Gaming Goals for 2022

I want to run the Pirates of Drinax Traveller campaign for at least one group and 3 one offs set in the Trojan Reaches.

I want to run at least one Mythras game set in mid 3rd century Syria.

Wargaming has to return to my table in 2022. A Song of Advanced Blades & Heroes (Ganesha Games), is my ruleset of choice. My friend has painted whole bands of Age of Sigmar minis and so we will play that, and I want to try some SF warship combat games, probably Star Eagles… A friend has Ronin from Osprey & someone has Kill Team.

In solo gaming I hope to continue to play the excellent Dragon Warriors solos from Red Ruin publishing, and 4AD from Ganesha as well as cracking open 5150 from two-hour wargaming.

Lots of boardgames need (more) playing, too many to list:
Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, The King is Dead, Five Tribes and so on.

3 Likes

Late to the party here but for 2022 I’m trying to keep my goals a bit more realistic this year after I only finished one of my goals from 2021.
The first one is I’m going to try to play all the games I didn’t play last year that I own. This is less a thing I’m going to strive for and more something to keep track off because if at the end of this year I still haven’t played these then I need to start asking myself whether I should own these.
The second goal is to try to conquer my shelf of shame and to have no unplayed games or expansions at the end of the year. This one I actually really want to do and am going to try hard to achieve. But it also might be much harder as I have slowly built up about 20 games and even more expansions than that. It’s a bit too much I’ve let my completionist tendencies get the best of me and I want to try to have a clean slate for the new year. The big complication is that I have Kickstarters still on the way that might make this difficult but we’ll see.

4 Likes

I want to win a game of Cthulhu: Death May Die by being the last one standing.

Also, maybe buy less games, or at least sell more. Maybe just one new game a month. And I think I can prune my collection down to 200 or so.

6 Likes

That’s my goal, too. 200 seems like a good size. I wonder if I can eventually fit it in a 5 by 5.

3 Likes

Well, I sold Fog of Love, so that’s a tick, and bought way less games on the second half of 2021.

I should consider selling some more games. But I need to have my collection on display before I do that.

I received my first few KS games recently (including some I did not remember booking, oops) and hopefully I will receive a few more (I know Townfolk Tussle is on his way, somewhere on a ship or warehouse at the minute) I think last year was my biggest KS year, but I slowed down on the second half of the year.

I think I have improved a lot my collection, by one of my goals must be get a shelf dedicated to games. They have been too long perched on top of bookshelves or scattered between cupboards. Or like most of them are right now, boxed in the garage.

So, prudently saying I need to manage my collection better, pruning here and there, and with fewer additions, that should do the trick. According to BGG I am on 54 games, and I think my KS/Gamefound will take me to that sweet 70-75 figure, so it will be a matter of managing more the traffic in and out this year.

2 Likes

End of Q1: - I know there’s more than a week to go before the end of March but hey-ho

• 20 Mid/Heavy Games - currently 77. Last time I want to reduce to 20 Medium and 20 Heavy. I’m going even lower

I’m currently at 66

• 20 Light Games - currently 64

Currently at 54

• Play all Unlock! Scenarios - currently 23 - social distancing killed this dream but let’s try it this year.

Only played 1 out 23 lol

I am very happy with the progress so far.

8 Likes

So far I haven’t bought any new games this year. My husband, on the other hand…

4 Likes

My collection size has been mostly stable despite some new acquisitions—thanks to some selling activities in January and February. However, I am not exactly a fan of this month’s streak of stress-buying… I think selling a few more games will alleviate some of that.

Overall though I am much more happy with what’s on the shelves. I got rid of a number of unloved boxes and it has become quite difficult to find games to sell. There are still a few I am undecided about.

3 Likes

Somehow missed this thread the first time around… My goals are as follow:

1. I want to play some of our unplayed games. I have an excuse for Bitoku (I want to see if the French rules become available sonewhere, as it would make the teach easier, although I will not wait if the mood strikes) and Pandemic Legacy 1 (we wanna try and figure out a way to make it re-usable), but Ghost Stories? There’s no real reason for that to sit untouched for almost a year. Yes, my shelf of shame is PALTRY. I’m quite proud of that. :grin:

2. We want to throw a board game night, maybe a whole week-end. Wouldn’t that be grand?

That’s it, really. I’d like for some of the games I got on order (French-language editions of Beyond The Sun and Spirit Island beimg at the very top of that list) to come in, but I have zero control over THAT…

6 Likes

I removed the 20 mid/heavy + 20 light big boxes distinction. Found it getting restrictive on how to mould my collection. Just 40 big box now. I’m now thinking that this seems impossible to strictly reach 40, but that’s fine. For as long as the number goes down.

From this target of 40, I had 120 from the end of Q1 (66 + 54). I’m now at 97. I also went on and start reducing on small box games as well, even if they aren’t part of my goal for this year…

Unlock scenarios: still at 1/23 lol

3 Likes

Just before October comes around: I went down from 97 three months ago to 83. I haven’t counted how many light games I had before, but I end up getting rid of several.

