Last game you bought?

I’ve bought some more Japanese games, found a local shop that stocks them. Got Sheep ‘n’ Sheep, Yeti in the House, and Here Comes the Dog.

1 Like

So I may have posted about some of these before, but the order hold finally shipped this week!

Cosmic Frog I grabbed on sale back in February/March, and same with Blackout Hong Kong, for $20 Canadian!!!

The small box games were all talked about on various podcasts I listen too. Regicide specifically has been getting praise from many especially SVWAG and Dan Thurot.

Not sure when the Frogs will hit the table due to player count, but the small games will probably be within the next couple weeks.

Edit: Not pictured is the Exceed mat, because we love the game but the card based Ares are a huge pain and super fiddly.

11 Likes

Our local Barnes and Noble is closing, so everything in the store is 25% off. So while it was there, I grabbed Undaunted: Normandy and also spotted The Red Cathedral, and grabbed it too, having really enjoyed Matt’s review of it.

7 Likes

Devir seems to be on a roll seeing how two of their next games top the Essen “thumbs up” list and Red Cathedral is coming out in German for Spiel as well.

3 Likes

At a toy shop in Sidmouth I bought Sushi Go and Forbidden Desert.

I think SG is almost as good as the Party follow up.

Forbidden Desert as my five year old has been asking for a game ‘we can all play together’ (on the same side he means)

Finally they has a decent selection of starter games so I want to encourage that by purchasing games.

9 Likes

It seems like half the time I play Sushi Go: Party!, I use the cards from the original edition anyway

5 Likes

I went for 2 decks of Regicide and it cost £13 each. So, it’s better to do a double if you can find a partner to buy it together.

4 Likes

August was a pretty good month for me collection-wise. I sold as many as I bought, and the ones I bought are all things I’m excited for.

I picked up Caylus 1303 on clearance for $30 CAD
I pre-ordered Art Decko, a remake of Promenade which is a game I’ve been tracking for a couple years now.
I picked up a (non-moldy) second hand copy of Medina second edition for a song
And I nabbed a second hand copy of Deus, which is a game I’ve really wanted to try since getting into the hobby a few years ago.

17 Likes

Hi @wiredmaverick and welcome to the forums. Looks like you went to some lenghts to buy a bunch of good games :slight_smile: Not that I have played any of your new acquisitions myself… but I have Art Decko on my watchlist also.

Deus looks interesting I am curious what you will have to say about it once you‘ve played.

Anyhow, have a look around and have some fun.

4 Likes

Still no preorders in the UK it seems. :slightly_frowning_face:

• Die Knuffies—unable to resist the idea
  • Menara—while I am at the dexterity game thing, this seems like a more grown up version of Rhino Hero and Zee seemed to like it quite a bit.
  • Great Plains—yet another attempt at finding a two player thing for us. Also it was on that „old school euros“ list and I needed something to make it to „no postage“

I need to start another round of selling.

My copy of „Death Valley“ from Button Shy arrived a few days back. The rules are a bit convoluted so I haven‘t managed a solo yet—or maybe my brain is caught inside the new work and I am unable to grok new games right now. So die Knuffies should be just about the level of rules I can deal with :smiley: one more reason… right? Right???

Edit: would have bought this days ago had I not been waffling over „Brew“ because dice placement and Spacebiff (I think I want my copy of Black Angel back… hmm… friends… hmm… now that I have played Troyes—yeah that was some time ago). In any case, that was weird. It sold out really fast at this OGS but it was available at another and then suddenly from one day to the next it went from „in store“ to „there is not game listed by that name“ ???

5 Likes

This is what I tell myself every time I buy a new game

5 Likes

Just bought Remember Our Trip - It’s always looked like my type of game and it’s reasonably priced.

4 Likes

Also the cover is just too cute… let us know how it goes from the description on the box I couldn’t figure out what it is. (and I’ve been too lazy to BGG it)

4 Likes

I’ve been tempted by this one too, but it’s never been available cheaply… until now, it seems. Non-import versions appear to be available locally. Count me as another interested party for impressions.

2 Likes

Remember our Trip is a fun game. It’s kind of Azul ish (this kind of knife fight with a teddy bear exterior) type game. Although it’s ages since I played it.

3 Likes

I picked up a few things recently.

During the August US Math Trade, I traded out an extra, new-in-shrink copy of Guilds of London (I ended up with a second copy because I made the mistake of buying a game while having a lowball bid on an auction that I had forgotten about), for a fairly rough but definitely playable copy of Fief: France 1429 (well, it will be playable once the person who sent it to me sends over the missing component: one of the blue player’s tax markers).

I also picked up a copy of Race for the Galaxy (1st edition) with The Gathering Storm and Rebel vs Imperium on the cheap from an auction – it looks like the person selling it is probably looking to buy a new edition of the game along with the 3-expansion round-up pack that’s due out around Essen. I’ve been looking for a copy of RftG for a long time and, due to my buying patterns calming down, and the ever-increasing cost of shipping, I’ve been targeting mostly “base games bundled with expansions” on BGG auctions – this was a steal compared to similar offerings I’ve seen before.

A few weeks ago, after listening to yet another episode of SVWAG (I’m a few months behind still) talk about Yura Yura Penguin, I tracked down the Japanese creator/publisher’s website and ordered in a copy with the Kickstarter extras. I actually picked up a 5-pack of the base game and both of the extras, hoping to recoup some/most of the cost by reselling the other 4 copies (if you’re in the US, let me know if you’re interested; Canada: no idea what postage looks like to you at the moment).

And, then, one of my few remaining retail-orders-on-hold came in:

Teotihuacan: Expansion Period – With the future of Tascini designs uncertain, I opted to pick this up because I’ve been reading good things about it, even though I haven’t explored the majority of the other two expansions I already have. It does add some additional variability for solo play, so definitely something I wanted to grab in case it didn’t get another printing.

Nemo’s War (Second Edition): Nautilus Upgrades Expansion Pack, Nemo’s War (Second Edition): Bold and Caring Expansion Pack #2, Nemo’s War (Second Edition): Dramatis Personae Expansion Pack #3 – I almost picked these up as part of the Journey’s End and Ultimate Edition Kickstarter, but ultimately decided that the prices were just too high with very little “exclusive” content to justify the prices. So I passed on the Kickstarter and opted to pick up the small expansions on the cheap at one of my preferred stores.

Iberian Gauge – prior to adding this to the list, the whole package was being held up by the Teotihuacan expansion… but it felt totally worthwhile to delay the rest a little bit longer to pick up the most exciting (I think) of Captone’s Iron Rail series.

8 Likes

Shamans, because if I didn’t get it now after Those Guys reviewed it I’d probably have to wait for the next stock wave. :slight_smile:

Lol. I ordered shamans, royal visit and oriflamme.

4 Likes

Bought Shamans. I didn’t know it’s available until you guys bought a copy :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes