Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

Yeah, my friend got it and it’s a hit with his less gamer inclined daughter.

He enjoys it enough for that, and this is someone who owns 20 18XX games. There’s a slight touch of asymmetry and strategy.

But like @RogerBW says, I also suspect it’s pushing a premium game production into the mass market.

2 Likes

I’ve played it and I like it better than regular 7 Wonders. Duel is still better though.

2 Likes

Today was the next day of my gaming holiday! Played 2 thirds of a game of 18West. Had loads of fun with it. Mergers are reasonably interesting here plus it’s heavily operational and heavy on the history based rules. Things develop fast and I the train rush is quite ‘hold on to your hats’. Looking forward to finishing a game with all the correct rules next time.

The, on Spirit Island, Sharp Fangs, Heart of the Wildfire and Vengeance as a Burning Plague chased Prussia 3 of the island. As always good fun was had.

Lastly a fourth joined and we played Pulsar 2849. I’m pleased to report that this game was significantly better than the previous outing. This time we randomised tech and end game scoreas plus we used player boards. Really enjoyed this session, the whole thing just opened up. Still competitive and on top of each other. If you don’t like point salad euros stay away, but if you have any tolerance then this is a good one. I think now I play games less often I’m having a euro renaissance. With this, Scorpius Freighter, Pipeline and Rome & Roll all being hits for me last week it’s been like a breath of fresh air.

6 Likes

My City was more interesting than I expected. My mind wasn’t blown by it, but it was a pretty tense game, at least. Knizia’s foray into modern design was pretty good so far. But this game isn’t my thing. I don’t own the game so it’s all cool.

3 Likes

GWT is definitely on my list to try. I looked for it after Toms roundup video and was surprised it wasn’t at least in beta by now.

Tried Tzolkin with my partner a while back. It was nice but I don’t think this is the game I want to play with my friend.

4 Likes

Have had to retire the Doppelt so Clever app after a game this morning, with a new high score of 402. Never going to beat that, not even worth trying. Maybe time to move on to the next one!

7 Likes

Wow!! Have you got a screenshot?

1 Like

Still can’t believe I managed a decent score with all 3s in the blue, let alone 402.

8 Likes

I’m so impressed. The most foxes I’ve managed is 4

3 Likes

Speaking of good scores, I just scored +12 (51-24 vs 15) in Sprawlopolis!

The 'Burbs and Master Planned support one another extremely well; but even so that seems like a great result : ) (Even if I initially got overly excited and thought I’d scored +27 when I hadn’t yet subtracted the value of the scoring cards…)

7 Likes

I always aim for foxes in the yellow, green, blue and pink. Silver often feels like pot luck.

2 Likes

Just a suspicion, but I think a lot of people love Sushi Go and the original 7 Wonders is basically a big, complicated Sushi Go… but it’s a significant step up in complexity and symbols. Especially the final scoring. So the concept of a “more complicated but not that much more complicated Sushi Go” appeals.

Too bad the game is kinda trash… hmmm. Maybe not “kinda”. (IMO, obviously, YMMV, but I found it way too light)

2 Likes

Congrats. How can you live with such a huge number of tiny streets though?

All my residents are too busy enjoying the beautiful parks to worry about the weird roads.

2 Likes

I think the appeal of 7 wonders architects lies almost in the same space as horse race gambling. This low control effort for things to go your way - it’s got a similar thrilling race. The skill required to play it well and its openness means everyone playing a) knows what they need to to well and b) Knows how well everyone else is doing.

I also think the aesthetic of the game of building something really helps the game.

2 Likes

I took my inaugural run of Hellboy using the tutorial case file, but played normally (no scripted rounds or setup). I’m glad I started with this one since it had been a long time since I played and the cobwebs were thick, but things got moving nice and quick after just a few rounds.

This case isn’t especially interesting, but does pose a pretty hefty challenge via the final encounter. Thankfully I was able to trigger the final confrontation in what is technically the best way; the setup is definitely the best for the agents positionally, but it can also trip early and catch them underprepared. Things went well, mostly because I lucked out with (a lack of) enemy reinforcements being called in.

To start with, Hellboy got pounced on by the boss and took a nasty 6-damage hit, earning a stun with it. Abe saw where this was going and GTFO quick, tucking around the corner and taking aim at the two (ranged) venomous frogmen ready to strike. He made short work of the first one, but only grazed the second, so they’d need to wait till next round. HB, meanwhile, spent his 2/3 actions to stand up, and took a big wallop at the giant frogman for a decent chunk of damage. It responded by hurling HB across the room, earning him another stun, though thankfully it wasn’t able to target Abe with the throw.

Abe was able to polish off the other frogman in the next round, but wasn’t able to do more than rejoin the fight with the boss afterward. Hellboy had to dust himself off again and with only one action left (and the boss now across the room), decided to use his gun. By some miracle he (barely) hit, so his damage boost kicked in and suddenly the giant frogman was just under half health. Of course, he then walked over and knocked Hellboy right out cold. It was up to Abe.

Time for a hail Mary. I had collected two insight tokens during the mission, so I was tossing two black (best) dice along with my usual third (red) and I decided to use my harpoon for its ranged ability, adding 4 damage to my result. After its resilience was taken into account I had still landed 9 hits, enough to finish it off with almost half its health remaining! Hellboy had lucked out and recovered immediately but he had done his job as a ragdoll I suppose. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Has anyone else played Stella - the latest version of Dixit that is not Dixit? I played a game on BGA on Friday and I’m not sure what to make of it.

3 Likes

FWIW: Review: The Search for Planet X & Stellar - Shut Up & Sit Down

Edit: Wait, that’s not the same game. Sorry; nothing to see here…

I did think I remembered some kind of SUSD coverage, but apparently I was thinking of some other site (and then SUSD’s search results confused me).

2 Likes

I have been meaning to play as I love Dixit. But haven’t had the chance.

2 Likes

I just think of A Streetcar Named Desire every time I see that name.

*Actually that’s not true, I think of Cameron in Modern Family looking for a dog called Stella and referencing A Streetcar Named Desire

2 Likes