General Asynch Recruiting Thread

Welp, it’s got a tutorial. I’ll give it a go.

2 Likes

Life has been in the way for the past week. Unless I’m familiar with a game I find it hard to play online.

1 Like

I would have joined rftg, but I generally prefer longer games for async. For some reason, a week or more on a 20 min game feels wrong, while a month or more on a 2 h game might be the only way I get to play it.

3 Likes

Makes sense. I hoped to entice with the invasion module that might not see a physical table often. @raged_norm absolutely crushed me!

2 Likes

My eight year old’s favourite expansion.

It’s seen a lot of IRL play here.

1 Like

I got out of the async habit on holiday and haven’t got back into yet.

I really don’t get Xeno Invasion so always duck those games.

I’m sure I’ll get back into it.

2 Likes

For me I have learnt a few games playing with you and others on BGA but if I don’t know the game it takes time and cognitive load which I don’t have a lot of space for at the moment. I own a lot of games (maybe not for this forum) and am a quick teach, but BGA and forum game learning I seem to find harder - maybe just the elongated time involved.

I’ll be back and play more.

Also, related, I think regular poster numbers are dropping - @RogerBW may be able to tell me if the data reflects this - so a shrinking pool?

3 Likes

The graphs seem fine, but the graphs only reflect the latest month. I do occasionally say “by the way, I run a boardgaming forum” when I play games with interesting people, but mostly they don’t turn up here.

4 Likes

I’ll wait until the and we can start a game tomorrow.

If anyone fancies joining just click the link!

2 Likes

Ha it already started!

Speaking of an older games jag, I’m eying Nippon on BGA. 2015, 7.6 (which would be a 7.9 or so today), 3.7 complexity. I’ve been wanting to play it and perhaps others would too? I’ve really liked rediscovering La Granja, Carrara, and such.

I’ve downloaded the rules and we can open a table in a week after everyone has had a chance to familiarize?

Other similar downcatalog games would be Madiera (2013, 7.5, but 4+ complexity) and Signorie (2015, 7.3, 3.5 complexity). I want to eventually take all three of these for a spin. Happy to shift away from Nippon if a different game has more interest.

2 Likes

Reading up. Nippon has trains. Just saying.

1 Like

I remember Wyvern and I having a good time with it years ago. But im not really into revisiting it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Onlineboardgames will have Antiquity soon

3 Likes

I’ve been helping develop it (no programming, just UX stuff, and assets), but was sworn to secrecy until now.

7 Likes

As foreshadowed:
Play Nippon for free with me: Play Nippon online from your browser • Board Game Arena

(And even though it is old, it looks like there is a tutorial programmed).

Also, these things just keep dropping!
Play Orléans for free with me: Play Orléans online from your browser • Board Game Arena

And just in case:
Play Harvest for free with me: Play Harvest online from your browser • Board Game Arena
(It’s Trey Chambers, as in Argent and Empyreal. Meant to be a quick, 30 minute farm builder but it brings the interest up with asymmetrical farmers and a nice system of round bonuses)

I don’t know the rules for the second one and I’ve broadly forgotten how to play Orleans but I’ll be up for both of those.

I don’t know anything about nippon.

1 Like

River of Gold: Interesting. A midweight Euro that is a bit generic, but has a lot of charm to encourage however many plays it takes to play it out. I played on a phone which was a mistake, you really need to look at the whole board and all your options each turn. I’d be down for another round, this time on a bigger screen!

Forest Shuffle: I went through the full cycle - this game is so mundane, just Race for the Galaxy with a few combos plastered to its forehead and no mechanics for managing resources or actions. Ok, this game is rather interesting, every door you open closes another door. These are some real trade offs. And I"m losing pretty badly. Then, NO WINTER CARD, NO WINTER CARD, NO WINTER CARD, OMG MAESTRO HAS AN ARMY OF PINE MARTENS AND I CAN’T FIND A SALAMANDER TO SAVE MY LIFE.

Enjoyed it pretty well by the end. It’s a quick game but one with a ton of microturns, so async is a little rough unless you can get a bunch of turns in each day.

Sea Salt and Paper: I just hit my 100th game on BGA! I wonder if I can do Alpha yet? This was fun. A real sweet spot of interest and relaxation that I can see becoming evergreen.

I started my Nippon table with some randos. They are all doing the exact same moves for the first couple of turns, which makes me think that the opening game has been solved? We’ll see how it evolves.

2 Likes

I agree about the phone thing!

1 Like

Great Western Trail 2nd Edition
Play Great Western Trail for free with me: Play Great Western Trail online from your browser • Board Game Arena

Yokohama
Play Yokohama for free with me: Play Yokohama online from your browser • Board Game Arena

Terraforming Mars (no draft)
Play Terraforming Mars for free with me: Play Terraforming Mars online from your browser • Board Game Arena

Just One
Play Just One for free with me: Play Just One online from your browser • Board Game Arena

Troyes
Play Troyes for free with me: Play Troyes online from your browser • Board Game Arena

Castles of Burgundy
Play The Castles of Burgundy for free with me: Play The Castles of Burgundy online from your browser • Board Game Arena

3 Likes