weā€™re hoping to enjoy it and see if it will be possible to take the pieces we donā€™t use, combine it with a new unopened game, and gift it to his brotherā€™s family of five (one copy of the game goes up to 4). His brother and sister-in-law have played all the Pandemic Legacy series and loved that and this might be a good way to help them introduce legacy games to their kids, the youngest being 9.

After My City, we played a game of good old 7 Wonders with all the expansions (except Babel which we played once on someone elseā€™s copy and hated so donā€™t own). I pulled off a rare and decisive victory of 101 to 76 and 68 for the dummy city used in a 2 player game. My husband and I both love 7 Wonders and he might very well consider it the closest thing to a perfect game ever made. Weā€™ve heard the new edition removes everything for the 2-player variant, I guess to push people to 7 Wonders: Duel, but thatā€™s a shame. Duel is a good game, too, but the 2-player variant of original 7 Wonders is amazing with all kinds of unique strategy and tactical choices to it.

9 Likes

So I played LUNA Capital first 2-handed and a day later against my partner.
And to make it quick: Iā€™ll be selling this one. Oh itā€™s better than Spacebiffā€™s review made me fear. But it is not the right game for us.

2 players. 4 turns played, Phase B started.

Rules Summary

So the game is played over 3 phases (A, B, C) of 4 turns each with players playing sequentially. In the end the person with the best point-salad gets a tasty snack. Points are acquired by placing tiles, placing tiles adjacent to other tiles or making areas of the same type of tile or having the most meteor tiles or reach certain variable bonus conditions at the end of a phase.

You start with a hand of 3 cards (one of the neat things in this game is how your hand of cards is handled).

In the center of the table there is a market of 4 cards that each have 4 building spaces or 2 building spaces and a double-wide or double-high space (to improve adjacency). Most of the cards have 1 and some have 2 of the spaces preprinted with something (mostly useless meteors or scaffolding, sometimes useful stuff). The cards have numbers from 1 to 10.

Below each card is a smaller display of 1 to 4 tiles. As a phase progresses the number of tiles playerā€™s get with the card they draft matches with the number of the current turn in the phase (1 to 4).

On their turn players draft a card. however, one spotā€“the one that the last player drafted or on the very first turn the left-most spotā€“has the ā€œfresh-inā€ marker on it. If they want to draft that card, they have to discard one from their hand. Cards are worth VP at the end. And there is only 1 rare building that will let you draw an additional card. So taking the ā€œfresh-inā€ card is a pretty big dealā€“in my games it happened 3 times. Towards the end of the game it makes the most sense.

So a player picks a card and they get the card and all the associated tiles.
Then they have to play a card from their hand orthogonally adjacent to their other cards with a maximum of 3 rows and the numbers have to be going up from left to right and no number may appear twice in a row. The rows do not have to have their number 7 in the same spot and you can just jump from 5 to 7 to 10 if thatā€™s what you have. As you will only ever play 12 cards into your tableau it is absolutely going to happen. (this part reminds me of Welcome To). There are also little robots in the game that are acquired from certain tiles that you place on the card you play to ignore the number.

Once the card is placed they have to place all their tiles. Tiles are either one of 4 different types of life support systems that score from having a large connected area, living quarters for engineers that derive points from specific adjacent life support systems, general living quarters that score via the number of specific types of tiles in the tableau, or some specialty tiles most of which do not score points but give you some more flexibility what to do on your turn.

My final tableau on game 2.

Doesnā€™t sound too bad. But on teaching it is a lot to keep in mind and my partner completely missed the rule where there were different types of life support systems. I caught it before it ruined his tableau completely but he was so miffed about it the rest of the game didnā€™t go well.

I think itā€™s pretty enough, small enough and has a decent ā€œinterfaceā€ (setup time, table presence, table handling etc.)

Now my biggest problem with the game is this: itā€™s not going to get to the table with 2 people again. A solo mode is no longer a big selling point with me as my solo queue is filled with far better games. The puzzle while somewhat engaging is horribly AP inducing as you have to consider which card to place, which tiles to take and games that turn even me into an AP wreck are not going to see the table here. This was a risky buy on almost no information. I am sure someone else will like it much more than I do.
Iā€™ll rate it a 7/10. Would definitely play with other willing people but I do not like it enough to try and convince others to play it.

