How are you today?

I spent half an hour tonight on the phone with animal poison control. My Gwen pupper is fine. She got into a drawer we didn’t think she could reach / open and helped herself to 5 months worth of her heart worm prevention medication. She was due for a monthly dose tomorrow so I guess she only overdosed herself by 4 months but we had no clue how bad that might be and were really worried. Turns out, it’s not really that big of a deal. Animal poison control seemed more concerned about how much of the packaging she ate. They mostly just gave us a list of symptoms to watch for over the next few hours and days and said to take her to our vet or an emergency clinic if any of that happens, but it’s all highly unlikely to happen. Gwen is currently acting completely normal other than wondering why we’ve been acting so strange.

8 Likes

Hoomans are so weird about their delicious packaging.

3 Likes

It’s Guy Fawkes’ night here in the U.K. (or bonfire night or fireworks night). This week I almost wish the plotters succeeded. Scandals which would have toppled previous governments cause embarrassment to this one, and soon even the embarrassment will be gone. The country feels like it’s unravelling right now so it’s a strange time to remember our most famous terrorist incident.

I was a vet in practice for far too long to have any kind of affection for this terrifying (to many) celebration. I can heartily recommend playing video games with friends instead for a much more pleasant evening.

17 Likes

We’re playing Head Cold Relay in my house. Multiple negative Covid tests all-around, but everyone is taking turns quarantining from school/ work for 5 days at a time due to a 36-hour bug. I’m supportive of playing it safe, especially in our communities, but it is wreaking full-on havoc with our teaching jobs. Lots of solo gaming time, though.

7 Likes

We’ve just (minutes ago) finished one of our major tasks for the year, so that’s a big thing cleared off the decks. And last night’s game boosted my mood, thanks Nick! It’s a good feeling when you make one of those breakthroughs after feeling stumped for a while.

8 Likes

Sadly last night’s game also polished off my computer! It’s now at the repair shop and may need a new brain.

2 Likes

What kind of heavy-weight were you playing?

2 Likes

Abby Normal?

1 Like

Call of Cthulhu. I think my computer failed it’s sanity check.

8 Likes

Trying to support my wife whilst she gets bullied by some Girl Guide leaders (she’s the local Guide commissioner) le sigh

5 Likes

Just got an email from ebay today, Nov 10th, regarding an order I made the other day. It says “Your order is arriving early!” And the estimated delivery date is Nov 9th…

???

Check the tracking number, estimated delivery is today by 8 PM.

Way to go, ebay…

4 Likes

Having a bit of a board games drought. Obviously, Delta hitting the country in August and having stopped the Monday Games night has a lot to do with it, but I think I am going through what most of you did last year.

I was having a look at my BGG profile, and my figures have plummeted the last couple of months, besides a long weekend stint at the end of October that we went to a batch together with some friends (and mostly played run of the mill Hasbro - Parker games) I don’t seem to feel like playing even solo.

I think another factor is not having my games on display, but boxed away (still pending sorting out storage solutions for my eldest daughter bedroom) having recently moved. Hopefully her new set of shelves will arrive soon.

My interest in games has not depleted, I still frequently drop by here, watch youtube content creators, listen to the odd podcast, etc. But I don’t feel like sitting down and play.

With my birthday looming (less than a month away, sigh), I am going to organize a game night one off with close friends, but I cannot wait for the government to let us normalize things a bit more here. Our vaccination figures have reached levels like the UK or most European countries, and I understand everybody has their own preferences and opinions about it, but I cannot avoid having mixed feelings about the whole Pandemic situation.

Anyway, sorry about the rant, but I thought I’d aired it a bit here.

11 Likes

First gig in over 20 months this evening. I was already a bit anxious and that was before another attendee mentioned that they’d had their original ticket replaced with a new one. I’ve heard nothing so I’m trying to chase up the band/venue this morning for clarification. Yay.

3 Likes

I came to school this morning to learn that we lost two students in a car accident last night, so my school is in Tread Lightly Crisis Mode. (That’s what we actually call it.) I’ve been bouncing between reading official statements, giving hugs, enforcing classroom structure, and crying in my classroom closet. This is my first break without students or colleagues around, and I’m completely drained. I’ve got 45 minutes for black tea and good sad music before the tide comes crashing back in.

Our school has had a rough year, even considering the rough year that every school is having. I was looking through my books of poetry to find something relevant to give my students for focus and reflection. I landed on Whitman’s The Spotted Hawk, which I won’t paste the entirety of here, and Jerry Holkins’ Too Many Dragons, which I will:

Some say that one dragon is too many.
Last time I counted, I had around twenty.

13 Likes

Omg that is so terrible. I feel this right to my bones. I lost a good friend to a car accident many years ago and I still wonder what might have been… I am so so sorry for everyone involved.

6 Likes

Sending all the support we have @bengeile . Speaking from my own experience dealing with a classroom full of grief is about the hardest thing in the world.

6 Likes

And there I was moaning about nothing, sorry to hear that @bengeile.

4 Likes

Y’know, I read your post before I wrote mine, and it resonated quite a bit with how I’ve been feeling about games lately. A lot of curating, collecting and cleaning, but not much drive to get them to the table. I appreciated feeling in the same boat, and that’s worth a lot today.

10 Likes

Internet hugs to you and your students :frowning:

8 Likes

over here we’re working on the exponential growth experience for everyone.

the new strategy seems to be anarchy. we don’t have a new government yet and all the old one is doing is ending the national emergency just in time for the actual emergency.

5 Likes