Last game you DIDN'T buy?

It’s definitely something I would say try before you buy. I love Millennium Blades, but it can be group-dependant

3 Likes

I just resisted buying Railroad Ink Yellow despite picking up Green and already owning Blue and Red.

I know it’s silly, but $20 not spent on RRI is $20 I can put towards editing my next novel, or paying for my last semester of university.

… whee…

8 Likes

Anyway, Tom said green is best.

6 Likes

Currently fighting hard to not buy TTR: Europe because:-

1. I have five maps I hardly play already
  2. Just because I can get it cheap it doesn’t mean I should
  3. I have five maps already
7 Likes

Get TTR: Europe and ditch TTR: Original

4 Likes

Nostalgia keeps it.

That and Carcassonne are my original boardgames.

3 Likes

Just saw that a re-vamped Kingmaker is on KS for about 14 more hours. I played this game based on the Wars of the Roses back in high school occasionally and have fond memories of it.

However, it is about $73 to back, probably $85ish after shipping costs, for a game that typically takes hours to play, and even with the new Kingmaker II rules, it estimates 45 min + 30 min per player. I expect I would get this, go through the rules and bits, then have it sit on a shelf forever. Even with the included solo mode, I just don’t think I can justify the purchase. It would be based purely on nostalgia.

Passing.

6 Likes

I successfully didn‘t buy Yin Yang for 22€ at Spiel. This was up on my wishlist back when but somehow I never got around to buying it for first 60 and then 50 Euros. Then I saw it at Spiel and… passed.

(Games I would have bought if they had been available, don‘t count, right?)

5 Likes

Yeah, I think so. So Heat at Spiel, which put me off by being sold by Asmodée – which I knew really but hadn’t internalised, but then I saw the huge demo area, and was reminded that they never sell below retail or have any show offers…

I may still buy it but every time I think about buying an Asmodée game I’m reminded that I have lots of games already and it can wait a bit.

4 Likes

I played this quite a bit as a youngster as well, loved it but it was a bit flaky even then. I’d need to be sure it was much improved in game play.

4 Likes

Didn’t buy it because I have 0 interest in the IP, but I saw the World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Pandemic system game at Target on clearance for $17.99, normally $59.99.

However, this has me potentially delaying a purchase of Star Wars: the Clone Wars Pandemic system game, as I wonder if I will find it similarly clearanced out in a year or so…

4 Likes

Or it may not be available at all

2 Likes

Nah, those z-man pandemic iterations will be widely available. No FOMO on this thread :wink:
I was at some point convinced I needed WoW-Pandemic (I played WoW for more than 10 years) and then I watched a video review/play and was cured. I have a lot of WoW Nostalgia… but a Pandemic iteration cannot fix that.

In any case, there are some good Star Wars games out there and I am reaonably sure that @COMaestro is not a completionist…

9 Likes

I think it was when all the licenced Love Letter adaptations were coming out that I finally realised: the target market is not “I want everything Love Letter” but rather “I want everything Batman”. I’m old enough to remember 1980s licenced video games and how bad they mostly were, so I start from a position of cynicism, though some tie-in games are pretty good.

5 Likes

No, but I may need all the Pandemic games?

Well, obviously not, as I did not get the WoW version yesterday, but I do seem to own most of them.

5 Likes

Hundreds. For some reason the Buy/sell page on Facebook here in NZ is on fire lately. I have see plenty of games I would fancy, but I am done for the year. Specially with Tindaya on the way, and 3 crowdfunding games still to be played (namely Northgard: Uncharted Lands, Endless Winter: Paleoamericans and Tiny Epic Dungeons)

3 Likes

Dungeon of the Mad Mage, from the line of “D&D adventure system” boardgames. I have Castle Ravenloft and I decided a while back that if I got another it would be the Mad Mage; but I had a chance to pick it up at a good price on the weekend, and I couldn’t quite bring myself to do it. Honestly, I could just play Ravenloft, and I have too many unplayed games to justify another version (in another large box) of something I already have, even if it’s an improvement over that predecessor.

7 Likes

I haven’t bought Mini Rails after seeing @lalunaverde’s geek comment on it

I also haven’t bought Mini Rails

Mainly as I will buy Dinosaur Gauge

5 Likes

The only game I recently didn’t buy was GF9 Aliens; now out of stock, which saves me from the temptation with Christmas coming up.

5 Likes

New York City - Rialto is one of the few Feld games I still don’t have in my collection, but there is no chance that I’m going to pay one hundred freaking dollars for this light weight, component light, half-assed remake. Even for Queen games that pricing is egregious.

8 Likes