Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Played Exit: The Game + Puzzle - The Deserted Lighthouse.

I should enjoy these but I don’t. Having played two without puzzles and this one with I feel like I’m done. I feel that the problems always come across to me as a ‘look how clever we are’ rather than being challenging.

That said this was my least favourite by a long way. The puzzles felt like roadblocks with an occasional clever use of the puzzle pieces themselves. The decoder wheel was much better in terms of how the games lets you know you have the right answer though.

1 Like

I might have missed something. I found that the only reason to play cards on your opponents row is to play your eclipse card. I think I have too many filler games that are either thinky and/or interactive.

1 Like

You’ll definitely play eclipse cards to your opponent’s rows to break sequences; but as you can only add number cards (1-29) to the start or end in an ascending sequence, you’re often playing to your opponent’s rows to drop a significantly smaller/larger number at the start/end of their row, making it unlikely or impossible for them to continue that particular sequence (e.g. placing a 25 after an 8 only leaves 4 cards which could be added at that end).

I think I have too many filler games that are either thinky and/or interactive.

Sure; and it definitely is a filler-type. If you have games in a similar niche then it’s probably not worth considering unless the aesthetics particularly tickle you (or you think they’d tickle the person you’re likely to be playing it with : )

2 Likes

I managed my first Silver victory in solo Regicide today!

(Previous post about the game also edited a few times since I first posted it.)

5 Likes

Couple of days of gaming this week, we played:

Railroad Ink Challenge had fun with this one, tense decisions throughout, still haven’t had a chance to try the expansions (my opponent was a bit rusty at RRI, so we played the base game)

Super Skill Pinball we played Carniball, a lot of fun. I think all of us beat my highest solo score, and it came down to a few points difference between me and the leader which was tense and fun - I went out substantially before him due to a weak second ball.

Sushi Go Party, played this with 3. I would omit edamame with that player count, and I’m still not sold on the spoon, seemed a bit fiddly in a game that otherwise plays so smoothly.

Love Letter

Tikal, two games of this - the first I won by a decent chunk, the second my opponent beat me by a decent chunk. We were intrigued by the prospect of a deciding game, but instead we went with something different.

Hadrian’s Wall, finally got this out with another person. May have been a touch heavy for my opponent, who did okay on his left sheet but largely ignored the buildings and options on sheet two, so I won by a solid amount - though I wasn’t thrilled with my score - of 68 or so (on easy). I’m keen to move up to medium difficulty as I think it’ll make the baths a better option, but realise it could feel a bit rough to new players.

5 Likes

We never play with spoon or menu. They just put brakes on the game while one person does something that no one else cares about - antithesis to the point of this kind of drafting game.

2 Likes

Ouch, every time I play Bärenpark I wish I was playing any other polyominoes game instead. :wink:

4 Likes

Perhaps New York Zoo could be for you then!

3 Likes

I played a „quick“ three handed game of Oath this afternoon to get back into it for the forum campaign :slight_smile:

It was the Oath of the People that the Chancellor had sworn and it seemed easy to them to just hold the People’s Favor. But then their old friend Citizen Dark Hood started dabbling in arcane magics and snagged the Darkest Secret to get into position to become the successor.

For several years the chancellor brooded how to best hold the citizen in check while Exile Bluebird meandered about the Hinterlands seemingly doing nothing but trying to bring order to the outer reaches of the Empire. So the chancellor was content to ignore them.

But in the fourth year of the chancellor’s reign Exile Bluebird abandoned their Order pursuits and formed a conspiracy to take the Darkest Secret from the designated successor… the Chancellor (formerly know as Cloudy White) was actually relieved that the exile solved their biggest problem for them just before that fateful roll of the die… until Bluebird also gained the People’s favor by spending their coin from Order’s favor freely.

So even though the chancellor’s armies controlled huge swathes of land, they were not keeping their Oath and suddenly their position was even more precarious than before. If Bluebird won, the Empire would fall apart because–in a twist of irony–they had no armies to keep any order at all.

So the Chancellor ordered a huge banquet be held for everyone to remind them of Memories of Home and indeed the favor returned to the Hearth bank and deprived the rebellious nobles of further resources. Thus the chancellor’s coffers filled to bursting and they easily regained the People’s Favor. But now the people had turned into an unruly mob and switched their allegiance at every turn it seemed. It was only a matter of time until Bluebird realized they only had to have their funds ready at the right moment.

Then Citizen Dark Hood renewed their arcane efforts and with the help of the Great Spire they returned the Alchemists from the Dispossessed. As their knowledge increased rapidly with three arcane advisors the Darkest Secret returned to their possession, they were also once again threatening to dispose of the chancellor from within their own ranks.

And before the chancellor could act upon that new threat, Bluebird began attacking their armies to gain a more permanent foothold.

And yet, Dark Hood was the more immediate threat and so the next year the chancellor spent their treasury to exile Dark Hood believing they could once again hold a state banquet to sway the people to their side. But the enraged former citizen used their powers to wage war upon the chancellor and his lands to take the Scepter from them and become a citizen yet again. When the war effort failed, they went to the Tribunal and promised Bluebird help if only they would end the reign of the Chancellor. And so with combined forces they took down Chancellor Cloudy at the very last moment returning the People’s Favor to the visionary from the Hinterlands.

(Having the same vision as the Oathkeeper was a really weird turn of events)

A lot of land and its denizens were lost in this fateful campaign of Blue and Black vs the Chancellor.
The lesson of the story is: do not exile the vengeful magicians :wink:

edit: removed all the worst typos that crept in on the tablet.

9 Likes

Last night my wife and I played Concordia on the Creta map. While I expanded faster than she did, she managed to get another Prefect card and the Mason card. While I did have the Farmer and Smith cards, I constantly felt low on resources with being limited to just my two Prefect cards, so she was able to purchase cards more efficiently than I could.

I ended the game by building my last house, when just 3 cards were left for purchase, but in her last turn, my wife was able to build a few more houses, leaving her with just 2 unbuilt. And with her bigger hand of cards, she outscored me, 130 to 121. Neither of us felt like we were playing our A game, but it was fun to play in any case.

9 Likes

We completed our Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion campaign today. We found the final scenario a bit easier than the previous few but I think we played it very well and it did a good job of making our characters feel very powerful at the end of their adventure.

Overall I was very impressed and, not having played the original game, I completely understand why people speak very highly of it. We’re looking forward to playing through it again at some point in the future with the other two characters.

10 Likes

Last Thursday was a 3 player day that saw 2 games of Sorcerer and Stones take place. A nice game, so tactical there’s a bunch of downtime as you can’t really plan anything out until your go, however the turns are fun enough that it just about gets by. The turns where you pull off a great move from flipping your view around are so rewarding.

Next up Attika hot the table and was great classic fun. Always recommended.

Today was 2 player coop day. Unicornus Knights saw an outing first and also good. Was quite different to the first play so that was reassuring. Really tight and we scraped over the line.

2 games of Helionox next and this game has got tough. I think we might be struggling now we’re playing by the correct rules. As a coop deci builder I like this. It doesn’t mess up the fundamental formula too much but the spatial elements and the art style elevate this for me.

Lastly Stones Unyielding Defiance and Shroud of Silent Mist chased level 4 Scotland off of an island. There was a moment where this looked all over but then Shroud got going and a rude combo of innate powers and a naughty major on Stones saw it become a brutal expulsion. We won on the first 3 card of the last batch at fear level 2 with only 3 explorers on the board. We very nearly lost of it on the 3rd explorer card of the game though and it was hairy for ages. About one of the only ways to enjoy such a severe victory.

8 Likes

Another round of Too Many Bones under my belt, again with Patches against Drellen. I managed to complete Drellen’s special encounter this time, which gave me a perk to carry into his tyrant encounter, and it proved to be essential.

