Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Stephenson’s Rocket - went dead last :sob:

Anno 1800 - interesting Euro where you can access other player’s tableau with trading, meaning you don’t need to build the whole shebang to go through the tech tree. I am not sure about this game. I’m leaning on “I enjoyed it, but not keen on playing it again” at the moment.

Senators - ultra cheesy game, but it rocks. I left the games club night with a realisation: whenever I play a Jim Felli game, I end up wanting to play a Rikki Tahta game instead.

5 Likes

So I’ve now played 2 games of Lost Ruins of Arnak on Board Game Arena…

Thankfully, it’s good! I was a little worried after having purchased the expansion before playing the game that I was just tossing good money after bad, but no! It is legitimately good.

And I am very, very bad at it. But that’s okay! It’s a little slower than I thought it would be, but gosh I can’t come up with a coherent strategy for it yet. I’m usually about midway up the Research Track (which seems to be the main way to score points) by the time the game ends, and my opponents are crunching through Temple Points somehow.

Hopefully I figure something out before long!

6 Likes

The only thing I remember from my one play (also on BGA) is “not enough tablet”

2 Likes

I tend to always go for the sites and monsters and artifacts while my wife goes up the research track, like I’m just going after her shooting the critters and picking up the stuff while she geeks out over wall carvings and such…

She usually wins, but I feel like that doesn’t invalidate my strategy since she wins at EVERYTHING anyway. :rofl:

4 Likes

Games night!

Started with Dual Gauge, took the win so it’s obviously excellent. Then St Peterburg fun light tableau builder. Seven Wonders Architects, I thought Sushi Go was a light drafting game. This is featherweight.

3 Likes

Played my new copies of the wallet versions of Sprawlopolis and Ugly Gryphon Inn.

I am… not yet any good at Sprawlopolis. First solo game I scored 30 against a target of 31, by sacrificing EVERYTHING to get a giant loop road and losing points all over the place.

Ugly Gryphon Inn is great. I eventually got 7 guests stable and in the Inn (I think) with something like 6 having left. Nice solo. Stupid goblins.

6 Likes

Played some Testament first up. It’s ok. I had fun, good puzzleyness to it. Maybe not that full step up in to greatness bit I’d certainly play again. Boss batller type coop with anime art, skill progressions and surprisingly not boobtacular.

Next up saw Pipeline hot the table. This games is great fun. Unless you’re @lalunaverde :expressionless:. Cash converting your oil around is something I still find fun. I enjoy the tricky balance of getting your momentum up and the scratchy start to the last years managing cash to make sure you can run your machines every turn. The upgrades are I think the weak part. I still play without making extra tracks unavailable. Partly as I don’t want to hear a particular person complain about if, but also I want more of them in the game as they can be a bit fun skewing incentives about the place. Really enjoyed this one.

Rounded off with 2 games of Heul Doch! Mau Mau second hand we even used the special powers! I like the powers, will use them again for sure. I think I particularly like how fast the game is.

3 Likes

Pipeline -:nauseated_face: :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face:

Jokings aside: I wasn’t that hot about it. Lacking in both common space and shared incentives, it was enough for me to ignore it now. The strategic planning is pretty good that it stops me from fully disliking it.

Heul Doch! Mau Mau

2 Likes

Quick game of Lost Cities with my wife this evening. Another win for me, 156 - 89. Though I do think we just had our collectively lowest scoring round in this game in round 3, where she won 15 - 3.

3 Likes

After logging nearly 70 plays of Hardback on BGA, 49 of those with the same friend, I think we need a break. Yesterday we lost against Penny Dreadful once again—we have managed to win about every other game recently. There is some luck involved in how the expensive cards come up but it requires strictly great deck building. Great coop. Still… we need another game to play.

I tried a quick solo of A Fest for Odin on BGA (yep it’s quick!) to see if this might be a thing for us. Having only ever played a few games a year or two back, I had a bit of a difficult time getting started but at least I didn’t finish with negative points :stuck_out_tongue: Not sure if this is a good game for us. We previously played Tash Kalar but this became too confrontational to be played “on the side” all the time. I am open to suggestions for good async 2 player games that play “long”.

