Last Game you sold! (Volume 2)

Is GeekMarket available outside of the US?
GeekMarket is currently only available within the United States. To place an order you must have a US shipping address and a US payment method.
For international usage, please continue using the classic GeekMarket for now.
Please keep an eye on our roadmap for future availability.

We’re OK for now

Ultimately, I agree a choice of shipping method that suits myself and the buyer would push me to other platforms. eBay offers a choice through their own shipping program and Like Roger I prefer Royal Mail for the vast majority of transactions.

2 Likes

Over here DHL is the easiest and best option to use as a sender. For receiving DPD seems to be the most accurate in their predictions when it will arrive. Hermes is horrible and also seems to treat their drivers the worst. UPS has the worst website. No idea if FedEx even operates here. So I go with DHL. So glad, that ebay Kleinanzeigen is working great. I have never sold a thing on the BGG marketplace (I’ve done a couple of trades would that affect trading?) and I don’t have Facebook and I don’t like putting up stuff on ebay. Too lazy.

1 Like

At least in the UK maths trades, it’s quite common to offer “£x paypal transfer”, and the trader creates a “fake” GeekMarket sale so that BGG get their commission (they did after all provide the place for people to post the list of stuff they wanted to trade). At the least, this means a higher commission rate; if the new market requires an actual payment via a third party, that would probably stop it happening.

1 Like

Sold:

Art Decko wouldn’t say no to a game but I’m not massively enamoured by it. Only purchased as I won an auction (or Pillboxed it.)

Modern Art (CMON) to make way for Modern Art (Oink) as it frees a space on the ‘big box’ shelf. Yes, I eventually came round to that idea

Pan Am Came round to it’s fine, but slightly too easy for the gamer crowd and slightly too obscure for the non-gamer crowd.

Also, not buying 18XX when I felt like it has given me time to reflect and I’m not happy spending around £100 on these games when a gamer buddy owns 20. So they’re off the list. Might get some full size poker chips instead.

4 Likes

Noting here, and possibly of particular note for @Phil, I sold my copy of A Touch of Evil (including The Coast and Hero Pack 1) to my friend today. He had been planning to buy it and I was feeling generous, so I let it go for a song.

Last weekend I tried to play the game with The Coast expansion and realized midway that I’d much rather be playing Fortune and Glory if I was going to be playing a jumbo one-off game of something. At least as a solo player I think the single board experience is plenty for A Touch of Evil and I’ll reinvest at a later time with the old version (and its modest box), and maybe the hero packs.

My comments about the 10th anniversary edition of the game haven’t changed any, but what I want from the game has, so that big cavern had to move out.

3 Likes

Sold Imperium: Legends in protest against the awful rulebook.

3 Likes

Not just me then. (Well, I haven’t bought it yes, though I’m thinking about it, but I have struggled with the rules.)

2 Likes

I get it and if you want to solo… the solo is pretty good, quite unique and horribly explained and a bit on the fiddly side. My guess is that the game is even harder to learn if you only have the legends box as the civs in that one are more complex on average and diverging from standard rules creating more edge cases etc. I am keeping both boxes for now because after learning the solo mode I found the variability that is inherent in that solo system enticing. Not that I have played as much as I have wanted.

I let a couple of real sweeties go today as I continue to knock out games starting to languish and for which I don’t see much of a future. Sheepy Time was the first to go, to a friend in the game group (2 copies among us still!).

The second is a bit of a shocker as I’ve let my Rallyman GT collection go. As I’ve become more accustomed to solo gaming, I’ve found my appetite has developed and I’m favouring either my “morning coffee” quickies or incredulously lavish affairs. There’s no question I could dive deep and push my games of Rallyman well into the latter camp, but I just don’t seem inclined to do so. The online upkeep is too closely associated with the gameplay and it ends up being antithetical to my wont as a (hermit-like, being honest) solitaire gamer.

5 Likes

Heretic, etc. Outrage before breakfast. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to play Heaven and Ale and Meeple Circus if no one else wants them please.

Are these in Cardiff, if so I can save you the postage and collect them

2 Likes

Yeah. You’re just in the nick of time. I was just about to drop them off. I’ll hold those to the side.

3 Likes

Cheers

That looks like Newport Road. Are you still in the area? I’m not far from there

2 Likes

It was. I’m back home now they’re in my car!

I live just near City Road/Albany road

I can PM details if you want!

3 Likes

I’m considering offloading Fury of Dracula, still New in Shrink.

Reasons to Go:

• “Gothic Horror” is not on the list of themes that appeal to my household or larger group. It’s a barrier to entry.
  • That market price right now…
  • For hidden movement, Pandemic On the Brink and Whitehall Mystery aren’t pure subs but do very well
  • For long, storytelling type experiences, TI, Eclipse, Dune, Sidereal Confluence… a lot of games there for me to play instead.

Reasons to Stay:

• That market price… once it’s gone, it’s gone. Who knows when it may come back?
  • It seems like nothing else really does what it does. Hidden Movement AND 1 v many Overlord AND something of a narrative arc. I can get any one of those elsewhere in my collection. Do I need them all in the same box?

All to say, curious what other have decided on this game and if anyone would nudge me one way or the other.

I’m always looking for painless ways to shrink my collection, but when I can do that and also balance my budget it really focuses the decision.

3 Likes

Depends on why you’re keeping it. I kept it for nostalgia like Cosmic. I miiiight end up playing it once a year, but that’s cool with me. Kondo did ask does it sparks joy. It does to me. Now, that depends on you.

2 Likes

I’ve never played it. I grabbed it for $26 just because and have been keeping it for strength of reputation and the “what if this becomes relevant” question. When I have time in my life for 3 hour games again, Sidereal and Eclipse will definitely be first. FoD would be a contender after that.

1 Like

You can always try it on the app (though last time I checked the app was confusing and difficult to play).

FWIW, I donated my copy of 3rd edition (I think it was 3rd) in my first big purge in 2018 and haven’t missed it since then (the only game I actually miss from that purge is Bridges of Shangri-La, meh). As you say there are other hidden movement games and other big event experiences and if it will never see the table and you have no personal nostalgia for it…

We played my copy once: I was Dracula, I killed everyone and they all hated me, said the game had an unfair bias in favor of Dracula. Never got back to the table again.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m about to dive into the app to help me decide. The tutorials are all broken and the graphics are very weird, but it’s better than no exposure at all.

Thanks for sharing your own experience with the game!

2 Likes

Barring a hunter win, you are looking at an, at least, 3 hour long game of Fury of Dracula going into it the first time. With experience, that can probably get cut down to 2.5 hours, maybe 2. Dracula definitely has an advantage against newer players, as the hunters really need to coordinate well in order to track him down, and then actually pen him in once he is discovered.

All that said, I do like FoD, despite rarely getting to play it (my copy has only been used twice, and the first time only got through about one week of play before I had to pack it up and leave). Part of it is nostalgia for the first edition, which I played in high school. But another is that I truly do not have a game that does all that this one can. There are better hidden movement games, as far as it goes with pure deduction, but none that I can think of that offer the thematic trappings of FoD. The blend of hidden movement and combat, with all the traps that Dracula can place in the hunters’ paths, it just blends together in a satisfying way for me.

YMMV.

3 Likes