Dune: Imperium Review - A SU&SD Dust-Up

2021-07-28T17:02:18Z

2 Likes

I want recipes for those desserts! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

A legit laughed out loud at ā€œDune, by Herbert Herberberptā€.

Iā€™m chuckling just writing that.

6 Likes

I had a good laugh at the Bowie/ Alan Bennet agents.

I am beginning to worry that Matt thinks tables are only accessed from underneath.

3 Likes

Taken from the viewpoint of analysing reviews, this is fascinating ā€“ I often disagree with Matt, but I really appreciated the way he presented this, which I might sum up as ā€œthis is generally a class of game we donā€™t like, and the others didnā€™t like it, but for me it has that certain something that makes it funā€.

9 Likes

Seems to me Quinns just dislikes deck builders with random markets.

I found the thematic integration in Dune Imperium quite well done personally. And having that one spot require that you have advanced on the Fremen track is not that difficult to remember. The iconography is really clear and the whole game is not a hard teach at all.

I think Matt is right that the board will get too tight with more than 3 players. Even at two with the bot deck it is possible that you run out of options (if you fail at deck building for a variety of spots).

Random markets in general have the problem with card choices that both Tom and Quinns complain about. There are a few easy fixes like Hardback does where certain market constellations give you the option to clear the marketā€¦ if it really is a problem Iā€˜d consider a house rule for this. (I donā€˜t really do house rules but random markets to tend to lead to some discussion of this depending on how the game goes)

6 Likes

Random markets have been bad in every deckbuilder Iā€™ve tried that has one. As have random dungeons, random bosses, pretty much any extra random.

2 Likes

This review made me want to try out this dunc game.

2 Likes

I think one of my Dune loving friends impulse bought this the other day so I look forward to playing it at some point. That and the other Dune game he has.

2 Likes

Well, you are the one who went to all the trouble to remake your Dominion game into wooden disks. I am not surprised you are with Quinns on this one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As a lover of great (or bad) puns, Matt deserves a standing ovation for his ā€œFremen with Bene Geseritsā€ line.

8 Likes

You might have noticed he took good care of himself in that regard. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

As a non native speaker it took me until your comment to ā€¦ understand??? it? I think? I was wondering about all that applause and what I had missed :wink: Thanks.

3 Likes

There were questions about it in the Discord and/or YouTube comments as well. Doesnā€™t necessarily hit with non-native English speakers.

2 Likes

I donā€™t get it and Iā€™m a native uk English speaker.

2 Likes

I think if you mumble mumble it might end up sounding like friends with benefits. But itā€˜s a looong stretch.

4 Likes

That is the nature of puns and wordplay, of course, and other languages have them too which you may not get unless you are a native speaker, beyond just being almost fluent. At least to me, it was a belter.

2 Likes

For sure, my mind is made up. But I reached that conclusion from a starting point of playing a load of other deckbuilders before I ever played Dominion, and initially thinking all the bolted on stuff was great and Dominion was boring.

2 Likes

I did get it, and loved it.

But then I have immersed in Anglo speaking culture for nearly two decadesā€¦

1 Like

I got it but I think itā€™s a pretty sweaty one.

1 Like