5 Likes

This year has been successful in terms of buying. I bought 2 games. Citta-Statto because I like Kepler and SVWAG were enthusiastic. However it remains unplayed, there’s no digital rulebook and I’ve struggled for the will. 1880 has been on the list ever since I heard of the reprint. I preordered only one game this year, 18GB which promises to be a shorter playing game in the genre and I got it along with some expansions to titles I’m keen on. I have got some new games in via trades which I’m not counting as purchases, I think 5 in total, 3 have been played and one is as yet undelivered.

I have 3 other games outstanding on preorders, Primal: The Awakening, 1889 and Horseless Carriage.

I did a tired, bored, long-covid splurge and hit ~125 games but with some consistent selling I’m down to 96. My life has changed and I’m now much lower on gaming time. I had more 18xx in the sell pile but the announcement of no reprints by AAG has taken some off the sell pile, which may be temporary. I have 7 total games on the sell pile currently and a bunch more I assume will go after some more plays.

5 Likes

Went down to 70. Which is a bit far from the goal of 40. But considering I started at 141, that was a big deal. The Unlock! goal didn’t happened at all lol.

7 Likes

I think I managed about 11 months without buying any new games. I’ll admit to picking up The Crew and Inkling in the Boxing Day sales. Now I’m back to buying no new games until we’ve played all of our unplayed games. I’ll allow myself trades and one Kickstarter (my friend has designed a game which is due on Kickstarter this year).

We have started going regularly to a new gaming group, which is a good development, and have had a few game days with colleagues. Hopefully we can keep these going :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Interesting year of Gaming for me. With a lot of ups and downs, and also with new competition from RPGs (we ran the Lost Mine of Phandelver campaign this year and had a few more one shots with family and friends) I had still a few good months of gaming (January, October and December being the best by far).

Regarding the targets to complete from a few comments above:

Done, and it is full already, with a few games having to live on the cupboard next to it in the garage.

I have had mainly additions from Kickstarters/Gamefound this year, although they were a few more than I expected. I bought Tales of Arabian Nights, Rolling Realms, Iwari (Deluxe Ed), Sleeping Gods and Cthulhu Death May Die, all second hand.

I’m on around 70 (including games form the children like Uno, Game of Life and the like) with three more Crowdfunded games on their way (Arydia/Xia and The Witcher: Old World); the one thing that I haven’t managed well is to play my unplayed games. The list is still too long (18)

6 Likes

So… my collection has grown back some (ca. 240 including preorders excluding games marked for the sell-pile or for being kept as „collector‘s items“). I didn‘t do any more pruning in recent months for reasons that became more complicated and convoluted as months went buy (the typo says it all). I noticed that I buy fewer games the more I play. So some acquisitions may be to blame on not finding enough time to play.

We are back to meeting friends for games in person but not as much as I‘d like. At least we‘re no longer held back by covid. I blame the stressful renovations of my parental home on a lot of buying-instead-of-playing.

Knowing that I will have a LOT more space for games when we move in the (probably) the next 4-6 months… has kept me from pruning more. I have a couple of minor regrets from selling games (but mostly because my overall collection is bigger again) so that also held me back. I am not unhappy with my acquisitions and I know another reckoning will happen after the move.

I managed to play 44/50 unplayed games from my collection but with new acquisitions that is not that surprising. I have 45 unplayed games sitting on my shelves right now which is possibly slightly less than at the start of the year and possibly not. Some of these will get pruned at some point.

I have almost completed a 10x10 solo challenge (3 more games of Everdell or 5 more of Ark Nova or 4 more of Regicide would do it).

My my non solo challenge languishes around 66% with no chance of completion. But considering that my partner played almost no games with me for two thirds of the year (also stress) that looks pretty good and I owe that to my friends who indulge my hobby on BGA.

Overall not a bad year for me in games. I never get to play as much as I want anyway :slight_smile:

In the last 365 days I logged 444 plays of 103 unique games. This includes some app games (mostly Terraforming Mars) and my BGA plays.

7 Likes

So, let’s see how we did…

My game collection grew by 36 games, but shrunk by 4 for a total change of 32 games gained (and a number of expansions, but those don’t count!). BUT!!! I only purchased 14 of them. Many were gifts for my birthday or Christmas, two (Everdell and V-Sabotage) were KS fulfillments, four were gained when four left my collection during the SHUX math trade, and there were a number of freebies from SHUX itself. Plus, the three Unmatched sets, while games in their own right, are practically expansions, right? So really, not too bad there. And I do think that Ra and Floating Floors are my only crowdfunded games that I am expecting at this point??

Still have not played an Exit or Unlock game, but hope to get the Star Wars Unlock game to the table before the end of the year.

8 Likes

I can safely say I’ve managed this.

More plays of my favourite games would be my goal again. I’ve got tekeli con and Aire Con in the diary so meeting some more forumites will be something to look forward to.

11 Likes

No post for 2023 or did I miss it?

2 Likes

I was going to make that the thread starter, but @lalunaverde beat me to it. Probably for the best. :slight_smile:

3 Likes