Last game you bought?

Played it, didnā€™t find it terribly exciting

1 Like

Iā€™ve only had one play but I liked Pulsar alot. The dice drafting with the median factor was exceptional. The problems with it are probably mainly taste based. Itā€™s super euro but as you like euros thatā€™s possibly ok. Itā€™s definitely got a point salad vibe but thatā€™s balanced by other players positions on the boards and the median dice with itā€™s associated tracks. This means all things generate points but your good play makes the difference with options assessing and the efficiency of your actions is a touch interactive plus looking at your current game state for how to maximise.

I also like the enormous circular galaxy central board aesthetically and the pieces that look like glowing sweets. That is very subjective though. I enjoyed Kepler slightly more though. Kepler felt like a less good game but more unique

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been reading more reviews post hoc it sounds like a game that gets better a few rounds in. At first, a few obvious pathways dominate and the game feels narrow, but after a while (or after losing to a veteran) you start to see all the other pathways available to you and the game grows.

Also found a fan-made solo mode on BGG.

Looking forward to find out if itā€™s my cup of tea. Weā€™ll see!

1 Like

Pulsar 2849 looks like the disco that your meeples go to when youā€™re not around.

7 Likes

So Clover, I could not resist. Ok, and Hansa Teutonica: Big Box

6 Likes

Instead of a game our Christmas present to us is boardgame adjacent :slight_smile: We bought us a set of boardgame ceramic poker chips :slight_smile: We were able to choose denominations and so put together a set that makes sense hopefully. These were apparently made for boardgames and so the colors are a bit less garish and the design is simple. Initially, I thought we might look for the Iron Clays from Roxley but 1) they appear to be sold out at the moment and 2) they still have that issue that they included the 10 denomination that makes so little sense. As previously discussed we went with 1ā€“5ā€“20ā€“100ā€“500 (the 20 looked nicer than the 25).

edit: the link above is incorrect:https://discussion.tekeli.li/t/poker-chips-for-boardgames/

6 Likes

Not me, but my mum has procured three copies of Azul for a stonking Ā£10 each.

One to go with the two (!) missing copies in her house, one for me and one for a random BGGer

2 Likes

I think I saw that in a BGG thread. :grinning:

Fake Azul are pretty common, hope yours are genuine.

Itā€™s from an overstock shop with absolutely no online presence, so Iā€™m pretty confident theyā€™re genuine

1 Like

Did your Mum buy that second (now-missing) copy of Azul when the first one went missing? And now the same thing has happened again? Is she sure she wants to give away the extra copies? It sounds like sheā€™s going to need them laterā€¦

4 Likes

Well, yeah that is the concern.

The other working theory is sheā€™s going to tile the bathroom/kitchen

5 Likes

I purchased my (probably?) last game of the yearā€¦ Sleeping Gods. The store I work at received 8 copies for the 12 people we had on the list waiting for one, but by good luck 5 of them had purchased it elsewhere (we received our stock on Monday but the store I work at is insanely busy so I could only find time to make the calls on Friday, at which point people had purchased from other retailers in Southern Ontario).

Iā€™m not complaining: means I came home with a copy!

Iā€™m really excited to get it on the table. My partner liked, but didnā€™t love, Destinies, and Iā€™m hoping the fully co-op nature of Sleeping Gods will mean that she loves this one.

6 Likes

It was my birthday Thursday, and my girls got some money from mum to buy me a present from The Warehouse. So they bought me Cluedo. Which means they bought me a game they wanted to play.

So I have Cluedo and Cluedo Game of Thrones now in my collection.

11 Likes

The Arnak expansion was in stock briefly today, but long enough to order a copy. Look forward to playing this over Xmas.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve traded for a copy of Space Worm, unsure if I want to keep it. So put it up for ā€˜if someone offers me this Iā€™ll sell priceā€™

2 Likes

The chips arrived :slight_smile:
This is only a third of themā€¦ I wish the 5 was blueā€¦ but overall these feel very nice. They have good (somewhat smaller) size and the design is good for a boardgame. Now all i need to do is convince my partner to play FCM with me :slight_smile: Or Iberian Gauge or 18DO ā€¦ hmm Leaving Earth doesnā€™t really have different denominationsā€¦ but ā€¦

16 Likes

Beautiful chips!

2 Likes

I was looking at those on my pokerchip quest. They are nice

3 Likes

I spotted a wild Seal Team Flix today, which had never happened before. Price wasnā€™t bad, either. I had some further good fortune as I brought this monster home on the same day I sold Fireball Island, so mostly a wash in terms of space.

[EDIT] Doubling back today, I hit the same shop and picked up a copy of the revised Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death. I had waited what feels like an eternity to finally nab this (and hopefully the other revised core box soon), as I had heard about the update around the same time I decided one of the Brimstone games would be my entryway to Flying Frog.

I know we have a few FF fans in here, and Iā€™m wondering if they might have a little advice for someone looking to get his feet properly wet. Somewhere along the way I forgot they use proper hard plastic for their minis, which makes me far more likely to paint them and vastly more inclined to pimp out the game. I know Flying Frog likes money and SKUs. Any tips for a few good enhancements, either Swamp/Mine specific or just Brimstone generic?

7 Likes