Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

More Railroad Ink. This is currently my favourite expansion:

10 Likes

Gaming with a buddy today:

Jaipur, the theme of this day was me losing quite badly, and started off on that foot loosing 2/0 at Jaipur. Still good fun though.

Roll Through the Ages, this one was super close - he had a nice development combo, I did much better building the wonders, but I also got slammed by a bunch of disasters early on, so this one also went to him.

Archaeology, we played with the Great Pyramid and I looted the two smaller chambers, but he got the big one, and found a bunch of Pharaohā€™s masks. Before then it was close, but there was a 30 point swing right there!

Azul, I like this game but I really am terrible at it. I think itā€™s the game in my collection that Iā€™m the worst at. Lost two games this time, so no surprises there. I suspect I donā€™t think ahead enough, and making tactical decisions can only get you so far here.

Blueprints here we had a win, finally! Cleaned up in round 2 scoring 3 different goals which made up for a lackluster third round.

Silver and Gold, my luck turned with this one - I won both of our games, though not by a massive amount. This is one of my favourite ā€˜simpleā€™ games, and itā€™s nice that its quite portable.

Ticket to Ride - United Kingdom, my wife joined for this one. And surprising no one, she kicked our butts. She grabbed the 40 point connection like a few rounds in, and so most of the rest of the game was us playing catchup. I ended up not too far short of her, which I basically have to take as a win, cause itā€™s the closest Iā€™ve gotten against herā€¦

Hadrianā€™s Wall, played a solo game of this after game day. Gosh itā€™s fun! I didnā€™t do particularly well though, score in the 50ā€™s. I worry it might seem super complicated and imposing to new players, but I definitely hope to try it against other humans soon, itā€™s terrific.

5 Likes

Cthulhu: Death May Die , our quickest game ever, and not because we won, because we did not. We lost in record time, Iā€™m still not sure if we played properly. The episode required us to pick up people and get them to safety. But one of the mythos cards said you discarded a person, and the only reference to discarding in that episode meant the person was out of the game. So, a couple of those cards meant that disrupting the ritual was impossible. Oh well, a quick game is a good game. Spent more time in setupā€¦

Cubitos , first play. If you like to roll dice, then this is your game. You move around, collect dice, get money, buy more dice, and race around the map. So many diceā€¦it was a lot of fun.

MicroMacro: Crime City , solved a couple of cases, still having a lot of fun with this

The Crew

Time Barons , first play. A game of playing cards and trying to destroy the other players buildings. Not really our kind of game, we kind of lost interest after a bit.

Nidavellir , my first win!

Nova Luna , wanted something quick that we knew pretty well. Weā€™ve clocked up a few plays of this now , its always fun. The winner blitzed us, didnā€™t even see it coming, suddenly heā€™s won.

8 Likes

Lost our first game of May in Pandemic Season 2 because I thought it was smart to postpone fulfilling one of the gameā€™s goals for a round. Spoiler: it is not smart. We had searches finished, needed one more Resource Center / White Building and one other thing. I could have built the center instead chose to vaccinate Tripolis. It was one Denver card that pushed the last green blob onto the board.

In any case we managed to come out of this with an important indirect goal fulfilled uncovering part of the map in easterly direction from Cairo more event cards for next game and some searches done one of which brought us the Opal Laboratory.

We were able to mitigate the negative effects from the loss. Just used our resource points to prevent all population loss in the affected 4 citiesā€¦

If we had not been so keen on that indirect goal this would have been an easy win.

1 Like

Played the king is dead for the first time after my determination to not look at a screen meant plan A to play search for Planet X was scuppered.

Got 3 games in with 2 players.

Itā€™s fine. I can see how itā€™s clever and the limited cards/actions feels a bit inis and the reading the dominant faction feels a bit pax Pamir (but significantly lighter in both cases).

My main gripe was the third game felt a bit like playing out the hands to a conclusion that was determined after the second power struggle let France in for the second time.

All in all it scratched the itch we had for a lighter game tonight.

5 Likes

I should also add that box, I meanā€¦ why?

3 Likes

IKR, itā€™s a good game but that box puts it on the ā€˜possible sellā€™ pile

1 Like

Someone in the UK game group has scanned in tKiD board for printing on cloth. Only issue is the minimum cloth size is quite large, so figuring out what other games I want to give a cloth board for downsizing too. Thinking maybe London, Blitzkrieg, Ethnos and 7 wonders duel.

