Oath PBF - My Kingdom for a Horse

Attack pool: 7 dice, attack roll: 9 + 3 skulls.
Defence pool: 4 dice, defence roll: 6 + 4 warbands.
2 more attackers lost to win, leaving just 2 warbands left.
2 defending warbands killed, 2 retreat.
2 favor burnt.

@GeeBizzle to choose where to banish the Chancellor, and how to distribute the 2 warbands across the 2 sites. Zero supply left, but Spirit Snare is a minor action you might be able to take (Arcane is the only suit with favor left).

Send the chancellor to the great slum.

1 warband to each site.

Use a secret on the spirit snare to take the last favour.

Then rest.

@Whistle_Pig to review your shattered empire

Pay 2 supply to search the Hinterland discard pile.

1 Like

Play Keep to the great slum

Pay 2 supply to campaign against the bandits using 2 warbands

Defence pool: 1 die. Defence roll: 0 + 1 brigand.
Attack pool: 2 dice. Attack roll: 1.
1 Warband sacrificed to win.
I assume the 1 remaining warband is used to take control of the Great Slum, and the keep is subsequently played, gaining a Secret due to Book of Records.

Not much else to do but Rest. :sleeping:

You could Recover the Darkest Secret? But yes, time to take a well-deserved break in your new Keep.

@Lordof1 You have successfully led the people to rebel against the old order, the former Chancellor banished to the Slums by another last-minute convert. Will you offer citizenship to @GeeBizzle as promised? Or even to @COMaestro? This defines who can start as a Citizen next game, and which Sites and denizens are preserved.

You also have the choice of main suit to add to the World deck: Nomad or Arcane? Which suit are you aligned with (or which adviser has your ear - the Alchemist who funded your campaign, or the Faithful Friend who brought the Conspiracy into the fold)?

Suits

Nomad: The sun, the moon—those traveling bodies. Care for one’s own. Wind, rain, and snow. Parched throats and gurgling bellies.
Arcane: Bright lights in the night sky. Starry-eyed discovery and esoteric tradition. Sights not to be seen, sounds not to be heard. Fulminating, fuming, free.

This is also your chance to write history, as victors tend to, if you are so inclined.

4 Likes

As he settles down into the surprisingly uncomfortable Chancellor’s chair, red beams a sharp and toothsome grin to the assembled cheering crowd. All those warbands, all that fighting over land and precious baubles - even The Wild Lord, often thought of as naive in the ways of civilisation - knew none of it mattered at all next to the only fight in the realm worth having: the fight for the favour of the people.

The cheering intensifies as Red waves a hand, and the old Chancellor is marched from the room into exile and shame. The Wild Lord watches the crowd jeering and baying as the old Lord leaves with as much dignity as he could muster, and it crosses The Wild Lord’s mind how it may feel if he ever found himself at the mercy of the people.

With good judgement, and good luck, that day will be long delayed.

He yawns as the High Seneschal, droning from the old Book of Records in a manner that the old fool obviously thinks was portentous, approaches with the scepter. The Wild Lord, never patient at the best of times, plucks it from the old man’s hands, and unsubtly points it at The Yellow Lord. Red keeps his promises. At least, when they suit him.

Perched on the chair above The Wild Lord’s head, his Faithful Friend caws at the gathered crowd, flanked by its interpreters; a symbol of its new-found status.

Confirm citizenship offer to @Geebizzle
Add Nomad to the deck

4 Likes

I’ll graciously accept a place in your future empire.

If I’m right that does mean a lot of the existing map Which is now yours, carries over.

2 Likes

OK, here’s how things look as we wrap up this game:

The new oath is the oath of the people, so the next game will be won by the holder of the People’s Favor.

Yellow is now a Citizen, with the succession win condition of holding the Darkest Secret.

The new Cradle is the Lush Coast, welcoming new denizens to the Chancellors lands. Four other sites are also still part of the newly-drawn borders.

The Hinterland sites were dealt randomly, and the Wastes made a reappearance (or are they different Wastes?)

6 denizens were dispossessed, and will no longer appear in this game. Only the Faithful Friend, the Alchemist, and the denizens on the map were protected from this fate (the Faithful Friend and Alchemist will go back to the world deck, just depicted as advisers here to make this point).

3 Nomad, 2 Discord, and 1 Arcane denizen were added to the World deck.

The 3 relics that remained in the reliquary, remain in the reliquary.

The new Chancellor rules peacefully for a time, but after a generation or so, the stability of the empire begins to decline, the people become fickle and other demagogues look to win their favour…

2 Likes

A new time of crisis begins, and 3 new challengers arise as the Chancellor’s hold on the People’s Favor looks shaky.

Technically, you would each choose your colour in seating order after I randomised seating, but I figured there was no harm in skipping that and maintaining colour continuity.

First decision, in seating order, please choose where you will start:
@Whistle_Pig
@yashima
@COMaestro
@GeeBizzle

After you make this choice, I will send you your starting “search”. 3 cards, select 1 to keep as a face-down adviser, and specify the order in which the other 2 are discarded.

1 Like

I’ll start at the salt flats

1 Like

I’ll go with the Wastes then

1 Like

The Blue Cyclops has been seen wandering the Rocky Coast

2 Likes

The many yellow arms were last seen embracing the buried giant.

1 Like

@Lordof1 to start us off

1 Like

Very sorry about the delay.

Wake phase - add a favour to The People’s Favour

Action phase - peek at the relics in my wonderful reliquary.
Search the world deck for 2 supply

2 Likes

A vision is the second card drawn - it is discarded to the Provinces, and the other card taken as a face down adviser.

Searching the world deck now costs 3 supply.

@Lordof1 to continue.

Muster for 1 supply (favour on Forest Paths)
Discard Forest Paths and place a secret on Taming Charm to gain 2 favour from beast.
Search the deck again for 3 supply this time.