[PbP] - Brass Lancashire: Discussion

Now my understanding of the rules are tangential at best, but the market does seem stronger in mechanic than theme.

It would be pretty easy to frame it as you suggest though, with distant markets being other parts of britain and the ports being a contact in scandewega or whatever.

Maybe when you sell it to a port it’s less selling and more throwing it in the ocean to reclaim land (and then sell the new land for sweet dosh). I feel like I’d need several games to get to grips with what it’s trying to portray here.

Well, I did a bit of reading, and this is the whole American slave labour, Britain colonial empire and industrial revolution overturning India’s superiority in the cotton market over the period of a generation or two, so my domestic market theory is probably off the mark. We’re talking about starting off importing cotton clothes from India and ending up with 42% of all British exports being cotton goods, so the scale is huge.

The end of the game is presumably the American Civil War blockading cotton imports and the industry dying in 6 months or so.

2 Likes

Interesting how the rulebook is all about individuals and their inventions and accomplishments. I know it may sound naive, but I didn’t even make the connection with the slave trade until I read up on it. Slaves, cotton, and colonialism are inextricable from the industrial revolution. Raw cotton imports were overwhelmingly from America, and exports of cotton goods to India only worked because colonial rule enabled dictation of terms and cultural trends.

The only hint of ugliness in the rules seems to be one passage: “Many of Tinsley’s employees
were women and young girls, and she
fought against government efforts to restrict
women, and girls under 14, from working
in the nail and chainmaking industries…”

Yeah, woo child labour.

3 Likes

We Brits do like to glorify our heroes!!

2 Likes

And our villains.

You know a game is scratching a good itch when your checking in frequently to pull off that next move that’s in your head.

Although I am awaiting the sudden you can’t do that moment that’s going to crush my hopes.

1 Like

I think it’s you again isn’t it?

1 Like

Yup part of my master plan.

Was going to give whistlepig a chance to catch up.

2 Likes

I’ll do a board update after work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s what I thought!

1 Like

No rush. Just having fun.

2 Likes

There is a one-to-one port rule, but you can also access Liverpool so you can still sell both.

Not linked to Liverpool, surely?

I think Geebizzle’s best bet is to flip Ellesmere, and gamble on the distant market, again through Ellesmere. Need to specify which mill is guaranteed to flip.

Actually if the maps right there is a canal to Liverpool from elesmere.

1 Like

Totally missed that, thanks =)

2 Likes

Has anyone been validated on orderofthehammer yet?

Question: Can I flip an Iron Work at the same I overwork it to upgrade it to another level? Or is it a separate action?

The Oldham coal is gone, or you would have to use it because it is closer. As it is, you use the coal from Rochdale.

Iron is flipped when all the iron is used. As it is, you use 3 of the 4 iron to fill the market, netting 4 quid, and one is still on the foundry, so it is not yet flipped.

1 Like

Oops, I had not seen that one coal in Oldham gone, fair enough.

Started reviewing the game, and it looks like @Whistle_Pig took £10 away from @GeeBizzle in Turn 2? Geebizzle spent 12, then 3, then took a loan for 30, lost 3 from debt, so should have been on 42, but only had 32, and has been £10 short ever since.

1 Like

That’s fine it doesn’t impact my decisions at all. There are a lot of virtual moving pieces.

1 Like