Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

OK, I can answer some of these questions. Terra Mystica on BGA is a “premium” game: that means that the person who sets up the game (defines number of players, invites people, etc.) must be a paying member. Other players need not be paying members.

If you play from the same IPv4 address as another member, there’ll be a flag on their entries in the lobby saying something like “X plays from the same address as Y, see our policy”. Basically this is “please don’t collude out-of-band” – they don’t want two people sitting next to each other making private deals that the rest of the game doesn’t know about. (Also they don’t want you playing against your own sockpuppet to boost your game score.) But I know a couple who regularly play this way and they say they haven’t had any warnings or other problems, just that flag.

2 Likes

Thanks.

We wouldn’t collude, it was just if we could both play in the same game.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t express that well. That’s what BGA is worried about, and it’s why they put the flag on – they specifically don’t have a policy saying “you may not play from the same address as another player”.

I think that if neither if you is a paying member, and you try to play a game without a paying member in it, you will find that one of you is unable to join.

2 Likes

Yucata.de also has Terra Mystica with fewer stipulations than BGA. It’s likely, however, that BGA’s implementation is better.

I have no experience with Terra Mystica on Yucata, BGA, nor physical.

3 Likes

Yeh, we found this the other day trying to play stuff as 5 players, but 4 of them were two couples living together, so we had to play as 3 players.

And then I (playing alone) won every game.

1 Like

After recently picking up way too much Aeon’s End (mostly due to this thread: Aeon's End: what is it like and why should I care?), I was eager to get it played.

I really think this will be a good co-op game that my partner and I can enjoy together. There’s certainly enough content in the AE collection I bought secondhand to keep us playing for a long time (seriously, I don’t know why they keep making more sets! There’s SOO MUCH – maybe there are people that have explored it all… I doubt that number is north of 1000 people in the entire world, though)

At first, I felt like the 1-sheet “Hey! You, don’t look at that other stuff, start here!” introductory rules were amazing. The previous owner of my collection had re-assembled the “Stop A” and “Stop C” decks prior to sending the game (I double-checked them still… it’s what I do). Unfortunately, that 1-page sheet stopped short of actually walking me through the game. The end result was that I had to read the entire rulebook anyway – no big deal, as it turned out! What an elegant game (if the designer is not a skilled computer programmer, I would be surprised; the game flow certainly leverages some idioms you see in computer programming).

Aeon’s End is a deckbuilder with the twist that you never shuffle your deck. Ever. As you add cards to your discard at the end of your turn, you are given the choice to arrange them in whatever order you like.

Ultimately, I was a bit confused by this; my interpretation of the rulebook is that any spells cast are immediately discarded in the order that they are cast (the order you cast is up to the player, but they must be discarded in the same order; this rarely mattered in my game). Then, during the action phase, you can play Gems and Relics from your hand but don’t add them to your discard yet; you may also buy cards from the market and immediately add them to your discard in the order you buy them. And then finally, you place the Gems and Relics played on your turn into your discard in any order.

I could certainly see an argument for “a player’s turn is atomic; any cards entering the discard on a single turn can be placed in any order as long as the order of cards from previous rounds are not altered” – but the rules do not suggest this at all (or I’m missing a nuance somewhere).

My nemesis was the Introductory Baddy™, Ragebourne who was an absolute pushover using the unshuffled “Stop C” deck – again, assuming I interpreted the rules correctly; I believe it was:

• Assess each card in the line, newest to oldest oldest to newest (I may have done this backwards! I honestly don’t remember but I probably did whatever the player aid card says (hopefully). Thanks, Roger, for correcting me!)
  • Draw a card; resolve immediate effects (such as Attacks) and/or place new card in the line, sliding all other cards down.
  • If Rageborne has 4 or more Fury tokens, draw a Strike card, resolve, and shuffle the Strike card back into the Strike deck. Remove 3 Fury tokens. (I did this correctly, just forgot to type it here)

And then only add new Fury tokens when an Unleash effect is resolved.

I was playing 2-handed solo (which is the newbie-friendly recommended solo mode, I think) with Brama and Jian. Brama was absolutely the key to my easy victory; being able to easily heal herself and Jian a couple of times throughout the game meant I never had to worry too much about taking damage, which allowed me to choose damage to my mages over different outcomes on some “this OR that” cards that came up. Jian was an absolute beast when it came to generating damage output; I opened up his 3rd breach ASAP (to get the + damage) and loaded him up with high-damage cards, though I only managed to activate his special ability twice.

At the end, Brama had 8 life left (having just healed herself on the penultimate turn of the game), Jian had 7 and Gravehold was holding steady at 19.

I’m excited to introduce this to my partner; I hope she’ll enjoy it as much as I think she will.

A blurry picture

Deckbuilder:

2 Likes

Yeah, this is the one bit the rulebook doesn’t cover cleanly. The answer is as you laid it out. I call the spent gems and relics the “pending-discard” area when I’m teaching the game face to face.

