How are you today?

Best wishes for your son’s recovery.

4 Likes

Thanks guys. I’m never more glad that I live in country with socially funded healthcare.

We took him in for a broken collarbone and the emergency ward didn’t check for concussion. We clocked it the following morning as he was thrownkng up and very drowsy and by the afternoon was in Alder Hey hospital having major surgery.l for a bleed on the brain.

Thankfully they also have a unit that is liaising with the school about what he can/can’t do.

7 Likes

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hopefully he will recover well.

2 Likes

You wouldn’t know he had such a traumatic injury aside from the scar.

Try telling a four year old not to run.

7 Likes

Crumbs. Thoughts are with you all.

It’s amazing what kids just bounce off and get on with. Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

3 Likes

I’m glad there are resources set up, and is well soon.

Oh man been in that fear zone. Youngest was 2 1/2 and messed with our friends (improperly mounted) 50 tv fell on him. I had turned to get him away from it (for the millionth time) did the whole ER thing and he had like a rug burn.

1 Like

Always better to go though.

1 Like

So, it was my wife’s Nan’s funeral today. Fortunately not Covid, she died of old age at home. The funeral was small, non religious and lovely. My father in law led it and a number of people, including my wife said a bit. Never has the word ‘stubborn’ been said more at a funeral. Covid made it very weird; no hugging, no wake and not everyone who wanted to go could. We decided to really encourage our boys to go - I think they’d have regretted it in the future if they hadn’t and I’m so glad they heard people saying how wonderful their Nanny was.

The grief has been an odd experience for me. My Grandads both died before I was born. My Nannas died when I was 17 & 22 and I was too young to appreciate death and grief at the time.

I’ve known my wife’s Nan for 20 years (so longer than my own Nanna) and she’s been a huge part of our lives. She adored my wife and my kids. My wife’s family are not ones to show or talk about emotions and feelings, whereas I am and I’ve not known how to express my feelings. It feels odd being more emotional about it than my wife.

The age gap between my Nanna and Kate’s Nan is over 10 years, but they were born within 20 miles of each other in South Yorkshire. Our plan is to get 2 white roses and grow them next to each other so they intertwine over the years.

My in laws aren’t gamers in the slightest so I only have 1 game memory of her. We were playing Perudo and she a) couldn’t remember the terminology and b) was quite drunk. Every time she went down to her last dice she loudly declared ‘dildo’.

Give your loved ones a call or text tonight.

22 Likes

The good news is: I just made it to 50044 words for my NaNoWriMo project. Yay. This is about half of a first draft. I am exactly in the middle of my outline.

The other news is: November really tried it’s best to prevent me from writing. Nothing bad just a number of mishaps of the usual kinds that added up. I’m exhausted.

9 Likes

Today feels strange. I have no copy editing assignments, I’ve invoiced for the ones I turned in this month, and I’ve submitted the first draft of my new GURPS book and had it acknowledged. I haven’t had a day with no work in my queue for a long time.

6 Likes

I legitimately do not remember the last time I had a day with no work.

Edit: No, that’s hyperbole. I have had a lot of days with unpaid work that I chose to do instead of relaxing or whatever. But there is always something looming that means I rarely get to enjoy any day without the threat of work I have to do ruining it for me.

1 Like

That’s actually not how I feel about it. I enjoy the work I do, and I find myself a bit at loose ends when I don’t have any. What I find harder to get myself to do is household tasks; I have to consciously choose to do those, other than cooking, which I take pleasure in.

2 Likes

I love the unpaid work I do: I want to be a writer, and that involves writing. I love writing!

What I don’t love is working 60+ hours in a week to pay bills, and then any time I try to relax from dealing with fothermucking customers that are happy to risk my life to buy their fifteenth copy of Monopoly (“The New Ms. Monopoly! Now with classism AND sexism!”) feeling guilty about it because I should be writing.

Weekends? What’s a weekend? Gotta write.
I had a fantastic, life-changing trip to Japan for 10 days last year. It was incredible! And I wrote every day because otherwise I would’ve been ripped to pieces by my own psyche. Am I making anything close to a living wage from writing yet? No? Then why aren’t I writing right now!?

Anyway. I do love writing. Honestly. It’s a dream job, and the times I’ve had where I can focus on writing have been the happiest days of my life. But yeah. It’s stressful not being able to focus on it.

7 Likes

Well, yes, but I love copy editing too. It can be tedious or stressful, but I have no desire to give it up. I desperately hope Congress doesn’t pass the Pro Act, because it will almost certainly deprive me of the ability to work as a freelancer, which is the only kind of work that’s available in my field.

Hey, I did Nanowrimo too - 50009 words, but a bit left to go, I’ve got two strands of the story flapping around in the breeze, have to sort that out.

And then I have to replace 32 name holders with proper names (mostly characters).

My outline got me thru to about halfway, I pantsed it from there. I think I would prefer to do a better outline in future.

7 Likes

I watched Brandon Sanderson’s Lecture at BYU to prepare for this one. (I skipped the final episodes on publishing)

I always thought I was 100% a pantser because all my previous attempts at following outlines failed. Now I know the reason was because my outlines sucked. This lecture had a couple of episodes that really clicked with me (the one with Mary Robinette being one of them). So now I think that I am maybe 50% pantser and 50% outliner. I made an outline for this throughout October and while unplanned things happened on the way to getting where I am, I am always returning to the outline this time around and I feel like I am actually getting the “arc” right for the first time. I still struggle a lot but this one feels so much better than my previous projects.

Same and not :slight_smile: I love writing and I want to create stories–badly. Despite that writing is something I find quite difficult, sure I can write lots and lots of words but I have yet to find the best genre/form where the words make a whole that is worth reading. But this November I truly had a few moments where the words just flowed and when I was done they even made sense as part of the story I am writing.

3 Likes

Welp, I’m out of work. Still got a job though, and at home at 80% pay with the prospect of being called in if more work arrives, at least for as long as the company lasts, anyway.

Shaky situation, but I’m going to make the most of it and, uh, work on my Roads & Boats Vassal module. Yes, that is the sensible thing to do.

12 Likes

Good luck. Hopefully not a long term situation.

4 Likes

Absolutely, that sounds like a good plan.

Hope it will all work out for you and the company can find more work.

3 Likes

Hopefully the uncertainty will resolve itself soon.

4 Likes