How are you today?

Well, they offered me the job. Now a different kind of nerves take over, from having to give my notice at my present one.

22 Likes

Remember, you don’t have to do anything besides say “my last day is X.”

5 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

This, I’ve never understood the whole resignation letter thing.

@Chewy77 Congratulations!

2 Likes

Whose got two thumbs and a new job?

This guy!

11 Likes

That is 100% going in my letter should I ever leave here

3 Likes

Resignation letters provide a chance to say things on your way out the door, whether it’s so long and thanks for all the fish or you suck. That’s hard for some people to resist. And if you’re resigning for Reasons, it makes some sense. If you are going somewhere because you got a better offer, I don’t see the point.

1 Like

On the other hand, at least in the UK, my experience has been you’ll be meeting some of those people again in two jobs’ time…

6 Likes

I’ve only ever written one sarcy resignation letter.

Applied for a job, before I started everyone involved in the process had left or retired.

Had no direct oversight and no one ever provided me with a contract to sign.

Left after 6 months. Suggested as I had no contract I give 2 weeks notice.

Never got confirmation my resignation was accepted. I left and they stopped paying me.

7 Likes

That is the preferred order, though not the universal one.

3 Likes

It was my surreal year of being a librarian. I’m happy to say it was bookended by two weird stories. This is the SFW one.

5 Likes

Sooo many questions.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the support, dear fellows. In my opinion, the letter/email just makes it official. Every time I have left a job has been on friendly terms, because you never know… and every time I have spoken first with my manager directly. Even if it caused me a tonne of nerves beforehand. But I think it is the decent thing to do.

8 Likes

It is teacher contract renewal season, which means I get to have lots of awkward conversations about people’s plans for the upcoming school year. As a dept. head, I always appreciate getting a letter when folks leave, so I can have some clarity on any issues they had working with the team. It’s a big help when assessing how well the unit is working, and making changes for the next year.

2 Likes

As of today, we are back to requiring masks at work. :frowning:

3 Likes

Got a call from my father in the middle of the day today. My mind immediately went to, “oh no, what’s happened?”.

Turns out he’d been on a call with someone else and been put on hold. Somehow when they connected him (or more likely disconnected) he ended up being routed to me.

Panic over.

2 Likes

My husband and I just got the notification that we are pre-approved for a home loan. Now we start looking for a house to buy. I realize we get a house at the end of this process and am very excited about that part, but the numbers involved are also very big and scary.

16 Likes

It was super hard to wrap my head around too when I moved in with my now-wife and acquired half a mortgage, LOL. Just a completely different scale than I was used to, my most expensive possession at the time was my computer, at $2,000. My mind was completely blown.

You get used to it. Congrats on the pre-approval!

5 Likes

Once you get past the initial fees and down payments and such, the month to month is barely different than your monthly payments for an apartment (assuming you had such). And these days, the mortgage payment may be even less than the monthly rental payment, depending on where you live. Certainly some of the apartments not too far from me are a good $500 more than my mortgage per month for similar square footage as my house, but I get the advantage of a rather large back yard (though I have to maintain it. Pros and cons).

Main difference is remember to keep a little nest egg when emergencies pop up (appliance dies, roof leak, etc.) as you don’t have a landlord to complain to in order to get things fixed anymore.

6 Likes

We’ve been living in a house his parents own, paying rent considerably below going market rates and are hoping to get a house that’s a bit bigger, maybe even double the size. We are very aware how lucky we’ve been with our super cheap housing to this point, but it adds to the sticker shock now.

11 Likes