Last game you bought?

If it helps to narrow down its temperature, BGG is telling me that Heat is slightly hotter than Endless Winter, but not as hot as Stalingrad.

10 Likes

I must say I am pleasantly shocked by the good reception of Heat. Everything about it smelled average (a reiteration of a game that was divisive, days of wonder past their peak, a theme that is hardly original) but they really seem to have resonated with this one and Iā€™m delighted for it, in particular days of wonder who did need a hit imo.

6 Likes

Seeing how much of a hit Heat was at Spill-O-Rama and hearing the buzz here I also felt pleased for Days of Wonder. Days of Wonder games can be such a wonderful entry point to the hobby that can really last and be more than just a gateway. Having them firing in all cylinders is great for the hobby in general Iā€™d guess. I also like that this is a non fantasy theme, that gives more options. Between Smallworld, TTR and Heat there are a lot of bases covered.

6 Likes

Hopefully Iā€™ll like it, didnā€™t particularly like Flamme Rouge - I know, Iā€™m in a minority there. Only played it once tho (not my copy)

5 Likes

It might be that two player is a duff mode in Flamme Rouge but it was a clunker for us too.

5 Likes

Well, dropped some money on the new Cthulhu:Death May Die. Probably more than Iā€™ve spent on any other game. But not too worried, my group (and me!) love DMD, we always have a great time. Iā€™m getting everything, apart from the big Cthulhu (donā€™t need it) and the Unspeakable Box (which I considered, but think I can do without).

And since I was in a buying mood, I preordered Carnegie and Micromacro Crime City All in (even tho my group doesnā€™t seem too keen on it, I donā€™t care, Iā€™ll play it solo).

5 Likes

I have a pile of aboutā€¦ $500 worth of games, books, and models at work waiting for me to have money again (current projections are for sometime in 2027).

Joking aside, I try very hard to not spend money on myself in November and December as I am le poor and so all the money I do have goes to either friends and family or to the staggering array of holiday expenses that seem to form out of the ether. This weekend weā€™re doing a Christkindl Market (loosely based on German holiday markets), which will involve smoked turkey legs, apple fritters, potato latkes, schnitzel, and more sausages than (insert inappropriate comment here)ā€¦ a tradition that weā€™ve been doing with 2 friends from Toronto forā€¦ gosh, ten years now. The last five or six years one of us (me) goes to the market, buys all the food and puts in a cooler (in this case for its insulating properties, not to keep things cool), and then we eat it all at home with homemade mulled wine (glu-wine? Gluewine? I donā€™t know how its spelled, but Andy and Dana take it very seriously).

Itā€™s a lovely tradition! It costs a fortune. Likeā€¦ a week worth of salary goes into that one dinner (plus copious leftovers and stollen and those horrible spiced licorice cookies that Graham loves and other gifts and snacks).

ANYWAY! Sorry, rambling.

I mention all this because I did spend a little money on a very tiny gameā€¦ Scout! I didnā€™t put it in my ā€œto buy eventuallyā€ pile that I mentioned above and which launched this entire ramble, but purchased it immediately and brought it home. Iā€™ve read the rules, and it is not at all what I expectedā€¦ but it looks great!

Hate the theme, though. Like, wafer thin and totally irrelevant. Pity.

But the game looks great!

6 Likes

Scout, to me at least is Oink Games Oinking at their Oinkiest.

Take a potentially humdrum mechanism (climbing game), add a wrinkle (scouting to steal a card) and put it in a tiny box.

2 Likes

GlĆ¼hwein. (GlĆ¼hen - smolder & glow both translate to glĆ¼hen, Wein = wine)

This is the whole reason for the existence of WeihnachtsmƤrkte (or ChristkindlesmƤrkte, the Ƥ comes in with the plural, sorry about that).

