Last game you bought?

I looked up Star Wars: Epic Duels on BGG to learn a bit more about that (Unmatched being listed as a re-implementation). It’s curious. It sounds like the Star Wars game (released in 2002) was also good, contained a dozen heroes/teams comprising 31 miniatures in that one box, was never expanded, and was discontinued. There was a Transformers-themed version in 2003 with eight characters, and again no expansions. Both of those games had a grid-based maps (with obstacles to move around), which seems like a notable difference to Unmatched; I’m not sure what other differences there might be. It’s interesting how the revised formula with only a handful of heroes per box, but with almost endless expansion potential, seems to be such a hit almost 20 years later. To my mind the lack of a single theme is a big part of the appeal, but it also seems fitting that another big fantasy franchise has now been licensed for the series.

1 Like

Since my wife will be recovering from a tonsillectomy for the actual event, we are semi-celebrating our anniversary this weekend. I got her a concert Blu-ray for her favorite musical artist, and she got me Troyes.

3 Likes

I had Star Wars: Epic Duels. Played it to death for a couple years in college with a few buddies then it mostly sat on a shelf collecting dust for 10 or so years before I finally traded it a couple years before Unmatched was announced. Kinda regret that since Unmatched has taken off, but I had my fun with it and don’t really miss it for itself.

There were definitely lots of teams and battle maps in the box. Han and Chewbacca were my favorite team and I know there were a mix of original and prequel trilogy stuff. I think it came out around the time of the second prequel movie so the maps and teams for the prequels were mostly that one while the original trilogy was more of a mix. I don’t remember all the details as it’s been so long since I really played it.

4 Likes

I very impulsively bought HeroQuest off an EB Games shelf yesterday. I still had a little fun money left from Christmas and hoo boy is that gone. This was mainly bought with family game days in mind, but I found out there’s an app for it, so solo ho!

4 Likes

Got bought these for Xmas:

10 Likes

I picked up my new glasses today and because I was in the city anyway and had to take a walk to finish the New Year’s Event for Pokemongo… I just could not avoid going to FLGS. I have been mulling over Cryo for the past N weeks and after checking my BGG buddy analsis, re-reading the Spacebiff review and listening to the SVWAG episode on it, I went for it. FLGS was incredibly expensive and I almost picked up Ark Nova instead. But I had promised myself to either buy Cryo or nothing at all. At least I had my previous 5€ coupon and directly picked up a new one… their way of giving repeat customers their 10% rebate and keep them coming back.

Had a nice long chat with one of the crew. They are opening a new shop in a neighboring town. Good for them. Seems the pandemic didn’t get them.

They also had set up their picks for Spiel des Jahres 2022 (5 Minute Mystery) and Kennerspiel 2022 (Glow) which I find fascinating and I’ll be sure to check back and see if they are right. I have had Glow on my radar and will be checking up reviews for that one for sure.

I was also quite surprised to see how well stocked they were. They had both the Splotter reprints in stock, quite a few of the big Lacerdas, Ankh Gods of Egypt and a bunch of other games one would have trouble finding online right now. Despite all my complaining about their prices, it makes me happy to see them thriving.

At home I opened up Cryo… and I already have a complaint: tons of unnecessary plastic packaging but no baggies for the components (I have those of course and this game needs an insert for sure but still…)

9 Likes

Added Cryo to my interest list. I’ll check it out in 2023/2024 :rofl:

Ah great. It’s by Z-Man Games…

8 Likes

Late Christmas haul post

7 Likes

Monsdrawsity noice!

Yeah we had a lot of fun with it. Dont know how often it will come out but definitely fun for a few rounds.

Got the kids expansion too. Havent played it with them yet

2 Likes

Dependent on their age we house ruled it that the youngest (5) could keep looking at the card as they described it.

It removed what we saw as one of the few barriers to entry for kids.

2 Likes

I picked up the Orphan character for Shadows of Brimstone this morning while on the continuing hunt for a baby sled (becoming a bit of a saga, and a tragic one). There’s a nifty mechanism at play for this character, which I’m interested in playing with, but notably it’ll give me an alternative to role playing an “Indian Scout” and having them pal around with a preacher. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Botswana arrived, I’m going to make tokens/poker chips to make it more portable.

3 Likes

The fancy bits for dune imperium are nice but gotta love a worm coin.

11 Likes

In my “I’m buying some dumb games” phase I’ve just acquired Martian Dice

6 Likes

Congratulations on taking the critical first step toward true life enrichment! Make sure you check all your dice. I had to get the nail polish out for one of the faces.

4 Likes

I’ll have to defer to my wife for that, I’m sadly lacking a stash of nail polishes

4 Likes

Getting a couple of smaller games, Ilium (a Knizia) and Break the Code (deduction)

And I got on my computer last night when I couldn’t sleep, and bought Ark Nova, which I am hearing nothing but good things about.

3 Likes

Between Christmas gifts and money I’ve had a good haul.
Brass: Birmingham
It’s been on my list for a while, time to see what makes it number 3 ever. I hope it’s not too too heavy but I guess I’ll see.
Imperium: Legends
I’ve heard good things and I’m hoping this one will be a good solo game.
The Castles of Burgundy
Played it at a boardgame cafe and both my partner and I loved it. Excited to play it more and for the excuse to play more games with her.
Fantasy Realms
A bit of a wildcard but I’ve heard of it so hopefully it turns out.
Eternal: Chronicles of the Throne
Used Christmas money for this one. I originally heard of it on the Boardgame Barrage Podcast where they’re doing their top games. Not having heard of it at all it piqued my curiosity, the premise sounds fun so here’s hoping I like it too.

8 Likes

My pre-ordered copy of Caper: Europe (Mastermind edition) was ready for pickup from a FLGS yesterday, and I grabbed Paper Dungeons while I was there. Once again I’m blown away by Keymaster’s card quality, and the production is gorgeous. Perhaps this will be the little tug-of-war duel that sticks?

I’ve already played Paper Dungeons and I’m about to play again. It’s chunky, without being too crunchy. A nice alternative to Fleet Dice.

3 Likes