Farewell Euro Classics

That was not meant to be a complete list or any sort of fixed criteria… sorry if it came across that way. It was meant as a roundabout way of saying that I assume that people who care enough about games to come to a game forum tend to form their own opinions through a variety of means. Again sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that going to conventions or backing kickstarters was in any way a requirement for anything.

2 Likes

Where else does one hear about games that don’t have big PR budgets? (Serious question.) SU&SD news was good for that. I’ve been reading Dicebreaker (they announce all the big stuff as well, but if I see that the subject is some big game I know I won’t be interested) and sometimes BGG’s news items.

I still can’t remember where I heard about Leaving Earth, mind you. To my perception, it was suddenly a game I liked the look of and was helping to import into the UK. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got my copy in a game store in the US when I asked the staff if they had anything that would be hard to get over in Europe. The cover looked so beautifully retro that I had to have it. Also space. I had never heard about it before. I had already bought so many books though during that stay that I couldn’t afford (the space in the suitcase) to also get the expansions which it took me a while to find back here…

For myself, I have figured out a few people among the boardgame reviewers whom I pay close attention to because while my tastes do not align exactly with them, they have pointed me to interesting games in the past. Other than that it’s probably spending too much time browsing BGG, r/boardgames, discussion.tekeli.li and youTube/podcasts, boardgame Kickstarters or going through “this new in” shelves both online and offline.

3 Likes

I’d say r/boardgames. Especially if you open up a question, there’s always a number of titles I’ve never heard of and the recommendations are usually tailored to whatever interests you’ve expressed.

1 Like

In the days when I frequented r/boardgames, SUSD news certainly felt like stating the bloody obvious 95% of the time. There’s not much that get by the sub, with all the usual ‘Reddit is a toxic cesspit that stymies and degenerates any discussion’ caveats. It’s healthy to sometimes stare into the abyss!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Games you think everyone should know about

The plot thickens:

I suspect that if you go to Reiner Knizia and say “I would like to do a new edition of your game” he asks for quite a bit of money. If – for whatever reason – it doesn’t sell as well as you thought it would, that may be a problem potentially leading to breach of contract.

1 Like

The romour mill is, I repeat The Rumour Mill, is that they didn’t pay royalties.

Comment from Facebook

I’m confused. Who are we burning now? Is it RK or Grail Games. Sod it, let’s burn both

Grail Games are still publishing, RK is still selling games. So I think this is more ‘setting the record straight’

2 Likes

Why do we have to burn someone? I mean, assuming neither did anyhting awful.

People online are just so weird nowadays.

5 Likes

But I’ve got all this fire ready and everything.

#notapyromaniac

5 Likes

Because it’s easy to know how to run a business when you’re sitting on Reddit/Facebook after the fact.

3 Likes

My ability to identify a Strike from the Mezzanine is unequaled.

2 Likes

It was very much tongue in cheek, but yes there is only black and white.

1 Like

I think on the face of it grail games did a dirty on RK. Now this might have been okay in some sense (I mean if the money to pay RK isn’t there from crap sales what are you gonna do? But they still broke an agreement which is not good ) but they tried to make it out that they were doing something sensible and I’m not sure spinning what they did was fair on RK.

1 Like

Well, they’ve taken down the post in which they said “eh, his sales were bad”. Obviously it’s still archived, but that’s the closest one can get to a retraction these days without actually admitting one was wrong.

3 Likes

Clearly not everyone thinks that there’s no market for the Good Doctor. From BGG news:

UK publisher Alley Cat Games plans to bring a design by Fabio Lopiano (Merv) and Nestore Mangone (Newton) to Kickstarter in the second half of 2021, then will follow this with a “deluxified and remastered reprint of a very famous [Reiner] Knizia game” in January 2022.

Why do they have to tease, can’t they just say.

Infuriates me no end

1 Like

Gotta be T&E right? One of the few Knizias that could be deluxified. Even then I’d want some decent weighted chips or wood, not chunks of plastic

2 Likes

Samurai? Through the Desert?

My money’s on one of the Euro Classics for sure