[PbP] Many Games, One Collaborative World

No objection

1 Like

Iā€™m actually partial to colony or dragon quest, and less keen on heist or rebellion!

2 Likes

I fancy colony, but am happy with any option

1 Like

I would also prefer Colony, and would avoid Heist

1 Like

Colony it is then!

What difficulties do you all think we face in establishing our colony? We need to pick two, and I feel these can start to place our world as a whole - for example if one of the difficulties is ā€œThe aliens on this world are more intelligent and hostile than scans indicatedā€, then weā€™re probably not in a high fantasy worldā€¦ probably :wink: Or if itā€™s "The colony is established on top of goblin tunnels, then weā€™re probably not in hard Sci-fiā€¦ probably!!!

I think if we get a lot of good ideas, with no two clear leading then Iā€™ll make a poll, with the one guideline to not vote for one of your own! Put down as many ideas as you have, thereā€™s no limit here

My suggestion is ā€œMany of the colonists were sent here after being convinced this would be paradise, we have few people ready for hard work and harsh living, but many mouths to feed.ā€

The game has suggestions for this scenario, Iā€™ll list them here, if you need inspiration or just like them a lot, feel free to choose one or more from here:

We donā€™t have the supplies we need
The ecosystem is inhospitable
There are dangerous lifeforms
We were forced to land on the wrong planet. Our surveys are useless (Planet could always be Island, etc)
Thereā€™s dissent and disagreement
Other colonists are already here,a nd they are not happy about our intrusion

3 Likes

A first wave of colonist was sent a few year before us, and are supposed to welcome us in our new land. They are nowhere to be found.

3 Likes

The plane we are in contains no matter,

Or,

We contain no matter, and appear to the natives as ghosts.

2 Likes

Wellā€¦ That escalated extremely quickly!
But I think we could make something of being ghosts, I suppose? Or digital beings?
An immaterial plane with material beings - a matrix? Shamans who live in the spirit realm?

3 Likes

The planet weā€™re supposed to colonise appears to be the one we left, but 4000 years in the future. We didnā€™t have time travelling capacity on our ship.

1 Like

There are no intelligent life forms, but lots of giant statues dominating the horizon.

2 Likes
Which difficulties do we face? Choose as many as you like best
  • This is not the paradise we were promised!
  • Where is the first wave?
  • The plane is not physical!
  • We are not made of matter.
  • We are 4000 years in the future!
  • Giant statues

0 voters

Difficulties

1. There are no intelligent life forms, but lots of giant statues dominating the horizon.

2. Many of the colonists were sent here after being convinced this would be paradise, we have few people ready for hard work and harsh living, but many mouths to feed.

Next up, we choose our major and minor characters. Letā€™s start with names and job descriptions and short description of the character concept and how they fit into society.

Scenario Suggestions

Leader
Visionary / Planner
Scientist
Engineer / Technician
Doctor / Therapist
Philosopher / Thinker
Family Homesteader
True Believer
Rebel
Recluse
ā€œSorry we cameā€
Imposter / Phony

Hereā€™s an example, Iā€™ll put this character in as one of mine if she still fits after everyone else has put theirs forward! Feel free to take her or any aspects of her character, or just make her not fit at all - one of my favourite parts of any rpg is creating new characters, so Iā€™ll gladly make a new one!

Serra the Elder. As the oldest among us, Serra is invited into the council out of tradition and respect. Though she has equal legal standing to any in the council, she is expected to stay quiet, abstain all votes and keep the hot drinks topped up while the experts get on with the business of managing the colony.

Put forward two characters, this will complete a minor character, and itā€™s worth seeing who our full, starting cast is before choosing one to build into a major character with the additional information.

2 Likes

So first off we have Tubby. He likes candy, and he likes computer games, and he has a skateboard that he carries around so he can stand next to other kids who he thinks are a bit more cool than himself. His dad does something very important. Something aboutā€¦ Being rich and important. Thatā€™s about all we know about that, but we certainly do know that, and thatā€™s something. Thatā€™s more than Billy can say, cause his dad just cleans toilets all day!

Next we have Rodrigo. He is a janitor, he cleans toilets, among other things. Some very important people sit on those toilets, but he doesnā€™t care; friends and family are what really matters. Heā€™s working overtime now to get Benito, who they call Billy, through the best school around. Maybe the next generation will have it easier, but at least theyā€™ll always have each other.

4 Likes

(So weā€™re creating two minor characters each, correct?)

Masigonde is ostensibly the Marshal, though he rarely interferes with anything petty or domestic. When he does, even the rumour of the giant-sized manā€™s approach quickly puts an end to any altercations. However, he is much more concerned about the safety of the group as a whole, and has the authority to form and train militias in time of need. He is quite secretive about his former life, and yet knows everyone elseā€™s personal files quite well - a source of irritation for some. He seems to have insight and proficiency in a great diversity of jobs and hobbies - which leads some to believe him extremely well read, and others to postulate that he is actually very old. Neither explanation has enough evidence to verify.

Ganza is a resourceful and talented chef, and seems to be calm and jovial through any hardship. As colony provisioner, he makes the best of a bad thing every single day, and puts up with a good percentage of the colonyā€™s most irrational grousing. Heā€™s friendly with everyone, though heā€™s probably too busy to have many truly close friends. Masigonde is one of those, though they do spend a lot of time trading insults in their native tongues. It should be noted that they do not share a native tongue, and their insults make no sense to each other, or to anyone else. Ganza is also partially responsible for kids like Tubby remaining tubby, as he will gladly give snacks to those presumptuous enough to slip into the kitchen to ask for them.

3 Likes

(Correct! Then after we have all characters created we will choose one each to become our major characters and add in the extra information to elevate them)

1 Like

Jock is an out of place hard man. He was a king in school; captain of the football (soccer team), dating the prettiest girl. He didnā€™t work because he didnā€™t need to, knowledge was for plebs. As heā€™s got older the football glory has diminished, his wife left him and his kids donā€™t want to know him. Now heā€™s mid 40s, angry and with nothing left for him at home. Heā€™s tough, handy with his fists and not scared of anything (for better or worse).

Muriel is 85 years old. She has given money to every tele-vangelist out there and has seen the end of the world not come 14 times. She is loaded after out living 4 separate husbands. She has no place on this mission, but her funding comes in useful. This is the one, the end of the world is nigh and she wanted to see a new one. She believes

2 Likes

Carrie is eight year old, and does not talk much. She learned to keep quiet since she became old enough to understand that she was regarded as the fifth reincarnation of The All Mighty Eyes, as it was explained to her on her fifth birthday. She does not know what that really means, but a small and very vocal group seem to really care, and everything she says has had some kind of repercussion before. So now, she tries really hard to keep quiet, and spend her days looking through her shielded windows at other kids, wondering how their life is.

Magda is a teacher, and has the most extensive book collection of the whole community. Having to sort all of those to only keep two trunk full of them on her voyage was the hardest decision of her life, and she is still thinking she chose wrong. Hopefully, someone back home will still be reading the one left behind. For now, she has the difficult task of coming up with a learning system that will be compatible with the new life they are all expecting.

2 Likes

A quiet note here that people do die in this game. If you donā€™t want to deal with themes of children dying, say so or send me a PM and Iā€™ll ask the kid characters to be rewritten!

2 Likes

Itā€™s always good to say that anything you would be uncomfortable with is worth flagging with your GM.

3 Likes

Yes thank you for that. Okay, so I personally would be uncomfortable with children dying, so I will bump Carrie to a 18 year old ( which I guess is a fine age to die? I donā€™t think so, but I would mind it way less !)

2 Likes