How are you today?

Matt Lees nailed it on this one - when you play Monopoly, exactly one person has fun. There are definitely personality types who are stoked to sign up for that, the gamble that they will be the one person today and can gloat over those who are not that person.

7 Likes

This is a very common state for games, it isn’t unique to monopoly. Even in monopoly, you can have fun getting to final winner. (Well some people do). Monopoly suffers from being long, low-skill, and boring, not just from being a winner take all.

4 Likes

The thing that Monopoly underlined for me is that you can tell who’s won about 30-60% of the way through, but you still “have to” play the rest of the game. A modern design would just end there, and would be a lot better for it.

5 Likes

I was invited to a meeting with the title “call of roadmap: impact warfare “. Worst game ever. (Worse than monopoly, even.)

2 Likes

What, and miss out on the tears, tantrums and (memorably) biting? There are so few legal ways of tormenting childer these days…

6 Likes

Powerwolf, a fantastically fun and eminently silly power metal band from Germany, are coming over to North America for the very first time in February. Only two dates, New York and Montreal.

I just got a ticket to the Montreal show. 24 February, 8 PM. How am I doing? I am HYPED.

9 Likes

Oh Powerwolf are such fun. Not a band I listen to at home, but I am delighted they are also headlining my favorite festival next year :slight_smile: Everybody go listen to Dy-dy-dynamite!

(Does everyone know they are putting out a Powerwolf themed boardgame?)

In my own news: we went to the movies last night. Our first time since I don‘t remember… the before-times. The movie didn‘t even matter. But it is also great that it was good Wakanda Forever OV Imax 3D—OV = Original Version so in English thank you very much. Translated movies… not if I can avoid it

It was so good to be away form home and phone for a few hours. And tonight we‘re having dinner with friends… do we actually have a social life beyond our couch?

9 Likes

6 Likes

Had kids Christmas fair yesterday at their school. 6th circle of hell… Until we won a Lush advent calendar on the raffle. £185 worth for £2 (plus the many pound coins spent on other crap of course…) investment. Result. Well result for my wife - I can’t stand the stuff.

11 Likes

Christmas is about to happen.

9 Likes

I have finally submitted my assignment and taken all of my turns on BGA! :partying_face:

I had to ask for an extension (from Thursday to Monday) because a) last week was nightmare planning week at work and b) I have poor time management skills. An unfortunate side effect of being granted an extension was that all my motivation and focus immediately deserted me, and if my husband hadn’t been bribing me with chocolate and demanding, in a comedically bad Austrian accent :person_shrugging:, that I study, I would probably have been staying up very late on Sunday night…

My brain:

12 Likes

Whenever I have an imminent deadline I suddenly start wanting to write almost anything else. Careful juggling can actually make use of this.

5 Likes

Ah, the old “procrastinate by doing the thing I was previously avoiding” strategy. That was how I could always tell when my uni flatmate had an essay due - the kitchen was suddenly spotless

4 Likes

This sort of behavior is why I have:

A. A (large) number of half-finished creative projects
B. Amazing skills at performing tasks at the last minute with remarkable success

4 Likes

I feel like I’ve posted this here before :laughing:

4 Likes

I’ve been worn out the last couple of days - picked up a cold (testing negative) just in time for the end of strikes. At least I can nap on Saturdays. I’m trying to get my new computer set up, but at the tedious install, transfer, fix settings, stage. It’s running super quiet so far; I want to see what it’s like when I’m running a couple of programmes, the sort that would make the laptop roar and approach melting point.

4 Likes

Please see my degree and my post grad…

6 Likes

I have a busy last 2 weeks at work, and a job interview on tuesday, so I spent about 14 hours this weekend playing X-COM 2 which is just bought. (Belongs here on the Procrastination list more than the PC games list). Also, that game is very difficult.

9 Likes

I beginning to think that I need to start a thread for people to share tips on how to trick your brain into doing what you need to do :laughing: I hope the job interview goes well!

4 Likes

I really enjoy 50% of the X-Com games. Hate the base building part.

3 Likes