[PbP D&D 5e] Recruitment and Discussion

I’m assuming that secrets need to be secret? I’ve PM’d my secret buddies.

What about likes, do we post them on here?

Could you please post each players handle and character name please? I can remember some but have forgotten others

@Sagantine can probably edit this into the top post.

(De, Human Ranger She/Her)

Just to clarify, is this a secret we should come up with between each pair? Or like, someone tells me a secret and I tell them one back?

1 Like

Yeah, come up with a secret together! Let’s skip the ‘one thing you like’ thing.

For clarity:

@Captbnut has a secret with Moran (he/him) (cokho) and De (she/her) (rossm)

@Cokho has a secret with Salazar (he/him) (captbnut) and Shoo (pronouns?) (gungeon)

@Gungeon has a secret with Moran (he/him) and Poot (he/him) (IssiNoho77)

@IssiNoho77 has a secret with Shoo (gungeon) and De (she/her) (rossm)

@RossM has a secret with Poot (he/him) (issinoho77) and Salazar (he/him) (captbnut)

1 Like

Thread has been created, intro post tomorrow. (sorry for the delays!)

3 Likes

Do we need to share our secrets with you @Sagantine?

1 Like

Yes please!

Have you picked up the secrets from the messages you’ve been copied in to?

Really looking forward to this.

Have you written the whole scenario from scratch? If so, is that something you’ve always done?

1 Like

I’ve gotten the secrets that have been sent!

Yeah, I always do things from scratch. Having the ability to express some creativity is one of the most rewarding part of DMing for me, though it does add extra work.

1 Like

Myself and @RossM RossM have our secret, if you don’t have it yet, I can forward it over?

I’m messaged @Gungeon about ours but not heard back yet.

2 Likes

(Haven’t heard from them in two days. Should be back soon!)

1 Like

Some things I forgot to mention, but are important:

Make sure you’re watching the other thread so you get the relevent updates!

Some roleplaying guidelines I forgot:

1. stick to describing how your character acts and reacts and leave other people’s (and NPCs) reactions to their respective player/the DM. For example: instead of ‘I splash De with water and she is angry’ Just say that you splash water on De, and allow Rossm to choose how De reacts.

2. Don’t be afraid to time skip in one post - ask multiple questions, give a narrative of what you do, etc. The only boundries are when you want to do something where I or another player will need to determine the outcome. Then the roleplaying will need to move to the relevant party to respond before continuing. Basically, you can try literally anything you want to do in D&D, but whether or not it works out is up to the dice (and ultimately me).

2 Likes

I’m on the thread!

No worries if the secrets aren’t finished, they’re just roleplaying hooks

2 Likes

Oops, I completely missed that!

Apologies folks. Been lax checking in. Turns out I’m still furloughed, for the time being at least. Just hoping that doesn’t become the dreaded redundancy! That sucked in 2007/8.

Anyway, good to go!

3 Likes

I didn’t want to interrupt your game thread, but this is an interesting question in general.

Few random thoughts linked to that question.

• Keeping characters poor is one way of creating the incentive to go questing.
  • Characters with money provide potential plot hooks with regards to thieves and the like.
  • Money can open doors with bribes etc.
  • If you are new to any game system, knowing what is useful is hard to guess.
  • The value of money can be quite dependent on the GM and the setting they are running.

My take on the question at hand - 100 gold should get you any simple upgrades in equipment and any odd items that the kits don’t provide. If you are content with your gear, it is worth stashing the cash for opportunities to get special items and as a fall back if plans go awry.

2 Likes

@Captbnut
Here are some answers! They may not apply to games run by someone else:

In my campaigns I play it less gamey and more roleplay. Thus, you can almost always find somewhere to spend your money, just like in an actual city or town. Indeed you can probably buy the clothes from someone’s back if you’ve got enough money, or are persuasive enough. In a large city finding a vendor for most items is trivial, in a smaller town specialty goods are rare or impossible to get. For special magic items or superior craftsmanship, you will need to find specific NPCs who deal in such things.

Treasure is a classic trope of old school RPGs, and Dungeons and Dragons is no different. I try to give out gold relatively liberally in 5e, as I like making custom items, and I want players to purchase them. While the greater motivator for your characters in this case is Shikka’s esteem and advancement within her court, a reward is certainly awaiting your characters at mission end. You can expect monetary or items of monetary value as a reward for most quests, though I may not have an NPC specifically hand them to your characters. If you are curious about the specific reward from Shikka, you may ask her!

It does depend on what kind of campaign someone is running. If we were going to do perpetual dungeon crawls, then spending as much as possible for every available advantage would be advised. For something more story heavy, some flexibility with money is a good idea.

Well, even in my campaign - if it ever seems like something life or death is imminent, I suggest spending all your money on advantageous tools/weapons/allies.

Thanks.

Really interesting. I’m think I’m happy with what I’ve got for now

1 Like

Will update the adventure soon! Working on some sketches.

3 Likes

@Captbnut asked for a die roll:
Practice!

d20: 16

1 Like