“Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

Hey peeps I have taken the liberty of moving all that reddit and mastodon discussion to a dedicated thread :slight_smile: To a) preserve it and b) encourage further discussion.

10 Likes

A neighbor posted some shelves on our neighbor bulletin board site, so I went over to take a look. Nice shelves… not great, but better than what you find at IKEA or big box stores. I bought the set of three for $75.

But then they threw in a 70" TV. Was not expecting that. Hopefully it’s a decent TV and I can put it on the wall in the basement, because otherwise I have no idea what I’m going to do with it. It’s 10 years old based on the product number, but it seemed to be well-regarded by critics at the time.

Also, it has a glass panel, so it weighs nearly 100lbs (~45kg). Quite a beast to move.

6 Likes

Probably why they foisted it on you….

4 Likes

Sliced N Diced in Birmingham is for sale! You could own a board game café for a mere £50,000!

But… SLICED N DICED LTD overview - Find and update company information - GOV.UK y/e July 2022 the business had a net value of minus 14 grand.

5 Likes

By Silicon Valley accounting that’s a substantial profit.

5 Likes

Only if you’re trying to bring in a second round of venture capitalists, because owing the first lot your kidneys wasn’t exciting enough for you.

4 Likes

if you end up owing them your kidneys, you’re doing it wrong. It’s supposed to be someone unimportant’s kidneys. Like your mother, maybe.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Non U.K. people.

Have you got a phrase in your language/ country to describe an item that is very old and reliable, but has in its lifetime had all of its parts replaced, so technically it is no longer the same item?

3 Likes

I think Japanese just has the terms of philosophical origin (that probably aren’t known by anyone who didn’t take the relevant philosophy course): Theseus’ ship, Heraclitus’ river, and a similar thing to Heraclitus’ river by 鴨長明.

I hadn’t heard of Jeannot’s knife, “the family knife”, Lajos Kossuth’s pocket knife, grandfather’s axe, or Trigger’s broom before I started looking for an answer to your question, and I don’t think there’s a direct equivalent in Japanese (other than the river mentioned above).

4 Likes

I’m intrigued - is there a particular object that has generated this Ship of Thesus question?

3 Likes

I’ve only known this as “grandfather’s axe” and “Theseus’s Ship”.

Though I once did have a computer that exhibited a certain hardware bug despite each of its components being replaced

4 Likes

UK person here but thank you for reminding me of “Trigger’s broom”.

5 Likes

I just had to get my sales team involved to replace an 18 month old server that had every field replaceable part replaced, some twice. (The comprehensive list of parts not replaced: serial number and Nic MAC addresses).

4 Likes

I’ve decided: I’m bringing popped collars back.

2 Likes

can‘t think of a specific word. But I can always make one for you:

altlastenbefreit (somewhat made up)

• Alt = old
  • Last, pl: Lasten = burden
  • befreit = freed (from)

actual words that suggest that something has been „fixed“ with new parts in major ways: generalüberholt (f.e. cars), komplettsaniert (f.e. the house when we are done with it)

ps: My partner asked when I described your question „ah like Theseus ship?“

6 Likes

If you want to give yourself some nasty existential dread, apply this concept to human consciousness.

6 Likes

Actually my sister explained to her son recently that all cells in a human body get replaced every 7 years (I have no idea if the time frame is correct) and so because he was 11 no part of his had come directly from her. And so he said „but if brain cells get replaced, people have a big problem with Alzheimer‘s“

I think then he went back to playing Zelda.

6 Likes

Sounds convincingly Jungian.

3 Likes

Thanks all. Trigger’s broom has come up in conversation three times this week with different people, and I was sure there were other versions out there.

You forget how phrases become part of a specific culture, see also ‘handles for forks’ and ‘I’m playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.”

10 Likes