Puzzles, Anyone?

That’s odd. It should be the whole episode (every episode of his show is on YT). Unless it’s some regional restriction shenanigans …

1 Like

Could have been my browser deciding to refresh some page content, since I was watching in the embedded player, rather than a dedicated tab.

Puzzles are stamped out using a die, that’s basically a very complicated knife. The dies are expensive. (I was going to say I ddin’t know how much they cost, and guess $2000 or so a pop, based on what I know about other things. But, I remembered it’s the future, and you can buy puzzle cutting machines and dies on Amazon. A die runs $2kish, so I wasn’t that far off.) There’s no reason to replace one before it wears out. A big puzzle company might have mulitple production lines, so they could have different dies (meaning two notionally identical puzzles might not match) running at the same time. And there’s rotational freedom (one of my daughter’s puzzles I was doin this with was upside down.)

I smell an art project for a surrealist.

I was talking more about the edge registration of the uncut board with the die.

1 Like

And of course your high-end puzzles are not only cut with custom dies but often have whimsies (specially-shaped pieces) that are designed in terms of looking good in isolation. See for example this post (Greer has been doing a lot of puzzles while isolated in Boston).

3 Likes

I expect a big driver is “what are supposed to do with the 999 pieces you didn’t lose?”

1 Like

Sell it in a charity shop and perpetuate the customer engagement

that’s pretty cool

Cross-referencing with this:

1 Like

I saw your post and I’m kicking myself for missing the KS (and Backerkit) for the physical product on this one. I may shell out the money for a PnP copy just on your endorsement and my sheer interest, but I’ll hold out hope for a reprint/sequel. This is the kind of item where a nice copy would go a long way.

You might still be able to find a new one… I also didn’t back (or even know about) the Kickstarter; I just saw it in a local store’s online listing (not all that long ago), and thought it sounded delightful. Moreover, this seems like a very solid “play and sell” proposition given the dry-erase approach, and it being a fixed set of puzzles – I’m pretty sure there will be second-hand copies in good condition to be had.

1 Like

Twisty Little Passages is managing to throw some unexpected variety into the mix (as well as getting harder – I’m finding many of the maps to be quite the time-sink). It’s all variants on the same theme, but I just finished a map which included a secondary “secret” exit, which I convinced myself simply wasn’t possible to get to. The following map then includes two separate and mutually-exclusive goals; one of which gets you to the regular exit, and the other of which provides you with an additional piece of equipment to take back to the previous map, which will enable you to reach the secret exit, which in turn gets you to a bonus map. So as well as the regular puzzle, some of these maps can be tackled repeatedly in different ways with different goals. Quite nifty.

1 Like