Emergency Rations

Water in a sealed container is probably okay, if it’s not visibly grown algae. It’s conceivable that the bottle has Leached something into the water, but it’s pretty unlikely.

3 Likes

I remember reading many years ago ways to make water potable, and one was by having a silver spoon in the tank (this was Aussie), but I admit I don’t know how much truth is behind it. I know silver is bacteriostatic, but I am unsure about its properties against algae and fungi.

When I was a kid in the Canaries we did only have running water on Tuesdays and Fridays, and that’s why every block of flats had a tank on the top terrace of the house. And the main reason for that schedule was to avoid having water stored too long.

It was common to see the odd mainlander coming over on holidays on a Friday night and run out of water by Saturday night having showers left right and centre, and filling the tub to fight the heat. Soon they had to learn that water was scarce and had to be used wisely. Luckily, we had water running by the onset of the 90s.

3 Likes