Crunchy Euros: Septima, Hamlet, Tabriz, Galileo Project, Deal with the Devil, Sabika, and Air Mail

2022-09-23T17:23:10Z

Immediate visceral reactions, for which my scale is more or less (1) don’t care, (2) will play if someone waves it under my nose but will probably forget about it, (3) will seek it out for a demo, (4) will buy unplayed (very rare). I’m starting from the position of having lots of games I like and little space for new acquisitions, so I’m certainly being harsher than I was five or ten years ago.

(And generally crunchy Euros aren’t a style of game I favour.)

00:32 Septima - a lot of moving parts (potions, witch hunter and trials, bonus board) but this still looks interesting to me. 3
06:57 Hamlet - whereas this looks a bit Keyflower and doesn’t appeal. 2
12:36 Tabriz - I have no time for Cascadia, and this reminds me of a reduced version of Fresco. 2
17:39 Galileo Project - for me this drops the theme and doesn’t offer a compelling abstraction to replace it. 2
23:52 Deal With the Devil - app required, looks like. Reminds me of Alchemists, an interesting bit plugged into a standard Euro. 1
32:16 Sabika - abstraction gap. And lots of beige. 2
39:26 Air Mail - another aggressively dull visual design, and the gameplay doesn’t seem sufficiently cunning to overcome that. 1

2 Likes

This is much more my jam, so far.

Hamlet and Sabika looked really cool to me. Intrigued by Septima and Galileo Project as well.

While Deal With the Devil sounds fascinating, I’m not a fan of apps in games on principle, and its 4-player requirement makes it untenable here.

The rest failed to really make an impression.

1 Like

The four player thing in devil makes me feel like the game must be polished to a mirror shine but alas - never to be played.

1 Like

We’ll make up half of the table

2 Likes

Only Hamlet and Air Mail interests me. Both seems old school. More info needed on Air Mail, because having routes being claimed by other players isn’t enough. It all depends on how the incentive structure of the game works.

2 Likes

Hamlet designer diary

2 Likes