How are you today?

Only had it 22 years. Now I have to figure out what to replace it with.

8 Likes

Replace that blade?

My tool of choice these days is a Leatherman Surge.

1 Like

We got a severe storm/tornado here yesterday in my part of Québec/Eastern Ontario. Over 200,000 people without power, currently 5 dead. And more injured. Plus all the trees downed and the damage. Winds were blowing at 140 km/h (that’s about 87 miles/hour I think). We twigged it wasn’t just a thunderstorm when the rain was blowing through our open patio door despite our 20-foot-long roof extending over our deck). Took refuge in the basement for an hour with the doggie we’re dog-sitting.

A couple of our trees got blown down, but ZERO damage to the house, garage, deck or camper. Never even lost power, which boggles my mind.

7 Likes

Glad you were okay. Sorry for all of those who were not as fortunate.

4 Likes

Yeah, seriously, we got insanely lucky. My sister-in-law’s without power or phone reception and no idea when either’s coming back.

4 Likes

I’ll send it in, but I suspect they are going to replace it, not fix it. It is the original Wave (which is not the same as what leatherman calls the original wave, which is a revised version.) The mk 0 wave doesn’t have the serrated blade identified by lines, the springs are different, and something else is different.

I have a new wave. I hqte it. I want a real Phillips driver, not apropritary interchangeable bit holder. (One that took standard 1/4 bits would be a big improvement. ). I also think they stopped making it from steel and switched to cheese. The blade arrived dull, and didn’t hold an edge for the week

The original wave is just about perfect for what I want (I’d be fine with a single straight blade), but used prices are higher than I am willing to pay.

3 Likes

Morning. Had a really nice weekend, that wasnt anything special. Yet seem more tired than when it started!! :crazy_face:

8 Likes

I had a Facebook ad from a company claiming to be ‘a leader in cultured avian biomass’. I am going to skip breakfast.

3 Likes

I lost my uncle yesterday. He was a taciturn but brilliant and good man, who taught me chess, whist, and rummy before I was 8 years old. He also went directly against my parent’s wishes and bought me a Game Boy with Tetris, Double Dragon, and Baseball when I was stuck in a 2/3rd’s body cast for 12 weeks at 10 years old. I hope I can be as good an uncle to my nieces and nephews.

22 Likes

All our sympathies, buddy. Sounds like he was a brilliant man, and his legacy will live on in you, I’m sure.

6 Likes

Sorry for your loss, it is sad when we lose that special uncle/auntie, they take with them a bit of our heart.

5 Likes

Sympathies indeed.

5 Likes

I flew to Tampa on Thursday for two weeks of grading essays. Or more accurately, one week of writing a rubric for grading the essays then a week of grading essays. It’s a complicated process.

My husband had a runny nose on Wednesday. Allergies. It got worse after I left on Thursday. He got much worse on Friday with congestion and cough until he took an at home COVID test Friday night. Positive. We are both triple shots and have previously had COVID before we were vaccine eligible. This sucks.

I took two at home COVID tests Thursday morning before I flew and they were both negative, but that now seems meaningless. I flew on 2 airplanes and went through multiple airports Thursday and spent all day Friday in a convention center with at least a couple hundred other people. Fortunately, I’m cautious so I was wearing a mask though not required anytime I wasn’t eating or drinking. Most people while traveling and working have not been wearing masks and we eat meals at the convention center all together so even I wasn’t masked then.

I’m in my hotel room today instead of going over to the convention center to work. I’m waiting for the slow wheels of the HR bureaucracy to let me know what I’m supposed to do next.

I’m also hungry since I have no food in my hotel room, couldn’t go to breakfast, and it’s almost lunchtime.

8 Likes

Just heard from HR. Because I’m vaccinated and boosted, the official CDC guidelines are to just wear a mask and I don’t have to quarantine so they want me to go to work and just let them know if I develop symptoms. I pointed out I can’t wear a mask while eating and we eat in a big room all together. I asked if I needed to sit at a table in a far off corner by myself or what, and he basically said "use your judgment and just don’t get too close to anyone but I don’t think that’s necessary.” This feels like a disaster in the making.

I did get another at home test and was negative again today so hopefully it’ll be ok. I feel bad for my poor husband, home alone with the dog now.

13 Likes

Well, it’s done. Grandpa was laid to rest today. Lovely ceremony. The Royal 22e Régiment’s Band CO and his Sergeant-Major were in attendance, and they had a trumpeter who played The Last Post. It was beautiful. Afterwards, lots of catching up with family we hadn’t seen in years. It was a good day.

19 Likes

A month and a day until I start the new job. Sounds like the old school sentences you were given. Not that I am complaining, we just went really quiet the last week, and we aren’t drowning in paperwork and catching up is actually happening.

It’s just that I am getting tired of explaining the same thing again and again about why and where I am leaving. I hate being the centre of attention, the older I get, the less I want to be there.

8 Likes

I just saw the eMail that includes an actual date for the first actual work on my parental home renovation (1) project. It feels quite unreal.

Also: we have tons of cleaning up to do until then b/c while my dad “moved out” of that part of the house… he didn’t take all the stuff. So probably very very little time for games in the next month. Which means I’ll probably compensate… see you in the Last Bought thread (I am trying not to though)

(1) renovation is too small a word, we’re making the house fit for the future with almost all our money and then some. this includes solar, home automation, new windows, new roof, new floors, new heating system, new bath rooms… basically everything. We’re lucky we don’t have to do the wall insulation.

13 Likes

Got an interview Friday for my manager’s old job.

Eeep. Not sure if I want it as between applying and the interview some other promotion pathways are going to become available to me

16 Likes

My partner applied for a new job in the same company that was a grade higher than he currently he is. After some shenanigans and lots of time, it was clear he had the new job. However when the written offer came in it was the grade he is now. We were expecting a celebration, instead now he is a bit disappointed. (He is also getting away from a toxic department, so that is good in any case).

And I am due for my next tooth surgery in an hour :slight_smile: Less nervous than previous ones.

13 Likes

The grade thing is disappointing, sure, but getting away from a toxic environment is priceless. That’s great news!

Also hope the surgery went well!

4 Likes