Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Today with some of the UK contingent of the 1 Player Guild:

• 6 Nimmt! (8) - I didn’t come last, which is pretty decent going for me.
  • Saboteur (8) - first time I’ve played this on BGA. Oddly I found after this that I wanted a copy, which I haven’t felt when playing it in person.
  • Lemminge (4+4) - the people who played last time wanted to play again, and the people who didn’t wanted to play for the first time, so we split up and had two games in parallel. (On yucata; the rest of the games were on BGA.)
  • Not Alone (7) - in which I took the creature and did terribly, but I think the players enjoyed it.
  • Incan Gold (6) - a bit of a palate-cleanser, it’s a game that does one thing to the exclusion of all else and does it very well.
  • Colt Express (6) - in which I told them about the shootiest bandit bonus but still managed to get it, thereby winning by a very narrow margin.

at which point I left because I was a bit tired and company-ed out.

8 Likes

I played an embarrassingly bad game of Praga Caput Regni this afternoon with my partner. The less said the better here: As I spun my wheels throughout the game “pursuing” apparently nothing at all, and building up to something so fragile that any hope of remaining competitive was contingent on a single action (itself contingent on a particularly lucrative draw)… and due to my partner’s final turn, I was locked out of being able to take that action whatsoever.

Final score had a point spread of something like 60 points? She outperformed me on the bridge (ostensibly my chosen focus) and it was the thing she did on the side of crushing all other aspects of the game.

I can’t remember the last time we got a game where the “grok” divide has been so severe/significant. I hope that narrows with more plays. The game isn’t fragile at all—this was very clearly a bad game on my part. Doesn’t mean I’m not a little salty. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m hungry for redemption. That says it all.

5 Likes

Love the term. Hope you get your redemption :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We just set up for another. Rainy days sometimes. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Good luck then and much grok :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The question will be: did I learn anything last game? For my poor ego I sure hope so!

4 Likes

With Praga did the winner just slowly harvest points whenever possible? My partner got to 136 points just doing that which is pretty decent for a first hit given the “solo mode” par is 140.

I think there are some games where the attraction of toys and novelties kills me!

I think it’s an okay game otherwise. It feels like the theming kind of gets in the way of the game a bit (like there’s a mechanism to represent each cool bit of Prague).

1 Like

We played our first two games of Castles of Tuscany - it’s always always a good sign if we get two games in a day of a single game.

The game does have one big flaw in that the rules as written in English are kind of broken. Specifically the rules state that a round ends when a player finishes a specific action on their turn which really impacts scoring because you score at the end of a round (meaning player 1 gets a the chance to do something to trigger the round end before the other players have had a balanced number of goes).

Also the components are nicer to the point of being functionally duff - a wild card is represented by a meeple rather than a card and a free action is represented by a wooden stone!

BUUUUUT you get that cool feeling of needing you play your turn next quickly because the opponent might get the thing you want and because there are three things you need to do but the time may run out to do them.

It’s a fun game!

2 Likes

**See edit.

I don’t know, it definitely feels like you need to be making those incremental bumps up the score track to stay competitive (and we’ve both done so in our games so far), but I’d temper that by saying neither of us have managed to maximize our end game potential either. I could see a player lagging in the chip-away game if the trade-off meant landing the perfect tiles/placements etc. to really crush it in the personal goals—which themselves take some real effort to even unlock!

I can see your gripe about the theming making things feel a bit busy, but I’ll offer a different take: the theme takes place [at a time] when a bunch of huge projects are taking place; so, lots of obvious primary goals. In a lot of point salad Euros, that tends to translate to choosing your favourite strategy and working it hard. I don’t think (*see above regarding my skill in this game) Praga is like that—not necessarily. I think it’s a big wide game that requires constant opportunism with respect to the entire game state. Depending on how the tiles fall and how other players move (particularly with respect to the city building), I think you can expect to see a pretty wild difference between games, as pertains to optimal strategies.

Anyway, it’s a bunch of waffling since I’m only mid-way through my 4th game of it, but I’m fascinated by this board and the way it all plays out. It’s definitely an incredibly mechanical game though, I don’t see it as a game that’ll sit right with everyone.

[EDIT] I’m a shut my big yapper. Game 2 is done, I was feeling pretty good having killed the road/bridge and built up half of Prague single-handedly. My partner had a slow start but made some huge plays near the end, and got to the top of the cathedral, and scooped up some nice points from the wall. We were all set to tally, both of us curious to see how much my partner was able to close the gap in this clear runaway game for me…

…148-106 for my partner. I’m gutted. Neither of us can figure it out, to the point where we’re discussing maybe a bunch of misses and/or points where I moved the wrong score token.

I just don’t get it. Had a blast until literally the score counting began. A few more like this and it’s curtains, but I’m still hopeful I’m just missing something.

1 Like

Me and the youngest beat Tranquility. It’s soooo pretty. I love the buzz of winning a co op for the first time

9 Likes

Monday Night Games was a buzz. First played Everdell, there has been some buzz in the Guild with the new KS campaign, so we played it between four. Interesting how surprising the game is. After a first round in winter where I did really poorly and did not build a thing, just gathered resources, I was considering how on Earth are we going to be able to build up 15 spaces in our town.

