Last game you bought?

Let me learn the full thing :slight_smile: But definitely and next time lasers will be fired at audacious smugglers.

2 Likes

How long did your 3-player Xia game take when you played?

1 Like

We played to 5 fame, none of us having played before, and I think… 2½ hours? But that was very much working out how to translate the rules into actual how-to-play, and getting into the rhythm of the game, and I would expect a future game to go much faster.

2 Likes

I’m very much game on for another one! I’ll try not to faff about too much in VR

1 Like

(looks for code to rotate background environment very very very slowly)

2 Likes

Then modify it to suddenly alter the direction of rotation at random intervals.

1 Like

Bought Wavelength for an ‘is this better than Codenames?’ evaluation.

Pretty sure I don’t need two team party games.

8 Likes

My answer is: “Ish!”

3 Likes

I would always play Wavelength. I get too stressed managing multi-card clues, knowing you need to get more cards-per-clue than the other team when you’re the code giver in Codenames

2 Likes

Just ordered Vampire: Vendetta, which was showing as a pre-order just a couple of days ago on an OGS, but now is in stock so should ship soon! And that checks off one of my anticipated games.

4 Likes

Funnily enough, I decided this weekend to give Codenames away after finally getting to play Wavelength with the family. I find Wavelength to be quicker, less stressful, produces more interesting discussions, and the cluegiver doesn’t have to sit in silence for too long.

You can also play Wavelength outside without having to worry about the wind.

4 Likes

I got Schotten Totten 2 as a basket filler to get free shipping on some dice for Glorantha. For a <£10 game, I’m really surprised by the components. Thick MDF/chipboard-type-stuff tokens!

5 Likes

My Kickstarter expansion and component upgrades for **lords of Vegas ** arrived looks pretty swish and can see the storage being useful as a means of holding parts during the game.

8 Likes

Got Manoeuvre + Distant Lands expansion for a very good price.

Preordered Nidavellir (choo choo?) and got the promo from eBay.

Also a game called Nefertiti + expansion which had good reception from Hidden Gems podcast.

5 Likes

EDIT: game names wrong way round - thanks to the below posters!

Had been hunting a copy of Whitehall Mystery for a while when I can across a cheap copy of Letters from Whitechapel. For the price I thought I’d better pick it up, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a copy of either.

From what I understand Whitechapel sounds like the more involved game, but has quite a long run time while Whitehall streamlines everything, cutting down the run time but also some interesting parts of the game. If the group enjoys Whitechapel and can see me picking up Whtehall too at some point.

Also got Mr Jack goes to New York in the same purchase. Wasn’t intending to, but the two were offered together.

3 Likes

It seems I forgot to log that I picked up Black Rose Wars late last week. I have to say, I’m really quite impressed with the retail package. It’s not a game I wanted the minis for, and the token replacements seem decently comprehensive with respect to the gameplay offered in the retail box as compared to the KS base (stretch box(es) notwithstanding).

Sadly it appears that some of the cooler expansion content comes part-and-parcel with a glut of miniatures, but I’m guessing I won’t feel the need to expand this one too far anyway. Furthermore there’s some pretty excellent PnP stuff available if I decide I want to pursue solo play, which is pretty neat.

Anyway, I’ve already gone through the rules and the core loop is more straightforward than I had come to expect. It seems the true weight of the game comes largely from the card play, events and quests, which was great to see. How that ends up playing out might be another story.

Whether this one sticks around will depend heavily on my partner’s interest; there’s a lot on offer here that would really push her buttons, but it’s also a long game that will require a few plays to really dig in… here’s hoping. [I do have a few interested (and one invested) folks in my group once that’s a thing again.]

(Thankfully) the art assets are incredibly sparse, with the design leaning heavily into the ornate decorative elements and letting the spell descriptions stand on their own. This was presumably done to place heavier focus on the models, but I appreciate the decision just the same. The result is already a bit noisy, so slathering art all over everything would really muddy the view.

Anyway, that’s a lot said for a quick read through the manual, but suffice it to say that I’m pretty hot to get this tabled. [And oh my, what a table when it’s laid out!]

2 Likes

I think you’ve mixed up the two there (we do it all the time)

Letters from Whitechapel is the 3-hour long marathon of the net slowly closing in. (red box)

Whitehall Mystery is the 45 minute chase accross London. (blue box)

2 Likes

You have those backwards. Letters from Whitechapel is the longer game with four “nights” of gameplay, meaning unless the investigators find Jack early on, there will be four setups of the game, essentially, just with the investigators ideally having an idea of where Jack will be running after each kill as the nights progress.

Whitehall Mystery is the more streamlined and shorter game, with no stopping of gameplay to set everything back up. Investigators know when Jack has placed a new body part and since he has to get to four particular areas of the map, they can try to restrict his movement options as the game goes on.

Both games are great, imo, but Whitehall is probably the better game overall.

ninja’d

2 Likes

Ha, I actually had the post written out and thought I’d got the names the wrong way round so swapped… Should have stuck with my gut! I knew I’d picked up the longer playing game at least! Is it 3 hours minimum or is it highly dependent on the group size and dynamic?

I think you have those the wrong way round.

Blue Box - shorter, smaller

Red Box - bigger, larger

1 Like