Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

I love how you assume that I can make it to Turn 7 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My username is the same as here, Chewy77.

And I am up for a parallel topic as well. Anything to learn! :smiley:

3 Likes

That sounds brilliant. We want @lalunaverde on our team (as captain)

2 Likes

I believe I was the Soviets? My friend in the group that is the only one playing with me say Im better Soviet player than an American. Not sure now after several plays with you guys.

1 Like

…wait what!? :joy:

Im okay with that.

4 Likes

Both these games have my interest, especially tempted by unmatched.

1 Like

I’m interested in the new big set - Cobble and Fogg.

Weirdly not interested at all until then.

2 Likes

Played an escape room game, from a company called Escape Hunt, who do escape rooms you can play at home. There is 3 available, we played Stolen, where we’re trying to find who is behind the theft of five treasures across London. Although its advertised as having nothing to print, we printed out the various bits of evidence to make it easier. This is a logic puzzle where you have to discover a culprit, a date and time, and of course what was actually stolen. It took us about an hour to run thru it, didnt have too many issues with the solutions.

Forgotten Waters

We finished off the first scenario, we had saved our progress from part 1. Good fun! Although we "won"the scenario, we all fell slightly short of the criteria to get a “good” ending. We all had three of our constellation events complete, and we just needed one more. Constellation events are from filling out stars on your stats, which then allow you to mark points off on your constellation. When we play again, possibly we’ll be more mindful of choosing skills with the most stars. Regardless of the outcome, we just had a blast playing it. Really looking forward to finishing the other scenarios.

Hocus, first play. This appears to be Poker, with a few extra bits. You are trying to win communities, which are sets of 4 cards. For a 3 player game, there were two communities. You can add cards (via basic spells) to add cards from your hand to a community, a pot (each community has a pot, and the winner of the community wins the pot for points), and in Pockets, which are two collections of cards in front of you. At the end of a round (triggered by each community having four cards), you try and make the best poker hand by combining one of your pockets with the community cards. Possible sets are high card, pair, two pair, etc – your standard Poker sets. Its a bit tricky, since you’ll be lucky to get three cards into a community, and you only have 2 cards in a pocket. You might have a great hand, but you’'ll need to play the cards to make it count. On your turn you’ll either play a basic spell, or an advanced one from a set you choose at the start of the game. This was a really good, easy to learn card game.

Detective – A Modern Crime Board Game, first play. Another cooperative detective game. This is pretty hardcore, you have to use an online database to check people and evidence out. And use Google to find actual real information. You follow up leads, which can lead to some unexpected paths. There are five cases, which are all connected in some way. It feels like hard work, not sure how much fun it is.

Heist: One Team, One Mission

Quirky Circuits,finished the Gizmo scenarios

The Crew

Silver and Gold

2 Likes

A long awaited return to face-to-face boardgaming today! (Quarantine restrictions have been eased in Oz to allow small gatherings) We played:

Silver and Gold, first crack at this one - I liked it quite a bit. Simple but plenty of satisfying/frustrating moments. Close game too, despite us chasing different point scoring avenues.

No Thanks, an evergreen in my collection. It’s just so easy to teach and play I often turn to it between chunkier games.

Star Realms, a friend brought his copy of over so we had a big 4 way game. It’s definitely not in my top tier of deckbuilders and the dynamics with more than 2 are weird, but was still good fun.

New York Slice, great game, always goes over well. This game the same person won the 9’s, 10’s and 11’s - and yet still came in second (they didn’t eat many slices).

For Sale, terrific quick little auction game. Also super easy to teach but with enough there to chew over after multiple plays.

History of the World, caught up with a friend for his birthday and we got this one off of his shelf of shame. Reminds me a lot of Small World but with fiddlier combat rules and no special powers (well not many at least). It was fine but Small World is definitely the sharper design for my money.

2 Likes

Finally played my first Splotter game: Food Chain Magnate! I was the Burger King and was spamming the town with cheap burgers until someone installed a radio station, aka the pizza volcano, and started spewing pizza demands everywhere. But my CFO bonus and garden houses gave me the surprise win from 2nd to 1st once i got my aerial advertisement campaign running for moar burgers.

I love it. It’s been hours yet i cant stop thinking about FCM. The other 3 players got good reception too that we end up scheduling a rematch.

I have Antiquity, and Indonesia is now in my wishlist.

7 Likes

Game of mandala Tonight.

Getting into this neat little two player. Simple rules, little down time and a game flys by super fast.

It’s hanging around for a bit.

5 Likes

Unmatched has been great for our house. When you’re ready to move on from the core set, the Bigfoot expansion is good, and the raptor/Ingen box is nuts.

4 Likes

Yeah, we probably have a while before we will need to expand, at the rate we have been playing games. That said, I kind of wish I had waited for Cobble and Fog before picking it up, as the characters really interest me. Very tempted by those raptors though, I must admit.

4 Likes

Had an afternoon Feast today with my wife. I had fun luck: occupations good for raiding/pillaging, BUT I never drew a single sword, BUT I got very high dice rolls, BUT that was true for hunting/whaling as well. I don’t think I’ve ever taken so many meeples back in a game. I definitely failed whaling twice. In the end though I was able to get my bonuses working well with houses and smashed the points that way for 135.

9 Likes

Played two games of Welcome to with our friends over Zoom. In a rare event, I actually won. Both times! Scores were 90-88-86-60 and 92-86-82-65. Got really lucky in the second game, maxing out two of the park rows, when I only managed to accomplish one of the planning objectives.

4 Likes

I am so, so bad at Feast.

How long did it take to play? I really fancy trying my group out with it, but I’ve heard people talk about games that lasted 3 or 4 hours.

1 Like

I believe it was approx 3 hours with 4 players, all newbies. I didnt check the time strictly. We are used to playing heavy games that takes this long so it’s not an issue to us.

Now this is with boardgamecore, we didnt play in real life.

I know you didnt ask for this specifically, but Im pleased that the game has a good pace. And the whole “oh if you screw up on the first rounds youre gone”. Overblown.

Just tried K2 for the first time, on BGA (with a new-to-BGA player). We were both fighting the interface, and three out of four climbers died. I won. Um, yay? But I found the game distinctly interesting – though I’ll keep a notepad of played and unplayed cards – and I’m likely to play again.

1 Like

It’s a good enough game but I won most of my games playing the same way.

Some more fishing frolics in Norway for me this afternoon, and a game of Nusfjord out in the sunshine in the garden.

For those who have the game, this time for the first time I picked the second deck to play with this time, and my constantly hovering around 30 points in solo more went out the window and I hit 39 on my first try.

8 Likes