Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

How do 7th Continent and Sleeping Gods compare? Because 7th Continent just frustrated us.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed both for different reasons. I kinda see them as 2 games doing similar things but from different points of view.

The game is far more focused on story and narrative in SG so thereā€™s more satisfaction in completing a quest, or seeing through an ending youā€™ve worked towards.

7th continent is far more exploration driven because story is a bit of a veneer by comparison. Satisfaction comes more from discovery and finding your way around the continent. SG largely points you in the general direction of where to go, but there are still visual cues to pick up on as something to go investigate

From a practical side of things I found SG far fiddlier, much more set-up and breakdown (Itā€™s still worked out well, but 7th continentā€™s save system is outstanding by comparison).

The combat system is more fleshed out in SG and it really is a good puzzle to work out each time - though every battle is guaranteed to slow your progress to a crawl as you lick your wounds and recover your crew/ship. 7th continent has a similar dynamic though when you can only progress so far before you need to stop and hunt/camp.

One of the main reasons I wanted to get SG was because it seemed pretty flexible in being able to play a solo campaign - but easily accommodate other players dropping in and out when available. Iā€™ve not had a chance to test this out yet - but it seems much easier to work out than 7th Continentā€™s rules for players joining/leaving, as the only set-up differences are splitting up the crew members that are always used anyway.

3 Likes

Just finished up a game of Marvel Champions. Tonight, I used Captain America and Black Widow against the standard Ultron villain. I did surprisingly well, considering everything I have heard of Ultronā€™s difficulty, pulling off a win, though things were getting really hairy at the end there.

I think it helped that I was able to keep the first scheme from completing for quite a while, which is tricky because it can only take 3 Threat per player. Ultronā€™s gimmick is Drones, weak little things, but they are made by putting the top card of players decks face down in their engagement area. Each player starts the game with one, and more come out from encounter cards, or when Ultron attacks the player, a new Drone is created unless you put Threat on the main scheme.

Black Widow was good at taking these out with her Widowā€™s Bite preparation cards, and Cap had Hawkeye as an ally, who was also very helpful. Cap also has Shield Toss, which letā€™s him do 4 damage to X enemies, X being the number of cards he discards from his hand. Meanwhile, Black Widow has Dance of Death, which does 1, then 2, then 3 damage to enemies, so she can take out up to 3 Drones with it, or a couple and hit Ultron for some damage.

I got Ultron to his second phase which made him a bit nastier and gave him a whopping 44 health. Soon after I had a couple of schemes out that were accelerating the Threat accumulation and then I had to shuffle the encounter deck which added another, so I just started racing to do damage, ignoring the schemes, and luckily it paid off.

Definitely an increase in difficulty, and the game took about two hours, which is a little longer than I would like. Still, I am finding I prefer playing two handed, as it gives me more options. I think three handed would be too much, though, but I would love to give it a go with other people.

2 Likes

I just finished up another game of Rallyman GT (solo), which will be my last untimed affair. Iā€™m looking forward to logging my laps, and I do enjoy a good hot lap, but I suspect Iā€™ll continue to run other cars on the track (timing my primary) just for the traffic.

@RogerBW maybe you can help me a bit on this one before my dumb brain blows a gasket working out basic arithmetic; Iā€™m trying to guess the time economy here. Iā€™m about to race on Sweden which has a massive straightaway. Am I correct to assume Iā€™m far better off ending a turn in 6th [gear] at the expense of some forward movement (speaking very broadly of course)?

1 Like

Generally yes.

The best times seem to come from ending turns just before a corner, then braking hard into it and accelerating out. The more challenging calculations come when there are several speed restrictions in a row.

There are at least three systems for automated opponent cars, should you want them.

The current Rallyman GT challenge closes on Wednesday. :slight_smile:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2611901/isgoytra-rallyman-gt-cup-march-2021

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to have to do a bunch of reading before I join in on any of the tourney stuff. This is the first time Iā€™m seeing mention of a redline variant (which seems to directly address a quirk I had foreseen, and ties into my earlier question), for example. That said, I absolutely expect to get into all the online metagame goodness.

2 Likes

Looks like Iā€™m about 40 posts too late to reply directly, butā€¦ Empyreal!

Dang I love that game. Was pretty disappointed with the automated opponent, though. My rubric for a good solo, in order:

1. Must simulate the actual decisions and problems youā€™d face if playing against a human
  2. Minimize any decision making on the automatonā€™s turn
  3. Minimize bookkeeping through abstraction

Empyreal puts a real load on (2), making you choose a or b too often. And that puts you in a position to topple (1) as well, as you are generally deciding ā€œwhat is best (or worst) for me?ā€ depending on your approach to the game. The automaton lacked a prioritization or randomization to simulate an opponentā€™s agenda.

It bugged me enough that I built my own prioritization rubrics, following mostly the Gaia Project approach. It makes a bit more bookkeeping (3) but improves 1 and 2, so that is in order.

Iā€™m bothered by how big and expensive Empyreal is. It is such a unique, tremendous game and it wonā€™t get much distribution based on the decisions made. I would still argue itā€™s worth it, though.

1 Like

There are priority rules: towards the nearest city they donā€™t have access to; if they canā€™t do that, then prioritize spaces of that type with a resource and where possible farther away from the nearest player. I agree that it still leaves you making more judgment calls than is ideal, especially on larger boards. But it felt viable for me. I havenā€™t played much against automa, though - my typical preference playing solo would just be to play a fully solo design, or in a pinch a coop game that is practical solo. I mostly broke this out because it made it possible to sort of coop a game I really like that is not a coop game as such.

