Just a call out to fellow gamers interested in ancient history and science.
My 9 y.o. daughter is getting quite into going to sleep with a podcast, and I am running out of ideas. She likes a lot things like Greek Mythology and Science. Has anybody any suggestions?
The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry is a BBC science podcast. The complexity of the science varies, but they do answer listener questions from all ages.
There’s also a Radio Edit which I think takes out the swearing.
While not a podcast, I thoroughly recommend getting Stephen Fry’s retelling of the Greek myths and legends on Audiobook - “Mythos”, “Heroes” and “Troy”
To add to Mike Duncan’s Revolutions, he also did one about The History of Rome. Again, very detailed so might not suit a 9-year-old, although I read large chunks of Gibbon’s ‘Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire’ when I was not much older so may we underestimate kids sometimes.
Revisionist History is a good listen (very left leaning) but not ancient history in the slightest.
Hidden Brain is quite good about behavioural science. Crowd Science from BBC Worldwide can be quite interesting.
There is a Canadian science podcast run by a couple out of Toronto called “ASAP Science.” Their main schtick is running a Youtube science channel, but they do the podcast to talk about stuff they’ve learned in a tangent to the main show. They’re very funny/clever, but I’m not 100% sure it’s kid appropriate all the time? It’s probably okay, but don’t quote me on it.
The other one I listen to all the time is “No Such Thing as a Fish” by the QI research team. They’re brilliant, but almost certainly not age appropriate frequently. Which is a pity, they’re great.
Edit: The Youtube channel is called AsapSCIENCE, the podcast is apparently called Sidenote. Learn something new every day!
a Podcast of Unnecessary Detail with Matt Parker and Helen Arney, joined by Steve Mould, is also worth a listen - only 7 episodes tho. Don’t know if they are doing any more
WOW! Thanks everybody, that’s a lot of sources. I tried Homeschool History last night and she loved it. Cleopatra and Leonardo Da Vinci for starters, she was a happy girl. I must remember to tag this thread, and I hope it is useful for other readers.
Should podcast recommendations not about ancient history and science go here as well? I don’t subscribe to any podcasts myself, but my partner is an avid listener of Griefcast (comedians discussing death) and The Guilty Feminist (comedians discussing feminism), so I frequently listen to those by proxy, and they’re both good.