How are you today?

Xcom2 is fun until you pull ahead on the power curve, then it becomes rote and boring when you are overpowered.

3 Likes

I wish I could say I don’t enjoy being overpowered, but sadly I do. It’s a little like when my opponent draws no/ too much land in Magic. I shouldn’t enjoy winning in this way but I totally do.

4 Likes

See, this is how you can tell my mind (what’s remaining of it) is lodged firmly in the gutter.

You mean “having so much power it is ridiculous.” I thought you meant that you enjoyed being a submissive.

It took me three attempts to figure out what you meant. And, hey, no judgments either way.

5 Likes

I would love to be too powerful in XCOM 2. Currently I am getting steamrollered by the opposition.

Job interview went okay. I am very tired, and current work seem to be ramping up the work for my last two weeks. But soon it will be time for HOLIDAYS and watching the Muppets Christmas Carol (the greatest Christmas movie) and this year I’m also going to read this:

6 Likes

Your opinion is correct @SteveB_uk

3 Likes

Muppets Christmas is ABSOLUTELY the best Christmas movie.

5 Likes

I am not arguing either way with this statement.

1 Like

Casablanca. Maybe Die Hard.

Quite proud of the fact that we’re into the fifth session of our one-shot TTRG scenario.

6 Likes

Despite one of the players having previously completed it.

5 Likes

Too much to do before Christmas. So little time.

Hopefully I’ll catch up with you all tonight in games.

I’m in the penultimate week of a play be email Megagame and it’s gone a bit Intense.

10 Likes

So there’s money at my institute for new job two grades above me but a promotion for me is ‘wait and see how the technicians pathway works out’

I’m going to start acting my wage.

8 Likes

“Can you recommend some co-op games for my husband and I to play?”
“Sure! Give me some examples of ones you have played and enjoyed.”
“Yeah, we love Forbidden Island, Zombie Kidz, Castle Panic, and Forbidden Desert.”
“Okay! Have you tried Pandemic?”
“Yes, we didn’t like it.”
“Well, that takes Pandemic Legacy out of the picture as well.”
“Oh definitely. No interest in it whatsoever.”
“That’s no problem. Okay, what about Spirit Island? You play native spirits–”
“No, sounds boring. What else?”
“Uh, well, in The Grizzled you have to be extremely careful to–”
“Nope, theme does nothing for me.”
“Aeon’s End? You play wizards protecting a magical–”
“Don’t like fantasy.”
“Okay, what about The Crew? It’s a fully co-op version of euchre where–”
“Sounds awful.”
“There’s the brilliant, Spiel Des Jahres winner MicroMacro Crime City? It’s a weird, Where’s Waldo Murder Mystery Time Travel game. Looking at this cover, we can work together to solve the murder of the burger vendor! Let’s find–”
“Wow, what a stupid premise for a game. What else do you have?”
“Have you tried Magic Maze? It’s a real-time game–”
“Ew, real-time? Like, timed? No, absolutely not.”
“… madam, I’m afraid you’re on your own at this point.”

(Aside: This is the literal first time anyone hasn’t been enthusiastic about MicroMacro who specifically was looking for a fully co-op. I honestly have no idea what she was expecting, but yeah, she wasn’t having any of it. Also, definitely the most times a single customer has interrupted me in months)

9 Likes

“Well, I guess you want Forbidden Island’s and Forbidden Desert’s less interesting but more gimmicky sibling Forbidden Sky. Enjoy your terrible purchase that is entirely the fault of your close-mindedness.”

Yeah, I’d be fired pretty quick

6 Likes

There is a reason I have said I cannot work in retail. I would get fired so quickly after one too many idiotic customers. And one is probably too many…

4 Likes

Once again, this could be me. I think I might be a terrible customer. I’d have shot down Magic Maze in a second as well and I really did not enjoy MicroMacro as much as everyone else. I tend to interrupt people and have yet to find a trick to keep myself from doing it. I am that impatient -.-

(Though that last time I went to FLGS to just browse for a bit I more or less hid from the employees because once they see me they want to chat and I didn’t have time)

7 Likes

Well obviously you should have sold them Flash Point Fire Rescue. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

If I’m reading the customer correctly, they would have likely said, “No, we prefer people to die in house fires.”

5 Likes

That’s partially on me, granted. When somebody says they don’t like Pandemic I consciously eliminate all Pandemic-likes (Flashpoint and Burgle Bros being the two best, IMO, but also includes all the Pandemic spin-offs and, usually, the Forbidden-series). If somebody doesn’t like X, I assume they won’t like X+1 or X-1.

And hey, people are absolutely allowed to dislike some games. I get it! But I’ve run into this “There must be an absolutely perfect game that does everything I want and nothing I don’t” a few times this season, and it seems almost absurd to me. There was a customer in on Friday that wanted something more complicated than Terraforming Mars but less complicated than Ark Nova and with no extra rules but with deep strategy and extremely variable but really quick to learn.

The conversation went (basically) like this:
“Okay, so you want something more complicated than Terraforming Mars?”
“Yes, but with as much strategy and depth.”
“Ark Nova.”
“Yeah, no, that’s too complicated.”
“Have you tried Underwater Cities?”
“I haven’t, but I think there are too many rules in that one. I need something simpler.”
“But more complicated than Terraforming Mars? But simpler than Underwater Cities or Ark Nova?”
“Yeah.”
“Brass Birmingham?”
“No, that’s too simple. And too hard to teach. And there aren’t enough varied strategies.”
“Soooo… for clarity… more strategy than Terraforming Mars, but easier to teach?”
“Exactly.”
“… Ark Nova or bust, sir. I don’t think I can recommend anything else in that category.”
“Well, what about more complexity than Mage Knight but easier?”
“Uhh… what do you mean when you say complexity?”
“You know! Lots of things I can do! I want something like that, but less hard to teach.”
“Huh. Ark Nova or bust, sir. I think you’re looking for a unicorn, but the closest thing that we’d have would be Ark Nova.”

I then smiled, wished him good luck with his search, and told him to ask me if he had any further questions.

And, again, I’m not upset with the customer! Some people don’t know what they’re looking for any more than “but that is not it” and that’s fine! But I’m knowledgeable, not a genie.

7 Likes

(Having played my 2nd solo of Ark Nova yesternight, I concur)

2 Likes