The nemesis turn is as you had it too, but it’s oldest to newest, and a Strike costs Rageborne 3 Fury tokens. (And there may be a misprint depending on which edition you have; Rageborne should start with one Fury token.) A thing people get wrong: if you have eleventeen Fury, that’s still only one Strike.

As players develop skill, they often seem to shift from “healing is great” to “more attack powers”.

2 Likes

My copy has this incorrect (I have a 1st edition; I suspect all of the SKUs in my AE collection are the 1st edition of that particular product – I bought this collection from somebody who certainly seemed to love it; it makes me worry that they had a falling out with it or, even worse, they desperately needed the money).

However, while reading a BGG forum thread to clarify something (honestly don’t remember what) about setup, somebody mentioned this and showed a picture of the revised/corrected Rageborne setup instructions so I actually fixed it before getting started.

I’m currently playing games on both platforms. I have a slight preference for the layout on BGA, but there’s not a lot in it, and Yucata has the benefit of not requiring a premium account.

3 Likes

While looking to answer your question earlier, I accidentally joined a BGA game of Terra Mystica and didn’t notice until it had started. Well, I’d been thinking about learning it…

5 Likes

Enjoy your game!

Played another game of Food Chain Magnate tonight. Won this time with a tight lead of $2!

I went for a burger rush strategy, and manage to get the CFO bonus of +50% on your total revenue. I thought I was being clever if I nab all the milestones that gives revenue bonus for burgers, pizzas, and drinks. Thought it was clever, but it wasn’t in the end, as I can only focus on one thing. SHould have focused on one thing pizza or burger, then build some gardens and more advertisement, which would have made the rush an actual rush, rather than a jog.

FCM is becoming one of my fave heavy games.

Played Maria as the Prussian and Pragmatic Alliance. It’s an interesting position since as Prussia I’m friends with France and against Austria. Then, with the Pragmatics, it’s the other way around. We only finished 1 year out of 4. We stopped after the Winter.

I’m not sure about combat. If your region is spades, you can only play spade cards. So on and so forth. Seems to incentivise defensive posturing with this mechanism, and bluffing seems to be too much risk, but I need more plays of it.

5 Likes

My son was over last night so we got in a couple of games.

First up was Bushido, and fun, and sometimes brutally quick, dueling game. You draft a hand of 5 attack cards, that add abilities and various dice, and secretly select a weapon, with various bonuses and restrictions.

What’s interesting is that you “strike” your opponent on your turn, but they do not take damage until the end of their turn, as they can mitigate the damage. This is important as the damage scales higher than the strikes do; 1 strike is 1 damage, but 2 strikes is 3, 3 strikes is 6 DMG, 4 strikes is 10, and 6 or more strikes undefended is death. Considering you only have 12 health at the start, games can end very quickly.

We played a best of 3, and my son won games 1 and 3. He drafted a very aggressive deck, so unless I could get ahead and strike hard, he took me down fairly quick. It’s a surprisingly deep little game…though the box could be smaller, lol.

Up next was Res Arcana. It was a bit of a slow game to start, getting our engines going. I was able to get to 10 points by passing first (first turn marker is worth one point), and he was able to get to 9, but couldn’t get the last 1 or 2. He had a card that kept stacking resources, and I think if he’d pulled them off a turn earlier, he would have had enough to take the win.

That’s in for now! :grin:

3 Likes

Some games with Mum while she was visiting (first time in ages!):

Spring Meadow, tense early game, but I managed a large bunch of grouped holes which pulled me in front toward the end. Definitely filled a lot of our boards in this game though, more than either of us remembered seeing previously.

Finca, quite a tight game this time around, very popular with Mum - I think it’s a bit underrated honestly - it does what it does quite well. She still insists on not playing with the tighter 2-player set up in the new version, though I would like to try it and see how it changes the feel.

Splendor, a few back to back games of this one. Again always popular with Mum and provides interesting decisions within a fairly rules-lite environment so I can see why.

I had hoped to introduce her to Point Salad or Silver and Gold but we ran out of time :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m tempted to just buy Splendor. It’s so good.

4 Likes

What are the changes it makes for 2?

You play with less fruit available. Only 9 of each type with 2 players.

1 Like

Played a quick game of Splendor with my wife tonight. Tried a strategy of going for more of the middle tier of cards right away and reserving cards for gold more often, but it didn’t pan out. Lost 15 - 7. I think you need more players in the game for that kind of strategy to work out.

I like it that way. The game scales based on player count

Three solo games of Terraforming Mars, one last night and two this morning. The first two I lost, but I just won the third, finally!

For those who play and know it, all I needed to complete terraforming at the end of the 14th and final generation was two more steps on the oxygen track. I had enough plants to add a greenery tile, which left me with six plants. Luckily I had one last legal tile gave me two plants, taking me up to 8 and letting me place one last greenery to finish the oxygen track.

Literally the very last thing that could have happened in the game, if I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have scored anything at all. As it turns out I ended with 69.

(Dude)

I still love this game, every single time you play it’s different, and the solo challenge is so tight.