Heat: Pedal to the Metal

Just saw this on BGG:

My initial reactions as something of a connoisseur of racing games (though I’ve never played Formula Dé and I’d like to):

• Flamme Rougeula One? AHG and the use of an earlier era of the race, yes, but also the cards look familiar.
  • Fixed courses. I really prefer some kind of tile system, in part because I’m a completist and I’d rather buy three packs of new tiles than three packs of two tracks each.
  • Upgrades look interesting. Who gets them and when?

I’ll definitely be taking a look at SPIEL.

4 Likes

Oooh. I haven’t got Flamme Rouge to the table enough recently and I’ve never played it with Metéo, despite buying it two years ago but this looks right up my alley!

1 Like

Should I run another PBF Flamme Rouge? :slight_smile: And/or bring it along to Tekelilicon…

On the face of it, I think the hand management of FR works better in a cycling game (how hard are you pushing yourself right now) than for a car where for me it’s all about choice of speed and how you corner, but I’m interested to see what they do here.

3 Likes

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see what mechanics they lift from Flamme Rouge. Arguably things like slip-stream apply to both cycling and motor-racing but like you say, it feels better placed in a cycling game than being the core of a motor-racing game.

I’ve been fairly unimpressed with Days of Wonder’s output recently. They used to be the paragon of “do one thing at a time, and do it great”. Now they’re more of the “do one thing, give it nice art. And also, do another mini-Ticket to Ride box.”

That said, I’m looking forward to this one.

I saw this article and knew you’d be into this :fire::fire::fire::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

More up my alley than bike racing, given the praise FR gets I’m down for this one

More about HEAT on BGG:

My impression: Flamme Rouge v2.0, including in the base box a bunch of stuff that in FR was expansion content. My only concern is that each track is a separate board (Formula De style), rather than having tiles that you can arrange (Flamme Rouge and Rallyman GT style). But it’s not as though the track shape makes a huge difference…

Raised to “probably buy at Essen” for me.

5 Likes

I’d guess it’s the kind of game where there would be a fan made tiles expansion, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Certainly seems a generous enough box for the price.

2 Likes

I may well see what can be done with the Rallyman GT tiles I already have. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I popped this and a manual coffee grinder onto my Christmas wishlist. We’ll see if I was a good boy.

2 Likes

(What manual coffee grinder?)

1 Like

The Timemore C2 (I guess potentially C3). It’s available locally at a good price (for Canada) and I don’t shop Amazon. My options are somewhat limited unless I’m ok paying crazy shipping and/or duty (I’m not).

Which is not to say I feel like it’s much of a compromise since it’s been on my radar for several years now, but it’s certainly not without competition.

4 Likes