“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

Are you still the same person from 20 years ago? :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I once had a contagious hardware failure. Machine A isn’t working. Borrow a CPU from machine B. Still not working. Put B’s CPU back in B, now that’s not working. Put a new CPU in B, still not working. At this point I stopped.

A friend of mine managed a >100% warranty return rate on a batch of hard drives. Early WD Greens, and even the replacements were failing well within the original warranty period.

See also the splendid Greg Egan short story “Learning To Be Me”. publication reference

5 Likes

There was apparently a question on Only Connect the other day where the clues were Ship of Theseus, The Sugababes, George Washington’s Axe, Trigger’s Broom.

(Personally, I would’ve included Napalm Death.)

5 Likes

But not Poland - it comes close, but it turns out AIUI that whenever there has been a Poland at all it has included Kraków.

5 Likes

Not quite true… different organs and tissues regenerate at different rates, and neurones very rarely, some never. Your blood isn’t more than 4 months old, and your brain has cells you had as a foetus.

But it is true that all the molecules -within- those cells have recycled many many times. We’re all Ships of Theseus from a certain point of view.

5 Likes

I’ve just had to update the Lego firmware so my son and friend can play with it.

Update. Lego.

We are in the future and I don’t want to be in it

7 Likes

10 Likes

Poster from Kiev Book Fair 2023, apparently:

11 Likes

My wife is on a plane waiting to take off, and I have better information about where it is and what else is around (via adsbexchange) than she does.

7 Likes

All right I’ll stop yattering on, but I did like this.

6 Likes

+1

(I immediately force-pushed to the main branch of our repo)

→ and sent this to everyone else I know who might know what git is :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Can you earn Procrastinator multiple times? Asking for a friend (who is me. I’m the friend.)

3 Likes

I know some people who have more than earned that “works on my machine” one…

8 Likes

Why do these things happen in my head. This just played out in my mind for no reason

Gameshow Host: Do you have a favorite food?

Guest: Yes.

Gameshow Host: What is it?

Guest: The food you would choose over all other foods if given the choice.

Gameshow Host: And what is yours?

Guest: A possessive pronoun.

Gameshow Host: Alright, it’s time for a commercial break.

Guest: Between 2 and 3 minutes.

5 Likes

Instantly reminded of this:

4 Likes

Shower thought:

We should put extra barcodes on products that are just jokes in binary. That way when AI-driven replicants infiltrate society, we’ll be able to catch them when they chuckle at barcodes

7 Likes

That will also get people with barcode decoder apps on their smart glasses, but they’ll probably deserve it.

8 Likes

I gave it some more thought and I think it would actually just lead us to have only replicants with no sense of humor; all the fun-loving, easy-going ones would get caught.

7 Likes

Today I piled up all the garbage that had accumulated in our house since 2014 into the garage and contacted some garbage removal people to come and give me a quote for it.

So much junk. So, so much junk.

I just hope the quote isn’t crazy. I am super broke, but I also really need all this garbage out of our house.

Stay posted for the thrilling conclusion!

EDIT: The thrilling conclusion!

$350 plus tax. Acceptable. Couldn’t take our excess paint or my empty spray cans, though, so still need to make one trip to the dump.

10 Likes

I’ve realised how much of a clutter hound I can be by the way I enlarged your photo and had a look at what you had. You’re not even in this continent and apparently I felt I had to check out if you had anything useful in your junk…

6 Likes