With my other regular BGA playing partner I’ve also graduated from Hardback, to a series of Castles of Burgundy and now we’re playing Lost Ruins of Arnak. She’s still learning, so its slow going but this is game 4 for me overall and I am enjoying every play of it a little more as I start understanding how it all comes together.

Also played board #3 of Welcome to the Moon and almost didn’t manage to fill the last ”box”.That’s the most tricksy one so far. I expect it to only get harder. I am not playing the campaign now, just adventuring through the different boards. It’s lovely and there are enough similarities and visual queues that I expect the specific rules for each scenario to stick. I may need a player aid for the missions though. My partner declared he wanted to participate when I start the campaign. But that will have to wait, we have several on-going campaign games…

Speaking of which. He also said he wasn’t interested in losing My City against me any more. So I played the next 5 games last night—two handed. Funny enough my right hand played his board and he won 5 of 5 games… I like polyominoes and I tend to not think too much about placement. And the less I look the better I play apparently, it’s not like I concentrated any on what right hand did. And that’s why my partner doesn’t play these with me. He has to think for a good while—bordering on AP—before placing a tile why my foot has already tapped out half a novel waiting and then he still loses. He can’t fathom how I do it and neither do I—seeing how I repeatedly failed at Planet Unknown. It makes him feel stupid when we both know he is everything but. I’ll finish this quickly I think. The game just hasn’t a lot of substance and I dislike having too many on-going campaigns.

4 Likes

I’m happy to play async AFFO if you want to try it.

I tried to play it solo but couldn’t get it to work

As far as other 2 player async - Great Western Trail scales well, but you’d both need alpha access. Shout if you’re interested.

T’zolkin might be worth a look?

2 Likes

It sounds like EVERYONE is playing this and NO ONE is liking it. But then tomorrow someone else has played it.

Marketing juggernaut? What’s the driver here?

1 Like

I certainly heard about the launch from more places than I usually hear about things. I suspect this is an attempt to sell to the mass market rather than to self-identified gamers.

3 Likes

Yeah, my friend got it and it’s a hit with his less gamer inclined daughter.

He enjoys it enough for that, and this is someone who owns 20 18XX games. There’s a slight touch of asymmetry and strategy.

But like @RogerBW says, I also suspect it’s pushing a premium game production into the mass market.

2 Likes

I’ve played it and I like it better than regular 7 Wonders. Duel is still better though.

2 Likes

Today was the next day of my gaming holiday! Played 2 thirds of a game of 18West. Had loads of fun with it. Mergers are reasonably interesting here plus it’s heavily operational and heavy on the history based rules. Things develop fast and I the train rush is quite ‘hold on to your hats’. Looking forward to finishing a game with all the correct rules next time.

The, on Spirit Island, Sharp Fangs, Heart of the Wildfire and Vengeance as a Burning Plague chased Prussia 3 of the island. As always good fun was had.

Lastly a fourth joined and we played Pulsar 2849. I’m pleased to report that this game was significantly better than the previous outing. This time we randomised tech and end game scoreas plus we used player boards. Really enjoyed this session, the whole thing just opened up. Still competitive and on top of each other. If you don’t like point salad euros stay away, but if you have any tolerance then this is a good one. I think now I play games less often I’m having a euro renaissance. With this, Scorpius Freighter, Pipeline and Rome & Roll all being hits for me last week it’s been like a breath of fresh air.

6 Likes

My City was more interesting than I expected. My mind wasn’t blown by it, but it was a pretty tense game, at least. Knizia’s foray into modern design was pretty good so far. But this game isn’t my thing. I don’t own the game so it’s all cool.

3 Likes

GWT is definitely on my list to try. I looked for it after Toms roundup video and was surprised it wasn’t at least in beta by now.

Tried Tzolkin with my partner a while back. It was nice but I don’t think this is the game I want to play with my friend.

4 Likes

Have had to retire the Doppelt so Clever app after a game this morning, with a new high score of 402. Never going to beat that, not even worth trying. Maybe time to move on to the next one!

7 Likes

Wow!! Have you got a screenshot?

1 Like