Last game you bought?

Been hearing nothing but good things for a while, it was just impossible to find in French due to a severe shortage that led to all of Quebec getting less than half the stock they ordered. Looking forward to trying it, all the components are punched and bagged now!

We’ll most likely try Brass Birmingham first, since I’ve already read the sodding manual, but soon!

2 Likes

Just preordered the expansion for Lost Ruins of Arnak because MOAR!!!

Everything about it sounds great; unique starting decks and abilities, new research tracks, more cards for both decks (I believe?). I am the excite!

I expect to be back tomorrow, lol. Boardlandia is starting their site wide sale, I have a gift card from a cancelled order (was too long for a full return because PayPal) and my eyes on something shiny!! :laughing:

3 Likes

It’s my birthday today and my sister has gifted me The Search for Planet X :partying_face:

15 Likes

I saw that the big bad store had a few copies of the Z-Man Edition of Condottiere. Probably the last few unsold copies anywhere. I decided that for some reason I need a game that will not work with my partner. They also had a really really cheap copy of the Menara Expansion Rituals and Ruins–which led to me finding out that Zoch Verlag actually produces most of their games locally (according to themselves) which is a thing I have started to value more and more.

8 Likes

Got Gold Armada by Knizia from eBay. And got Louis XIV on a BGG trade

4 Likes

Broke my “no new Kickstarter/retail game” rule (since Shaman) and bought the new edition of Galaxy Trucker. It has a nice new coat of paint and comes in a Carcassonne size box.

4 Likes

I always like to buy a new party game for Christmas so I bought MonsDRAWsity as it looks right up my family’s street.

4 Likes

I love it. Would advocate allowing kids to play too (although we house rule that the youngest can look at the card when giving descriptions). The results of some of their descriptions are great “it’s got scary eyes, like dad!”.

7 Likes

I got incoming. (package notifications are accumulating this week for reasons entirely NOT due to a recent shopping spree the only thing I bought this week is the Condottiere/Menara Expansion duo).

Should I post yet another embarrassing picture once it has all arrived? I think I will. Until then I shall remain silent and hope for more notifications.

7 Likes

I had to go back - it looks like July 13 was the day I posted I was done with the growing season of my collection, and wondered how long it would last.

Here we are, November 11th, and … 19 purchases later? That works out to more than 1 per week. Boy.

But. But but BUT! In my defense:

Three are expansions. I think we can all agree that The Crew: Mission Deep Sea is an expansion to the first game. Ticket to Ride: Asia has been on my radar for maybe 5 years and just came back into stock, so that can be grandfathered according to section 3.31b of the wishlist articles. And finally I was playing around with Quacks of Quedlinburg and immediately found Herb Witches for a trifling $27; the worse crime would have been passing it over. Regardless, expansions that fit into parent boxes never apply to “no more purchases” pledges.

Also, Silver Amulet (so grossly overpriced in the open market) was free, in trade for another game I also got for free, so that’s more an annexation than a purchase.

Here’s everything else, and who I blame for it:

• Eclipse Second Dawn: This one’s on @pillbox. I’d decided I didn’t need it, but he posted about availability and I happened to be in the middle of reading about galactic scale conflict in a Vernor Vinge novel.
  • Mission: Red Planet: I always wondered which is better, Libertalia or this one. Someone on Reddit had the gall to say M:RP when I already own Libertalia, forcing me to buy it and form my own opinion. Found it local used for $17.
  • Lost Ruins of Arnak: I don’t actually want this one. I’m not sure what happened. It came back into stock and then it was in my house? Has this ever happened to you?
  • Tyrants of the Underdark: This is one I’ve wanted since Paul Dean’s text review. I passed it up at the time due to limited budget and aversion to the theming. I still have a limited budget and aversion to the demon and aberration decks but I think when I couldn’t have it, I reacted like a dog watching another dog carry a stick. Now it’s my stick and I’m running into the creek with it.
  • The King is Dead 2e: This one’s on @Captbnut and @lalunaverde and possibly some others who played it and posted. I’m a whore for role playing games - not RPGs, but games that require you to act and bluff and lie and get inside their head. Circular game theory. I’d never heard about this one - when I did it was a same-day purchase.
  • Red Cathedral: My friend mentioned almost buying it. I had a hold order with free shipping growing. That’s… the whole story. I mean, it’s so SMALL!
  • Orleans: I can’t recall the rabbit trail that led to this. Probably Reddit’s fault again. I thought the Mrs might enjoy it and at a certain point it was easier to buy than to keep thinking about it. Also, Trade & Intrigue because it is reportedly necessary and objectively affordable.