4 Likes

Thursday evening I had a game of Firefly with my daughter. We played the introduction scenario, and she won. She managed the 6000 credits faster than me, I had plenty of bad luck in my flights, and my crew was taking a good lump away from the jobs I did. By the time I finished the mission that put me in the 6000 credits figure, she was a Mosey away from the final goal destination. She really enjoyed the game, even if she was struggling a bit at the beginning with the concept of having enough fuel for ā€œincidents during your flightā€. I think she learned the concept through my struggles, though.

Friday night I had a solo game, going for the King of Londinium scenario with a starting crew. I failed to get there in 20 turns, but continued to finish in 3 more.

This morning I played Stuffed Fables with my daughter, we had not played this for ages. We set up the second scenario of Story 2, on the river. Really good, I think we will play this more soon.

4 Likes

Played two games with my wife today.

First up was the 3rd round of Jaipur, which had gone unplayed for weeks after our 7 year old got to the table at the end of our third round and thrown all of the tokens everywhere while we were busy with our older kid. I can say with some certainty that our scores then were much closer (despite not knowing her score) because I made a huge mistake in trying for a 5 bonus token, which let my wife end the game first, costing me a bunch of points and giving her the win, 70 - 50.

We followed that is with Azul, which went the same way, a win for the wife, 76 - 34, which is probably close to my worst showing ever in Azul.

Oh, and last night, I played Vampire: Vendetta with friends on TTS again, this time trying out the Gangrel, believed to be the worst clan in the game by the group. While I came in 4th out of 5, I see some promise here, but it does feel like everything needs to turn out perfect in order to actually win.

I do think I over-performed expectations though, so I am happy with that. Eager to try my physical copy of the game sometime, which arrived yesterday.

3 Likes

I saw that it looked pretty neat. You could print the cover and sew up a pouch with it to turn it into a completely bagged game.

Yesterday I tried out Marvel United. Itā€™s so light thereā€™s barely a game there but it was ok. At least itā€™s fast but thereā€™s not so many choices and the lack. The dice tower review suggested thereā€™s more in the KS stuffā€™s rules but Iā€™m not holding out too much hope. The toys are fun to paint so I think itā€™ll be more a painting project than a filler game to me.

Then @lalunaverde arrived and we played Too Many Bones. Finally played against Duster as the tyrant. It took ages but was fun. Loads of rough encounters that we had to scrape through by the skin of our teeth. The group was fun Gasket, Nugget and Boomer. I played Boomer, she remains interesting. Going from barely contributing at times to nuking many and/or big baddies with brutal efficiency and speed.

The main disappointment was the final fight. Duster took Boomer off the map and then promptly got beasted in a turn. In general it seems hardest at 2. I might have to start adding some scaling of difficulty somehow. The game only seems difficult if you fail a mission early on and then fail to get training points and it can spiral. I might see what baddie points of (party + 1) * day might make it all a bit tougher and make 20 point baddies more common.

3 Likes

Link, please??

From Zac Peake on the bgtc group .

5 Likes

That looks great! Iā€™m now looking at my collection and thinking how many games might benefit from a cloth board to allow squeezing into a tiny box.

I bet A War of Whispers (standard edition, obvs) could be squeezed into a Lost Expedition sized box.

3 Likes

Tokyo Metro has a cloth board. It looks nice but there are some slight challenges to how practical it is in play but I do appreciate how small it makes the box. I generally put a sheet of perspex over it in play to hold it all flat. Again though the tiny box is sooooo nice Iā€™d happily have almost everything with cloth maps. Maybe 18xx aside or anything where cardboard tiles need to go together being added. Expedition Northwest Passage would be another one.

2 Likes

The other thing to mention about Too Many Bones is as we were playing outside and I wasnā€™t sure of the integrity of the anti rain stuff surviving the winter a waterproof game felt actually useful! Who could have predictedā€¦

5 Likes

Zac sent me the scan he used, so if anyone would like it, let me know. Surprised the board fold lines arenā€™t apparent at all

2 Likes

Yeah, I go in for one at cost plus postage to me (with a rounding up to the nearest pound)

Hit the same issue of your really need to do four boards to make it worthwhile

We got Great Western Trail to the table for the first time in a while. I just still adore this game. I lost on the final turn of the game, even though we played wildly divergent strategies.

Weā€™ve also a few rounds of Regicide with a standard deck of cards. Itā€™s a fantastic, free to print rules game. A co-op dungeon crawly, boss fighty thing. Itā€™s hard.

10 Likes