My first attempt at him was on day 9 and even with the benefit of an item that let me heal 1hp each turn (meaning 2hp for patches) to help me offset all the poison, I just couldn’t put out enough damage to win. I got stuck fighting a clay golem again, which sap your attack dice, so I needed to rely on defense and heavy poison to overcome it and still have a fighting chance. My poison just wouldn’t come up.

Anyway, I had a MUCH easier time on day 10, even without the benefit of the extra healing. His minions were even heavier on the poison but I could toss attack dice freely and made short work of them. The fight against Drellen himself was grueling. He’s immune to my toxin, and his dice ensure he’s always pushing the upper hand in the attrition war. Thankfully my attack dice were on fire and I was tossing 2’s (1/6 sides) all over the place, which helped me get ahead of his armour. The fight went well beyond round 5 and into the “bleed” rounds, which I have to believe actually ended up helping me quite a bit.

A victory! I had 3HP left, no heals, no real prospects… another round or two and I’d have been cooked, but thankfully Drellen seemed to have gotten all of his really amazing rolls out of the way in our first encounter.

Next time I think I’ll test out another gearloc (still solo), but before long I’ll be playing the game two-handed for sure.

7 Likes

Cool! I’ve just started Jaws of the Lion, we played the first 3 scenarios on Sunday. There’s a lot to learn and the tutorials are so helpful that I can’t imagine starting the game on a cold-open with the full set of cards. Everyone came away very impressed and looking forward to playing again as soon as possible!

3 Likes

I feel so validated! Now go try Isle of Skye again! I’m convinced that, given a chance, I can sell it to you as your idyllic Scottish game.

1. You need at least 3 players
  2. The central conceit is that you’re buying/auctioning tiles through a shared market, then trying to add them to your personal tableau in a specific configuration to earn income and hit scoring objectives. This is what makes it, despite appearances, part of the Suburbia/Ludwig family.

I never really enjoyed the first two, though, which is why I also say that Skye perfected the model.

1 Like

This was one of those games that came up three years ago in my research. I think it was out of print then and I haven’t heard it mentioned much since. Is it back around, or is this an old gem in your collection?

It’s an old gem in my collection. I bought it in 2004 or 2005 on it’s first time round. It’s now available as US telegraph with exactly the same rules and gameplay, it’s personal what the setting will do for each individual though I suppose.

3 Likes

Another trip to the mountains with friends provided some game opportunities:

Arboretum was popular with the adults in the group. I still haven’t found a good way to explain the scoring other than laying out a sample tableau and hand and walking through it, which got tedious.

The Fox in the Forest was popular with the 10 to 13 kids, but resulted in some hurt feelings.

Uno served as a suitable vehicle for revenge for any kids that were seeking retaliation.

Welcome To had to be abandoned mid-game due to a gust of wind blowing some of the score sheets into a creek, but Railroad Ink stepped in to save the day.

Hive once again was a huge campsite hit. Pretty sure we sold three other families on the game.

All the little games managed to provide enough child care that the adults pulled off a Cribbage tournament.

We’re entering into a projected 9 day period of record heat here in Idaho, so I’m predicting a glut of AC-fuelled gaming in my near future.

10 Likes

We won the second game of June in our on-going Pandemic Legacy 2 campaign. I wouldn’t say we won easily and we didn’t manage one of our private goals (as opposed to the games official win conditions) which was to perform a search in Johannesburg but we had a population net-gain of 3 and only needed a single resource point to save a city from being wiped off the map post-game. We reached another private goal however because we finally managed to get back to only 6 epidemic cards in the deck with only 43 city cards left and 29 cities in the grid. We’ve been focussing on searches and got a few really nice bonusses which we’ll continue next game.

Our map has become “sprawling” (with the Americas, Europe and Africa and Asia uncovered up to India) but we haven’t broken beyond the “barrier” we can see to the east where we suspect Utopia lies (I am pretty sure it’s totally Utopian and nothing bad ever happens there like in every Utopia I ever read about /s)

4 Likes

I’ve just finished a game of Railroad Ink Challenge via WhatsApp. We both have a copy of the game so took it in turns to roll the dice. Works very well :+1:

8 Likes