How are you today?

May tune into one of them and the fact that she is donating proceeds to a good cause helps motivate me to order a ticket.

1 Like

Yes, health care has, but I’m not talking about health care; the laws we’re talking about are the ones that limit freelance work.

1 Like

Sorry. I wasn’t trying to steer into the merits of different ethical views (we are all intelligent individuals and can see both sides of arguments even if we don’t agree with them) but more a rather light touch towards an amenable conclusion. Since it has created a spin off thread I’m happy to let it live there.

As an individual unfamiliar with the US healthcare system I’ll avoid any comment myself.

My original sentiment stands however… I am sorry to hear that this will impact you so severely, I truly hope that it works out somehow.

2 Likes

Thank you. I hope so, but I have my doubts.

2 Likes

We have an appointment to look at a new apartment on Tuesday morning. On Monday I’m going to make appointments with two more places, if I can.

I’ve found a local moving firm that will do the packing for us. We just have so much stuff that I can’t expect to get it packed between now and when our lease expires, so I’m going to solve the problem by throwing money at it. At least for the present we have money.

5 Likes

Best of luck with the search!

Thank you!

As of 11 January, things are starting to move ahead. We have appointments to see apartments in three complexes this week; I’m hoping one of them will fit us. If not, there are three more on my list to call, and one where I’ve called and left a message. We’re not going to apply till we’ve had a good look at what’s available . . .

A Kitanes brand cigarette?

2 Likes

We’ve just applied for a new apartment: A three-bedroom with approximately the same area as our current two-bedroom, and for about the same rent. We’re supposed to get a Yes or No within 24 hours. So at the moment I’m feeling a mix of anticipation and suspense . . .

Update, 20 January: Apparently everything we turned in is satisfactory, except that they need to get a statement from our current property manager. The manager at the new place talked with the current manager this morning and e-mailed her the document with questions; we haven’t heard further. This slowness of response is a big part of why we want to move to a new place, of course . . .

Further update: We’ve just been called and told we’re getting the apartment. We’ll be able to sign the lease tomorrow. Woot!

7 Likes

Good luck!

I’m very tired (woke up at 4am for some reason, though I did get a bit more sleep) and my wife’s discovered rain seeping through a crack in the ceiling. I’m really struggling with being at work - I came back after several months of sick leave and don’t think I really recovered.

1 Like

Best of luck!

I’m not going to post the link because I know everyone on this site isn’t happy with how the election went in America. However, if you’re anyway inclined please have a look at Amanda Gorman.

7 Likes

Fuuuuuuuhhhhaaak. That made me cry. And I’m not even American.

happy sigh

And to think, for years I didn’t want to know what the poets are doing (those Himalayans of the mind)…

4 Likes

We’ve signed the lease. Now we just have to get through the move.

10 Likes

Congrats!

As the likeliest nearest-by person on these forums, let me know if there’s anything I can do. Within the current health crisis, I’m not exactly sure what that is but feel free to reach out if you think I can assist.

1 Like

The kindness is appreciated. At this point, though, the basic strategy is going to be throwing money at the problem. I’ve found a moving company that will come in and do the packing for us, and most of the rest is getting in touch with various people and setting things up. But if I think of anything I’ll drop you a note.

2 Likes

Tired today. Had two teeth pulled yesterday, which took hours to stop bleeding, and stayed up way too late finishing our campaign of The King’s Dilemma, and finally had to bow out at 11:30, though would have loved to have stayed on to keep talking about it. The pain is surprisingly non-existent, though that may be due to the 500 mg of Tylenol + 600 mg of Ibuprofen I have been taking every 6 hours. Mouth still tastes metallic though. :nauseated_face:

7 Likes

At least you have decent painkillers. Japanese doctors and dentists seem to think pain is good for you. I had a root canal go bad, the medicine in the filling being pushed up through the root into the gum, and I could feel the dentist pushing it out. Agony for days, and the crappy painkillers didn’t help at all.

Is Tylenol and/or Ibuprofen not available over the counter in Japan?

Actually, pretty sure they are, now that you mention it. I assumed the painkillers provided by the dentist would be the most appropriate and effective, especially after I went back for a stronger one, so I didn’t think to try over-the-counter stuff.