The Coupon Saga
So most of this was happening over on Gamenerdz, and Boardlandia somehow got a whiff of it. They sent me 10% off and begged me to come back to them. I told them no, we had our time together. But then there was TTR: Asia and I realized my sister-in-law would like Wingspan for Christmas. Which meant I needed to complete a full hold order…

• Cascadia: If you think this might have been your fault, it probably is. At some point there was a big flurry about this over on the “Games played” thread. I’m not sure I love it the way the reviews have, but I like a calming puzzle and I can certainly find people to play with. And the coupon.
  • Parks: I couldn’t decide between Cascadia and Parks. I thought I’d like Parks better but YOU ALL liked Cascadia. Again, purchasing both was the empirical pathway and I’m nothing if not Science.

At this point the bastards at Boardlandia told me I’d earned $10 off. I mean, come on…

• Search for Planet X: So here was the plan. I have Cryptid. My friend has Planet X. We play both, everyone’s happy, right? Right? Too many ecstatic session posts over on the other thread and a burgeoning solo habit, plus a Boardlandia Halloween sale.
  • Fields of Arle: An object in motion cannot be stopped and the boxes were in motion. I think there was a siphon mechanism where new games were being pulled into my cart at this point? Honestly, my mind was on soloing. This has been on my mind for years, as Odin didn’t delight me the way I hoped it would. Another “buy to try” game and we’ll see if it can knock something else out.
  • The Great Zimbabwe: Absolutely the fault of @lalunaverde and @EnterTheWyvern . I had always though this was a COIN game and never looked into it. You two showed me where the rabbit trail started and I followed it, finding it led directly to my shrine of favorite games. Sold, to the man with no more cabinet space.

The @Yashima section:

• Formosa Tea: I think I already wrote about this one. This one doesn’t count as it is clearly a gift for the Taiwanese half of my family. They are all excited and I’m along for the ride.
  • Great Plains: We’ll see. 100% impulse and the siphon is in full effect. I love area control and 2p is just such an easy player count these days.

With no confidence at all, I say again I think I’m done. Boardlandia is now running 15% off everything and I don’t even want it. I’m also floating in a warm bath of new boxes and have run out of shelves.

Hold the line.

12 Likes

I may have been part of the Orleans cause, as I’ve been posting about it in the Recently Played thread here and there for the past few months.

2 Likes

With the Mrs no less.

edit: It was early October, but I think it actually started with Alpacas. I was mulling on Alpacas for an unknown reason, then began wondering if the Altiplano/Orleans debate had ever reached consensus? Then Orleans was available for preorder… this is sounding familiar.

Nearly all of my games are with the Mrs :smiley:

Those I can’t solo, anyway.

1 Like

And once again the thread turns into a confessional :stuck_out_tongue:

I am honored to have my own section—even though I feel I am not to blame for Formosa Tea :smiley: I feel like I should be playing Fields of Arle more—I only got the expansion earlier this year but haven‘t played it yet. The box has become even more daunting with the additional materials. Obviously also not playing enough Parks.

As for Zimbabwe… I blame everyone here and everywhere for having 2 Splotter games preordered (apparently the ship has arrived and direct preorders are being mailed out since late October—stupid me preordered from a shop so still waiting).

5 Likes

You get to blame @apcshields and I get to blame you :smiley:

1 Like

Zimbabwe I ordered in August 2020 from Splotter is still “processing”…

I deny having any blame for this, as I do not own, nor have ever played, and I don’t think I have even spoken of any Splotter games!

2 Likes

Is it bad that the only game from Splotter that I am interested in is Bus??

2 Likes

Well, it is by far the least interesting game of theirs (out of the big 6). So yes.

But also no, it’s still a good game =)

4 Likes

As expected, I return. I took advantage of the Boardlandia 15% off site wide sale (and my gift card) to order Ankh with Pantheon and Guardians.

The US prices are already noticeably better than Canadian (which is actually somewhat rare), plus the 15% made it the best time for me to grab one of the few KS campaigns I genuinely regret passing on.

Hoping they get the Pharoah expansion up for preorder before the sale ends at the end of the month. Seems to be highly recommended for 2 players.

4 Likes