Last Game you sold! (Volume 2)

Im trying to get rid of my copy of Settlers of Catan as havent played it in years. But I cant seem to find a version that matches the picture on BGG so I can say which edition it is. Any help?

Is it not this one?

2 Likes

Yes it is but when I searched, that cover didnt seem to come up! Dont know what I was doing then!

1 Like

I’m officially terrible at culling my collection, but today I sold:

• Cosmic Encounter and the three expansions I (stupidly) had for it.
  • The Fox in the Forest Duet

and I’m hoping that a handful of other things will go tomorrow.

(I might come away from the weekend with 8 boxes gone and only 1 added, but we’ll see what tomorrow does to both of those numbers…)

Cosmic Encounter was one of my early board games acquisitions, and IIRC I picked up two of those expansions at the same time as the base game, and the third followed before I’d realised that it had all been a mistake (which is ludicrous). The problem was that people loved Cosmic Encounter and made it sound like The Best Time, and it topped lots of people’s lists of favourites despite being an old design which obvious meant it was a stone-cold classic. Surely I needed that in my collection? (Well… the problem was that I was dumb*; but the other stuff was a factor too…)

As I would also come to learn about its close relatives Bluffing and Social Deduction, ‘Negotiation’ turned out to not be something I particularly enjoy in a game. I fully understand why some people love C.E., but I should have sold it years ago… I think I just had a bit of sunk-cost fallacy happening wrt all those expansions!

(*) Or more kindly, way too optimistic about the certainty of enjoying the same things as other people.

4 Likes

I got up to (at the time) all six expansions, and some 3d-printed custom storage, before I realised that I’d barely got it off the shelf. I think it can be great fun, but not at all reliably.

3 Likes

8 gone and 2 added1.

Most of the things I sold were small, so the two new boxes might comprise a similar/larger volume to the seven removed, but oh well :‍)

As well as the Cosmic Encounter collection (4 of the 8 boxes), and Fox in the Forest Duet, today I sold:

• Maelstrom – bought on a whim, never played, and decided that was never going to change.
  • The Resistance: Avalon – played it a bunch, years ago, but only ever someone else’s copy.
  • The Maiden in the Forest – thoughts on this in Button Shy's Wallet Games - #11 by Phil.

The last one is a Button Shy wallet game, so that’s not gaining me back any shelf space :‍)

1 It honestly would have remained at one new game, but…

I also miscounted before, so I still came home with one thing unsold, but it’s Orchard: A 9 Card Solitaire Game which is another a tiny box (if not quite as tiny as a wallet game – there are a bunch of dice in there as well.)

Edit: I forgot; I did buy another thing: Wibbell++ which is a custom deck of cards in a regular card-sized box. Each card has two letters on it, plus a border (which is related to the letter distributions), and it’s basically a system for word games. I don’t know if they’re any good, but it was nice and cheap and it seemed like it might be a fun thing to experiment with.

5 Likes

What’s gone out?

Quest for El Dorado (Ravensburger). I’m going to sell games to make money to buy the other version.

Marrakech. Throwing down rugs is fun, the roll and move isn’t for me

Beyond the Sun. This game is great, probably would never say no to a game but I’ve gotta make choices right?

Going onto eBay

QfED: Heroes and Hexes Knizia’s first expansion, useless without the base game to play it

Double feature! Take 5 and Take a Number, the card quality is shocking and X-Nimmt is perfectly playable with my better cards in 6 Nimmt. Which make the choice to have two complete decks in this of 1-100 even more weird. When 7 extra cards would do.

Klask I have a work copy and home copy, pointless now neither are being played much.

Feel free to make an offer on any of these, apart from Take 5, I can’t sell it in good conscience to any of you.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of Wibbell++ - I often don’t get on with Bez’s approach to game design, but the system works nicely for me even if I don’t actually play it all that much. Definitely a game I show to relatively-non-gamers to make it clear that it’s not all super-complicated stuff.

4 Likes

El Grande: Decennial has sold. In preparation for the new edition.

4 Likes

Sold Heat Pedal to the Metal, which made my mate pretty happy. It’s not that it’s a bad game, but nothing amazing, so I figured I’d sell it while people wanted it.

And when he came over to pick up the game, I managed to sell him Obsession, Castle Ravenloft, and Chimera Station. Winning!

12 Likes

That’s action efficiency.

You gotta keep that sell card until you can do multiple sales in one turn

6 Likes

Sakura Arms, Level 99 edition, with kickstarter extra cards. Not that I hate it, and some of the gameplay elements are fascinating, but I’m basically never going to take the time to get into it when I already have Ashes and Netrunner (which, frankly, I’m not embarrassed to show to my friends).

6 Likes

Sold Tapestry, which I’ve had for quite a while now. I’m still procrastinating about selling about 30 odd games, I have the list done. But a guy on FB was asking about Tapestry, so couldn’t ignore that. And he lives in the next suburb so easy sale.

9 Likes

Sold about 16 games, which isn’t too bad (although I put up over 50 games…). Maybe more sales will trickle in…

7 Likes

£75 in total for shifting these today at a boot fair, including the cut down box of splendor which the woman was very pleased about. She said it would be perfect for her suitcase for her impending trip to Germany :grin:.

9 Likes

Alien Frontiers, with all expansions: gone at Stabcon. One fatal flaw in this game for me: you have no idea at all which dice-placement spots will be available until your turn actually starts. So you can think that you might like to do this or that, but all the hard detail work happens when it’s your turn and everyone else is waiting for you. If one of your players is a bit slow to reach decisions, this makes it really obvious.

5 Likes

I had a post-Christmas sort out of games and selected a few to go. Mostly stuff I liked, but I never ended up choosing to play.

First batch gone to friends (which works nicely, as I’ll still get a chance to play them): Megaland, Crows, Silk, Tikal, and Steam Time.

Still got a few I’m looking to rehome, so I’m gonna make a post on the game cafe discord and see if anyone wants them there.

4 Likes

Sold Ticket to Ride: Play Pink.

Found out it was selling for £20, I like playing Pink but £20 is £20

6 Likes

Sold recently

Die Patin too chaotic, I’d rather play El Grande

Metro, played it and remembered why I sold it first time round

Hollywood Golden Age, It’s fine.

2 Likes

Right culling a few games. Anyone interested here in the following before I put it on FB:

Wavelength -£15

Search for Planet X- £20

Cthulhu wars duel - p&p only.

Wabash cannonball (Rio grande version sealed) - £15

Welcome to plus neoprene Mat and 4 alternative packs (sealed) - £15

Message if you want pics/details.

2 Likes