I’m moving Key Market 2e.
Due to Keyflower, at some point I wanted to find more of Breese’s games.
Wins so far: Key Flow*, The Glade, Reef Encounter
Duds or Declines: Key Market, Keyper (still waffling), Keydom (three editions), Key Harvest, Populate the Earth.
I’ve discovered a few things:
- Breese is very innovative. Keydom is argued as the first worker placement game - though the model wasn’t fully settled there. Key Market has a lot of great ideas (though it was co-designed).
- Breese rarely fully closes the deal. Others take his ideas, polish and package them better, and make a better game. Which is still respect to Breese, but you just have to leverage his strengths.
- Keyflower was co-designed by Bleasedale… and that may be the difference.
Bleasedale also designed On the Underground, which I’ve fallen in love with. And Black Fleet, which I haven’t played but looks quite good. Better together - Breese brings the original ideas and Bleasedale brings a Knizian focus and simplification to close the deal. You get Keyflower.
Here’s the deal with Key Market - you’ve got an interesting market with variable pricing, a fighty set of shared fields that everyone is trying to produce on, and a set of guilds that grant players asymmetric bonuses. Great on paper. In practice, the fight on the fields seems a bit scripted, the market isn’t volatile enough to be fascinating, and the guild developments don’t hook me.
For area control + tech tree - that’s Beyond the Sun. Tip the hat to Key Market for breaking some ground.
For developing farm production on a shared map with a volatile market and tight economy - that’s Clans of Caledonia. Another nod, though.
And lastly, for a good money = points game where you are trying to cover expenses, invest in growth, and actually win all at the same time (eating your chair as you try to sit in it, if you will) - I’ve got Nations, Carnegie, Pipeline, and La Granja that do that so well.
Which leaves Key Market as something of a museum piece. Great to experience, a valuable footnote, but not an object for the shelf.
*Key Flow, of course, also being a Bleasedale and inheriting most of what Keyflower already accomplished.