8 Likes

Yesterday I played 1844 Switzerland with @lalunaverde and one other. Sadly Mr Verde utterly smashed it. Like pants down embarrassed level of loss :pleading_face::cry::sob::sob::sob:.

That aside the game was fascinating. Played long, slightly to do with unfamiliarity, slightly to do with one player throwing a strop and slowing down a lot and probably a lot to do with the game. My first impressions are really positive. The train management felt difficult and brutal without quite being a rush. The map was a knife fight and I think with more plays would get even better. In all, as an operational game, it felt like a punch up and I really enjoyed the competitive play of this one.

6 Likes

Revenge for the Gallerist game :smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

Agree, I love 1844 Switzerland. It remains my fave operational game. Expensive terrain as it is the highlands of Switzerland. There are 3 types of companies, each with their own capitalisation rules, but there are roughly the same. The hex trains and normal trains are pretty cool, and the fact that normal trains downgrade to a hex train very quickly is pretty fun.*

I would be really keen to play more of this. Seems that thereā€™s strong incentives to cross-invest, which is always a fun thing to me.

We havenā€™t tried 1854 Austria yet, which is the other half of the game.

*Hex trains can only travel X number of hex, while normal trains can travel much farther based on X number of stationsā€¦

6 Likes

Got another round of Jaipur in with the Mrs to pursue our 6x6. The first round I fell 76-75, too close to call early. It really came down to bonus tile draw (and I drew both the 8 and the 1, soā€¦). Second round we mobbed just a few resources and closed the game out faster than Iā€™ve ever seen, for a nail-biting 44-43 victory in my pocket.

Third round, she shuffled and sold 5 gold on her third turn. Iā€™m not pointing any fingersā€¦ maybe some elbows though. Third round I lost by more than 25 points. Oh well.

Also broke out my physical copy of Cascadia. I was nervous and a little underwhelmed after playing only the digital version with the A cards. I was far more engaged playing a tactile copy with the B cards - probably a combination of factors. It was easier (and therefore more interesting) to engage with all the aspects of the puzzle when thereā€™s no interface or window, plus the B cards just have more going on. I pulled down a (massive?) 101 pointer but the big win was discovering I do like it.

9 Likes

101 IS massive!

Yes, reading the reports from people playing online, I think it makes a BIG difference to use the physical copy.

2 Likes

Getting back into Azul recently due to it being on BGArena. Still a master design.

6 Likes

Played my first learning game of Burgle Bros 2. Itā€˜s been a while since I played 1. I donā€˜t remember the details well enough to see the differences. But this played nicely. One gripe though: that gimmick packaging. Thatā€˜s just a bad. I hate putting away the game already because it is such a hassle and NOBODY will use that two story setup. Nobody. My other gripe: not enough female characters to make up a full team. But there are 3. The cast seems reasonably diverse. So thatā€˜s ok.

I love the casino carpet flooring.
I also like that you have a nice twist after cracking the safe. Looking forward to playing this as a campaignā€”hopefully with my partner.

Anyway, not counting this as a win b/c I messed up so many rules.

5 Likes

This evening at Local Game Group (the pub was playing Christmas Music, and not even honest carolsā€¦) Blueprints, which I realised part-way through Iā€™d played before. Quite fun though nothing amazine. Then Lemminge, which I continue to enjoy hugely.

6 Likes

I enjoyed Blueprints the time I played it (even if I did focus almost exclusively on fulfilling the requirements for my blueprints, and only realised at the end of the game that those were very much secondary goals). I kept looking at it in my FLGS for a while, but I never quite wanted it enough for the price. Maybe I should snag it second-hand some time.

I suspect Dimension sufficiently scratches the ā€œbuild a physical thing which fulfils as many of these rules as possibleā€ itch, but I should probably give Blueprints another try sometime.

1 Like

I will give it points for picking its game length: going into round 3 I was thinking ā€œyeah, Iā€™m in the mood for doing this once more, but I probably wouldnā€™t fancy a round 4ā€. (Then I did tremendously badly and got no points of any sort on round 3.)

2 Likes