1 Like

Caught a little of the SUSD stream yesterday evening and decided to give Cascadia a go. Thereā€™s a very straight forward solo mode here: https://cascadiagame.github.io/

Very enjoyable game, but it got me wondering about Calico as there had been some comparisons, though mostly saying how theyā€™re quite different. Turns out thereā€™s a web solo mode to that too: https://myautoma.github.io/games/calico/index.html

Now I just need to see which one my brain fixates on over the next few days before I inevitably buy oneā€¦

Or both.

2 Likes

Oh, I didnā€™t know about the web Calico.
Iā€™ve been enjoying Calico quite a bit since I got it a couple weeks back.
I have also played the Cascadia web thing and liked that one as well. There are similarities in that they are both puzzles. I feel from playing Calico for a few times that the puzzle is harder but itā€™s been a while that I played Cascadia and I may yet get that one when it comes around to being translated.

We brought a box full of games with us on our mini vacation, but all that got played was Flux:Marvel because the 6YO demanded it. We probably played 10 games over three days. It was good family fun, exactly as advertised.

1 Like

Just finished playing Unmatched against my wife. Medusa again versus my Dracula. 'Twas a short game. Feels like I never shuffle these new decks enough on the first go, as both of my Beastforms and all three of my Feints came up really early. Being my only defense cards, I burned through them really quickly.

Got to maneuver quite a bit and did take out two Harpies and hit with one Beastform for 4 damage. Moral victory right there. She whupped me though, with 11 health remaining. Probably could have lasted a bit longer, but I was hoping to hit the last Harpy with Draculaā€™s ability at the beginning of my turn, but died first. Still fun to play. I see interesting possibilities with Draculaā€™s deck.

4 Likes

A Zoom Hansa Teutonica with @Whistle_Pig on Monday. My wife absolutely battered everyone, it was brutal. I love HT, so much game in around an hour; I feel like thereā€™s strategies galore to try out without considering the tactical element of the game.

A first ever play of Tigris & Euphrates on triqqy this week. 3 new players and one guy who had about 5 plays. Not a great interface, but games are better than no games! Somehow, I won with a massive total of 4 points. I think the interface and being new to the game led to some accidental chaos and wars started by mistake but itā€™s really well put together. I definitely want to play it again soon.

Organising a Zoom game of The Resistance tonight with people we know but who donā€™t know each other. Itā€™s going to be interesting!

9 Likes

A friend came round, so we got MicroMacro City spread out in the garden. My dog then immediately ran around us for attention and jumped onto the map. :see_no_evil: So now my copy is personalised with paw prints.

The game is really fun. Itā€™s inventive in how it all works, and I like how many cases branch out from the scene of the crime, rather than a simple linear path of A leading to B leading to C. Thatā€™s probably as much as I can say without spoilers.

It is definitely expensive for what it is, and probably would have worked better in a book form with different cases on different pages. Having a big map is used as a thing in a few cases, but it also means that a lot of the cases were previously spotted in solving other cases. One or two cases were just piecing the things we had already seen in order.

In a couple of hours we got through three quarters of the cases. But the value comes in sharing it with friends and family. It is still very much Whereā€™s Wally, and though it does use the conceit well, it doesnā€™t really subvert it or do anything that wows me. It is what you expect.

6 Likes

The Resistance worked a treat over Zoom. We had 7 to start and then our friend had to leave.

We played Avalon (because thatā€™s the website I have) but stripped out all the roles apart from Merlin. The good guys won both first games but then lost because the spies fluked a guess for Merlin. The Spies won the last 3 games, but all went to the final quest.

The way the tension ramps up as successive teams are voted down is fantastic. Youā€™re constantly scrabbling for information as the good guys because 1 spy on a quest crashes it. Even after 5 plays we were getting a meta and the last vote on the final quest was so tense.

It works really well over Zoom and I canā€™t wait to play it again.

6 Likes

Is it bad to say I thought I was letting him win?

Not in throw the game kind of way but in a play a different style that was more aggressive than my normal style because then itā€™s either quicker to die or win.

I do think I had a slight edge because The sisters movements were similar to the harpies which I know how to play.

5 Likes

18Chesapeake with our group this week. Itā€™s confirmed my feelings from the first time I tried an 18xx - theyā€™re just not for me. They just donā€™t seem fun: lots of maths, trying to screw people over via stocks, weird route building and super long/slow playtime. But three (of five) of our group did say they enjoyed it, so my opinion is definitely just my opinion. I just canā€™t imagine wanting to play one instead of Irish Gauge or Chicago Express which have a similar feel to me but are way shorter and simpler. Iā€™m not sure I really ā€˜getā€™ most stocks games though - Iā€™d rather just have my own company and play as that rather than the own bits of lots of companies and maybe a controlling share in one or twoā€¦

4 Likes

18Chesapeake is designed to be cutthroat and mean. If you have a chance, try a design by Lonny Orgler, they tend to be less mean and now focused on running good companies.

The pace of play can improve with familiarity.

But, admittedly, 18xx just isnā€™t for everybody.

2 Likes

All things considered, I would also rather play a Cube Rail game.

If youre willing @Bondy034 , are you keen on trying Imperial/Imperial 2030 by Mac Gerdts?

3 Likes

Iā€™ll play an 18XX but I have no need to own one.

One thing I do prefer over cube rails is the ability to sell stock though.

1 Like