How are you today?

As long as you keep it in wales.

2 Likes

I never thought I would type “a quantum of emesis” twice in the same Internet forum, but here we all are.

6 Likes

[nukes last 16hrs of this thread from orbit]

[imagines drama class warm-up from Hell] “Express - a ferret’s anal gland!”

6 Likes

It’s like November. How many days off of school can a kid have already?

Anywho, I was blitzing chores and shopping to be able to take it easy tomorrow and the next day because my kids have a 4 day weekend (their 2nd this year so far).

A cashier at Trader Joe’s was really upbeat and kind and asking *about my day. I said today was pretty good compared to the last 4. I shared that it’s frustrating when all this outside factors are hard on my kids and ultimately outside of my control. (School change, and therapy center closing).

When I was putting my groceries in my car she appeared and gave me some flowers, and well wishes. Which was really nice, and very kind.

I tend to over share when under stress

18 Likes

You are not alone. I do, too :slight_smile:
Those are some beautiful flowers, I hope they can brighten your day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Hey, I just overshare, period.

Very nice gesture! I’m always happy when I can make a customer’s day a little better… glad that they managed that for you!

6 Likes

We’re on our way to Montreal for my wife’s first follow-up appointment. I’ll confess to some trepidation but we’re confident. News will be good!

Grateful for all the good vibes/prayers/positive energy you can spare, of course.

15 Likes

My kid’s school calendar got pushed up a week, so two of the stupid days off were in October, but they at least stopped taking a day off for “report card distribution “. To make up for it, no school the whole week of thanksgiving.

2 Likes

We’re out of the hospital. Global improvements to her condition, she’s responding really well to treatments, radiation therapy incoming to solidify the spine, as long as it’s a bunch of short stints, since the anti-tumoral agent doesn’t play nice with radiation therapy.

So… We’re insanely happy.

24 Likes

Fabulous news!

7 Likes

Hell yeah. Next follow-up in another 3 months.

5 Likes

Good news in my corner of the world today. My husband was just notified by his boss that he is receiving an award in “recognition of extraordinary effort” in the workplace and “the development and/or implementation of change that resulted in a significant positive impact to our organization.” Husband says it is a known award in his company that will look good on his resume if he goes up for internal promotions and the like. I think the best part is the award comes with a $1,000 bonus!

16 Likes

Glad to hear that your wife is doing better @Simfers
Congratulations @Brattyjedi that sounds like an awesome thing. Such an award is quite the achievement for your husband!

It was a pretty good day here.

• Two of the craftspeople for the renovation will finally resume work tomorrow.
  • I breezed through 2 tickets for work today, completing a 3 point ticket in about 3 hours this afternoon—felt like a superhero :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Finally managed to score 103 points for the Cascadia solo competition challenge
  • Baked bread and the whole apartment smells like fresh bread now
  • Took a walk—sure it was just to get a few groceries but I walked and it was nice
  • Saw some pretty flowers at the store, didn‘t buy any but I took a picture for you lovely people here to enjoy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I hope you all have some goodness in your life today.

11 Likes

Got tickets for Sting in his Hawke’s Bay concert (a 25 minutes drive from home). Even better, the concert is the 4th of March, and my partner’s birthday is the 5th.

So that is her 40th sorted. Ish.

10 Likes

When we bought our house this summer, we pretty quickly discovered that one of the two showers leaked very badly from the second story through to the first floor and the other leaked a little bit. We got a plumber in to inspect the one that leaked very badly and were told the plumbing was fine but the tiles on the shower wall were loose and the grout had cracks in it. We got the grout replaced in both showers this past week. The shower that leaked very badly is maybe not leaking anymore. Hopefully. The shower that leaked a little is still leaking exactly the same. I feel like we just spent over $1,000 to not fix a problem and I don’t know what the next thing to try would even be.

6 Likes

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the freal fix is rip the tile out, properly waterproof, and install new. Tile is not waterproof. Individual tiles might be, (lots are not, though), but the wall or floor assembly is not. Grout is porous, and it cracks. Water is always going to get behind it, and there needs to be a water proof layer behind it. Historically, that’s been a thick bed )1-2” thick( mortar, which was not waterproof, but impermeable enough. Modern practice is one of various waterproof membranes, either a sheet, or painted on. There’s a horrible period, from roughly the 70/s to the mid 90s, where the practice was tile directly on sheet rock, or concrete backer board. Every one of these leaked, some bad enough to cause noticeable water damage below them, some just enough to damage the framing, most only enough to grow mold in the wallboard.

People who cut corners, either because they don’t know what they are doing (diy and bad pros “who always done this”), or don’t care (flippers and tract house builders, scammers) still do that. It’s waterproof long enough for them to get paid. It’s even still permissible under some codes (they do require a water proof pan (or a tub))

It maybe possible to localize the leak and do a targeted repair, but the long term fix is gut it.

10 Likes

The house was built in 1963 and I’m not sure if the bathroom has had any renovations since.

The guy who did the grouting said a few tiles were loose and he stuck those back on again with adhesive. He had to push two in a little and he said there was a crack in whatever is behind them. He said he was confident what he had done would hold for 5-7 years but we would probably have problems after that. I’m afraid that’s the source of the problem but I don’t know for sure.

5 Likes

Finally got round to ordering new computer bits. I’ve been making do with a laptop for the last few years (moving round a lot) but my current one is rather broken. Switching to a Thinkpad for casual writing in cafes etc. and an actual desktop again for anything more serious.

I’ve got permission to run a small RPG session for our work Christmas party, so looking forward to that :smiley:

7 Likes

For what it’s worth:

Our house has 2 showers, both of which leak and have damaged the wood frames behind and under them. We knew this when buying the house, and put it on the “This Will Be Fixed Eventually” list.

The contractors we hired to come in and give estimates when we finally had the opportunity to do so said almost verbatim what @dscheidt said. There are plenty of short-term fixes, but the only way to really fix the whole mess is to rip it all out and install a new shower. At the time (February 2022) the estimate was around $15,000CAD for our upstairs bathroom (that’s the whole shebang, though, not just the shower). We never use the downstairs shower and are probably just going to continue ignoring it.

We were searching for a second and third estimate (I always try to get three estimates for any job, just to get a good ballpark figure for how much it’ll cost) when we found out our car was on the precipice of death, and the money for renos went towards new wheels.

8 Likes

Not making me feel any better.
Thanks though. It is useful to know, even if not encouraging.

2 Likes