No it is not just the wineā€¦ (usually red but recently also white wine with some Christmas spices, orange juice and maybe extra sugar so it goes to your head even faster)

The food we have at the markets include:

• Sauerkraut mit Schupfnudeln
  • Bratwurst
  • Langos (Hungarian but who cares, weā€™ve assimilated this for the purposes of street-food)
  • possibly some other grilled meatā€¦
7 Likes

Bought ā€œFor Against The Great Old Onesā€, which is of course a Lovecraftian game. With no board or pieces, you just get a rulebook and provide your own dice, pen, and paper. I have the earlier game ā€œFour Against Darknessā€, which seemed like more of a traditional D&D styled bash.

2 Likes

My BGG secret Santa gift arrived today and I have no patience

A very generous Santa! Now does anyone have a copy of base Concordia that they want to sell me? :laughing:

15 Likes

Black Friday struck again, along with things I donā€™t really need.
Ginkgopolis: This has long been a game where Iā€™ve been plugging my ears going LALALA because it seems like I would like it but my shelves are full. @Captbnut recently delved into it so I delved too and hey itā€™s back in print. Played several rounds on BGA in anticipation and yep itā€™s pure me.

Bohnanza: This now edges out Modern Art for ā€œgame I held out the longest not buying but then bought.ā€ Friends told me about this when it was new and I JUST KEEP HEARING ABOUT IT for year after year after year. SU&SD plugged it so I finally grabbed it.

Spirecrest: I bought this thinking Iā€™d need it to get to free shipping. Nope, but yep, itā€™s mine. I did like Everdell and suspect my family will too.

War of the Ring The Card Game: This will go nicely next to my never-played copy of War of the Ring from Circa 2000. As someone who has read Tolkienā€™s drafts and unfinished works and regularly complains that movie-theoden is the wrong age and named his children (loosely) after Middle Earth flora this kind of had to happen so Imma just going to buy and store it somewhere where I can look at it wistfully.

7 Likes

Permanently on the didnā€™t buy pile because of the art. Iā€™m shallow and I know it

8 Likes

I bought Dinosaur Gauge - boy, it was expensive as ffff. I am now reluctant on buying any more Hollandspiele titles after this. I only proceed with the purchase because it has a stupid theme. Yes. It has a stomp market! The Siege of Mantua sounds enticing but being a 2 player doesnā€™t cut it when Napoleonā€™s Triumph and other 2 players games are within my reach.

Bought Neon Gods for a fiver. I heard itā€™s **** even to those who enjoyed City of Remnants, but Iā€™m not gonna cry over a fiver to try out one of Plaid Hat Games.

Tinderblox - I believe it was @raged_norm who enjoyed this one

Tribune: Primus Inter Pares - itā€™s the older edition for 12 quid. No need to pay stupid price for the kickstarter one.

Rebel Nox - BGG said itā€™s a trick taking game :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

12 Days, a festive trick taker. Saw it linked in a thread on trick taking games, and it wasnā€™t much, soā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah, I got sticker shock from seeing Dinosaur Gauge, even without postage (itā€™s a small detour on my commute to collect) itā€™s very pricey!

I do like Tinderblox, draw a card, stack it, if anything falls off your out. Everything I want in a dexterity game. Junk Art is more ā€˜gameyā€™ for sure

3 Likes

Bought a copy of undaunted Stalingrad from a bookshop for Ā£54. Having never tried any undaunted, maybe Iā€™ve bit off more than I can chew.

8 Likes

Bought Cat in the Box now itā€™s appeared in the UK.

Itā€™s got one of those inserts. Where theyā€™ve tried and made it less functional than a cardboard valley.

7 Likes

I got Terra Nova. OG Guilders seems to be into this as it strips the tracks and all that for a light/medium weight territorial game. Iā€™m sincerely very keen on what it offers. I understood that itā€™s not a Terra nor Gaia. I am hoping that it provides a different appeal.

5 Likes

My copy of Ark Nova arrived 2 days early. so i had to play a solo :innocent:

8 Likes