Podcasts recommendations

Just a call out to fellow gamers interested in ancient history and science.

My 9 y.o. daughter is getting quite into going to sleep with a podcast, and I am running out of ideas. She likes a lot things like Greek Mythology and Science. Has anybody any suggestions?

It’s quite the worry and date filled podcast but I really like Revolutions by Mike Duncan.

Covers, well, Revolutions from the English Civil War up to and ending with the Russian Revolution

(Your Milage May Vary with a nine year old)

1 Like

Terrible Lizards, Iszi Lawrence and David Hone talk about dinosaurs.

1 Like

Homeschool History from Greg Jenner on the BBC.

You’re Dead to Me is the main programme but has a fair amount of swearing. Homeschool is the kids version

2 Likes

Stuff you missed in history class is very good

1 Like

The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry is a BBC science podcast. The complexity of the science varies, but they do answer listener questions from all ages.

4 Likes

Similar ish to this is The Infinite Monkey Cage, although I’m not sure how a 9 year old would handle it.

2 Likes

There’s also a Radio Edit which I think takes out the swearing.

While not a podcast, I thoroughly recommend getting Stephen Fry’s retelling of the Greek myths and legends on Audiobook - “Mythos”, “Heroes” and “Troy”

To add to Mike Duncan’s Revolutions, he also did one about The History of Rome. Again, very detailed so might not suit a 9-year-old, although I read large chunks of Gibbon’s ‘Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire’ when I was not much older so may we underestimate kids sometimes.

Revisionist History is a good listen (very left leaning) but not ancient history in the slightest.

Hidden Brain is quite good about behavioural science. Crowd Science from BBC Worldwide can be quite interesting.

3 Likes

There is a Canadian science podcast run by a couple out of Toronto called “ASAP Science.” Their main schtick is running a Youtube science channel, but they do the podcast to talk about stuff they’ve learned in a tangent to the main show. They’re very funny/clever, but I’m not 100% sure it’s kid appropriate all the time? It’s probably okay, but don’t quote me on it.

The other one I listen to all the time is “No Such Thing as a Fish” by the QI research team. They’re brilliant, but almost certainly not age appropriate frequently. Which is a pity, they’re great.

Edit: The Youtube channel is called AsapSCIENCE, the podcast is apparently called Sidenote. Learn something new every day!

1 Like

I love No Such Thing as a Fish.

We saw them on their last tour, would love to go this time as well but still too nervous about Covid to be in a theatre.

But agree, definitely not for a 9 year old

2 Likes

Another NSTAAF lover but I wouldn’t call it a science podcast

2 Likes

I wouldn’t either, but I think they won a Science Communication award a couple of years ago.

*one google later… they won the Heinz Oberhummer Award for Science Communication in 2019

1 Like

Fair enough!

a Podcast of Unnecessary Detail with Matt Parker and Helen Arney, joined by Steve Mould, is also worth a listen - only 7 episodes tho. Don’t know if they are doing any more

3 Likes

Sorry, just read my post and I hope I didn’t come across as a dick, that certainly wasn’t the intention

4 Likes

WOW! Thanks everybody, that’s a lot of sources. I tried Homeschool History last night and she loved it. Cleopatra and Leonardo Da Vinci for starters, she was a happy girl. I must remember to tag this thread, and I hope it is useful for other readers.

2 Likes

The Past and the Curious is another one for kids

2 Likes

Should podcast recommendations not about ancient history and science go here as well? I don’t subscribe to any podcasts myself, but my partner is an avid listener of Griefcast (comedians discussing death) and The Guilty Feminist (comedians discussing feminism), so I frequently listen to those by proxy, and they’re both good.

1 Like

I don’t see why not - we had a podcast thread on the old forum

1 Like

I think any podcast recommended I am going to give it a go, it’s just that in this particular case, I needed it child friendly

2 Likes