And we did. We did big time. I thought I must have been doing well when on two occasions they tried to endorse me the Fool for -2 points. I managed to build a dungeon and send the first one to jail. Then, when they sent me another one, something clicked in my head, I was just one scroll short to get the 9 points worth card that requested two of each symbol. And I had a storekeeper in my hand. So that -2 Fool turned into a plus 7. I managed to win, with 44 points, followed by 37, 35 and 33. I really loved the game, and how exponential it can get. Definitely my favourite worker placement/resource management game so far.

Then we moved on to Detective Club, a favourite of the Guild. We managed to quickly get 7 players, and as usual, it was a buzz. The Dixit style cards are always fun to play with, specially trying to guess who was the clueless person. So often my cards were so rubbish I got accused very often (at least every round but one) and I always had the clue (!). I must have a suspicious aura… Cannot even remember who won, but I managed 10 points, and was happy with that. It is one of those games where the fun is not in the final scores, they are an add on, the fun is in the game itself, the weird explanations, the guessing, and the accusations.

6 Likes

Last night, we played my brother-in-law’s new copy of Stardew Valley: the Board Game. Because I am the “gamer” in the family, I was the one who learned the game and punched out the components. The cardboard tiles are pretty good quality (though not all of them were fully punched through), but the card stock is kind of crap. I am not at all familiar with the video game, so I have no idea how well the game represents it, but from most reviews I have seen, many people think it does a good job of it.

We ended up playing the short variant, since it was our first time playing, so there was the Teach to deal with, plus a number of stops to look up details on the various actions. It’s not overly complex, but there’s enough wiggly bits that a few look ups the first time were inevitable. It helps that it is co-op, so everything is out in the open.

The game is pretty cute, but definitely hard because there are a lot of objectives to accomplish in limited time, and depending on the objective, you may be at the mercy of dice to complete it. You need hearts to reveal the community center objectives (1 per player, per objective, 6 in full game, 3 in short game), which you mostly get from befriending villagers. However, when you draw from the villager deck, you do not know ahead of time what they like or hate, so it is possible you will not have a resource to give them that will get you hearts, meaning your action was wasted. Fishing is dice based, and it is possible a bad roll prevents you from getting anything off of the fish track. Same with mining, which involves rolling two dice and comparing on a grid, which changes as you descend in the mine.

If you move between two locations, you can forage, letting you take a face down tile from either side of the path, which can get you stuff to sell or use for befriending villagers, or minerals or artifacts which can be donated to the museum, which can be one of the objectives to win the game. These can also be gained from geodes which can be obtained in the mine, then opened by another location where you roll one die to see what is contained inside it, which will be ore, a mineral, or an artifact. So, more randomness.

Despite all the randomness, I did enjoy what we played. It was pretty clear by the beginning of Winter that we were not going to win, but it is a relaxing game. I like that there is time to sell goods and trade things between players at the beginning of each turn, which lets you strategize during each planning phase as to who should do what each turn.

The game length is a bit of a concern, as it took us about two hours to play. The short variant. To be fair, I am assuming this will drop with familiarity, as my understanding is the full game should take about that amount of time.

3 Likes

Would you recommend it for a group of 7? It’s one of those games hovering around the edges of my wishlist, just because I haven’t heard much about it.

It plays well at 7. (It actually scales surprisingly well; I wouldn’t expect a game like this to feel balanced at 2 too, but it does.) Most of the card play is concurrent so adding more players doesn’t necessarily slow it down much. If you fancy a game on BGA some time…

3 Likes

This evening on BGA with what’s normally Local Game Group:

• Tranquility – by coincidence after @Captbnut posted above. Lost with one open space left when a player ran out of cards. Works much better if you can multiply by 9/20 and divide by 6 in your head, or maybe that’s just me.
  • Colt Express – don’t play the 2-3 player variant, it’s very weird. But with 4 it’s entirely workable. I contend that the full game with the playable Marshal is very much better, though, and it’s odd that only the base game got implemented. Definitely one I’m going to haul out in person again when I can.
  • The Crew – tough but enjoyable with five players. I would be entirely unable to play this without making notes, though. (With a fountain pen in a disc-bound notebook because apparently I am that sort of person now.)
4 Likes

Had several games of Through the Ages with the same group online. Remains a fave of mine.

1 Like

Well that was a weird game against the Race for the Galaxy bot.

2 Likes

What is going on in that picture? I saw 97 and nearly had a heart attack because I thought it was a score!

1 Like

Just completed a 3 player TTS Spirit Island. We teamed up with a guy who knows the game well who kept us on the rails.

Really enjoyed it and can’t wait to play again.

6 Likes

97 cards left in the draw pile!

My start world was Earth’s Lost Colony, and my first action was to place Alien Toy Shop down. Emptying my hand.

I could then mill Consume (double VP) and Produce for a bit too shabby 6 VP a turn. Draining the VP Pool of 24 in 8 turns.

The Bot couldn’t keep up on the settle brown strategy.

4 Likes